truncated screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

truncated screen

Post by zipidachimp »

A new website I'm using utilizes 6 columns across. With my normal font size, I only see 4 columns across with 2 columns beneath. Is there any way to expand the screen without shrinking my font size to something unreadable? There is plenty of white space on either side of what's visible. Thanks in advance. 17.2 rafaela
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: truncated screen

Post by Cosmo. »

zipidachimp wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:35 pm A new website I'm using
Top secret?
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

A lot depends on the particulars of that website - - is this something you created, or is it a site you're visiting? Do the same symptoms occur when using a different browser? How about a different computer, or under Windows?

Websites do have the ability to specify font sizes, font faces, column & <div> widths, margin spacing, etc. Are you sure it's not just a poorly-designed webpage, or one designed for a particular screen size? No offence intended if it's your site - - simply trying to get more information. What you've posted just isn't enough to really point to anything in particular...
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zipidachimp »

Sorry. it's a site similar to yahoo finance. there is no problem in yahoo finance if I increase font size, but this new site goes bonkers with the larger font size. I can fix it with a smaller font. but it's hard to read.
On this linux mint site, the entire screen is in use, as it is on yahoo. On the other site, it is only active in the centre, with large white space either side. Many other sites also have lots of wasted space on the sides.

Would appreciate a solution before I go cross-eyed. Cheers! 8)

ps: for those interested, the new site is' Qtrade.ca'
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Is it possible the site thinks you're using a mobile device? Does the URL look something like m.somesite.com?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Here's something worth trying (maybe.)

Set your font size to something that allows you see all the columns in one row, then press and hold Ctrl and then press + as many times as it takes to make it readable for you.

For me, this works on the front page of that site using Firefox. (i.e. the whitespace decreases with each zoom.)
zipidachimp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zipidachimp »

Thanks, MrEen: it works, shoulda thunkit myself. Looking a gift horse in he mouth, this appears a work-around that works, but is the narrow appearance of this site because it's optimized for Windows? Should I even ask if there is a fix involving linux system? Sorry, I can never leave well enough alone, haha! 8)

Return to “Beginner Questions”