Is there a way to Download/Transfer/Copy Multiple Files at the Exact Same Time in Linux Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyfreshuser

Is there a way to Download/Transfer/Copy Multiple Files at the Exact Same Time in Linux Mint?

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Hi all.

Is there a way to download/transfer/copy multiple files at the exact same time in Linux Mint?

I am backing up one drive to multiple other drives, but right now it's only copying the information to one drive at a time. If this back up to multiple drives could be done at the exact same time, it would presumably save a lot of time.

If there isn't a way to download/transfer/copy multiple files at the same time in Linux Mint, does anyone know of any other way to back up information to multiple drives at the same exact time?

The distro of Linux Mint that I'm using on this secondary computer is Linux 18.3 Sylvia and the desktop environment is Cinnamon 3.6.6 if that helps.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: Is there a way to Download/Transfer/Copy Multiple Files at the Exact Same Time in Linux Mint?

Post by Mattyboy »

Using the command line, multiple terminals, allows me to move files at the same time from different source and destination paths. Not sure if the overall time to complete all operations is quicker than if you were doing it one at a time, consecutively but you can 'walk away'.

https://www.computerhope.com/unix.htm
Look up the move command

Code: Select all

mv

and
Copy

Code: Select all

cp

Return to “Beginner Questions”