[solved] how get root access on linuxmint file explorer?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
re4397
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] how get root access on linuxmint file explorer?

Post by re4397 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:46 am

how get root access on linuxmint GUI file explorer?
I want make changes in /usr/local but I don't have permissions, and I don't want to use the terminal because the terminal is prehistoric.

Solved: Right click an empty space in the folder, and click in "Open as Root".
Last edited by re4397 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrEen
Level 5
Level 5

Re: how get root access on linuxmint file explorer?

Post by MrEen » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:49 am

Right click an empty space in the folder. Is Open as Root available?

re4397
Level 1
Level 1

Re: how get root access on linuxmint file explorer?

Post by re4397 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:55 am

Great. Thank you.

MrEen
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [solved] how get root access on linuxmint file explorer?

Post by MrEen » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:01 am

You are welcome. You might want to consider making a backup of any file before editing it.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:12 am

re4397 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:46 am
I don't want to use the terminal because the terminal is prehistoric.
On the contrary: it's the "Swiss army knife" of Linux.... 8)

So cool and handy in fact, that even the Windows developers wanted (and got) it in Windows:
The real reason why Canonical and Microsoft brought Ubuntu to Windows 10 was to enable system administrators and developers to use Bash and other Linux shell programs, such as make, gawk and grep, on Windows.
Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-run ... indows-10/
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:52 am

re4397 wrote:
... I don't want to use the terminal because the terminal is prehistoric. ...
I sympathize ... I had enough CLI in the 80s so I use GUI tolls over CLI mostly ... but I don't really think it's possible to 100% avoid the terminal in Linux.

And speaking of prehistoric, Unix, which is what Linux, Android, and OS X are all derived from, was first released in 1973 or so.

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Moem » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 am

re4397 wrote:
I don't want to use the terminal because the terminal is prehistoric.
There is no shame in saying 'I prefer a GUI option because I'm not familiar with the terminal'. :wink:

I'm glad your issue was solved, and thank you for marking it as such!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 am

re4397 wrote:
... I don't want to use the terminal because the terminal is prehistoric. ...
I sympathize ... I had enough CLI in the 80s so I use GUI tolls over CLI mostly ... but I don't really think it's possible to 100% avoid the terminal in Linux.

And speaking of prehistoric, Unix, which is what Linux, Android, and OS X are all derived from, was first released in 1973 or so.

re4397
Level 1
Level 1

Post by re4397 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:08 am

I think that we Lost time using terminal and is one more thing to lead, that we dont need to learn if the system Can you can do it For Me

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Moem » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:22 am

That works, as long as you want to do things that can be done in the GUI. The terminal is more versatile than the GUI, it can do things for which there are no buttons. The system can't always do it for you, or sometimes it can, but you'll have to use the right tools to tell it what to do.

It's like the difference between someone driving a car, using the buttons and pedals and the steering wheel, and a mechanic who opens the hood to directly make changes to the settings of the engine and caburettor. We don't all have to be mechanics, but we still need them to exist, and now and then they do have the best solutions for keeping our cars running! Especially if something is wrong.

Also, keep in mind that it's often much more efficient to tell someone a command and say 'Please run this in the terminal' than to say 'Okay, I want you to run this tool... it's on the menu, category this-or-that, wait, which desktop environment are you running? Oh, on that one it's not preinstalled, please go to the Software Manager... yes, that's on the menu... no, not that button, the other one...'
People who help others here only have 24 hours in a day, and we try to help solve as many problems as we can, and very often, the terminal is just the quickest way to get there.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

pbear
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pbear » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:35 pm

FYI, there are two other ways to do this and they're more handy (IMHO) if one needs to edit more than one file. Both start in Terminal, but it's just one command, then you're in a GUI app with root privileges.

1. Run gksudo caja (or whatever file manager your system uses). Navigate to the files. Open with right-click will bring up the text editor with privileges.

2. Run gksudo xed (or whatever text editor you're using). Use File Open to select files. Again, you'll be able to edit with root privileges.

Exit file manager or text editor when done, which will take you back to Terminal. Close it.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

Return to “Newbie Questions”