<SOLVED>What is "peaq_wmi"?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
L7vanmatre

<SOLVED>What is "peaq_wmi"?

Post by L7vanmatre »

Hey all. I've been using Linux Mint for a little while now, but I recently acquired an issue which much searching finally found a solution.

But the solution says to do the command

Code: Select all

rmmod peaq_wmi
, which the answerer said that if it fixes the solution, then they can blacklist it by typing

echo "blacklist peaq_wmi" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
Researching what it is doesn't come up with anything that I understand. A driver of some sort, I think? Anyway, I wanted to know, what exactly is "peaq_wmi?"

Also, sorry if this post infringes on any rule I missed. I provided a bit of backstory to try to give some context to help any answer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What is "peaq_wmi"?

Post by catweazel »

L7vanmatre wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:55 am I wanted to know, what exactly is "peaq_wmi?"
It's a driver for a PEAQ laptop's Dolby button.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
L7vanmatre

Post by L7vanmatre »

Ah, alright. Thank you!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

L7vanmatre wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:10 am Ah, alright. Thank you!
You're most welcome. Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: <SOLVED>What is "peaq_wmi"?

Post by Termy »

You may find this alias I wrote to be quite useful. You can find it over here, but here it is:

# Display a descriptive list of kernel modules.
if [ -x /sbin/lsmod -a -x /sbin/modinfo ]; then
	lsmodd(){
		while read -a X; do
			[ "${X[0]}" == "Module" ] && continue
			Y=`/sbin/modinfo -d "${X[0]}"`
			[ "$Y" ] && printf "%s - %s\n" "${X[0]}" "$Y"
		done <<< "$(/sbin/lsmod)"
	}
fi
To use it, copy and paste that code block into the bottom of your ~/.bashrc file, then restart bash or the terminal. Assuming you have lsmod and modinfo (you should by default), then it'll work. To use this function, just enter lsmodd; the extra 'd' is for detail, although, now that I think about it, it should probably be for 'describe'. :roll:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Beginner Questions”