(solved) Using search and advanced search.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

(solved) Using search and advanced search.

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

I would like to find a string of words, ie; two or more words that follow in sequence. For instance, I am having difficulty with keyboard and mouse lag / response delay. Both search and advanced search find every instance of mouse, keyboard, lag, response and delay, however, as of this message, I have not been able to find instances where combinations of these words appear in sequential order. I have used several of these search terms in combination to verify the results described.

I have a question as to how to correct delay / lag issues, but I should like to read what others may have done before posting my question. I would prefer to find an answer that has already been provided, rather then starting a new thread. However I have no desire to wade through 400 plus pages of search results.

Respectfully, Massively ignorant
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Using search and advanced search.

Post by all41 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Have you tried stringing the search terms using a plus +?
such as
mouse+keyboard+response+lag
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

All41,

Thank you for your response.

I did try adding + once and didn't get the expected results, i.e.; mouse delay etc. I will try that again and see what happens.

Respectivefully, Massively ignorant
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

All41

I have now tried mouse+delay and mouse +delay, I have gotten in the neighborhood of 400 hits, but again mouse+delay and mouse +delay find individual instances of each word, the only string was in my own post about using search.

I did note a discussion about mouse focus delay, I am not familiar with that term, but will web search to see if there is an explanation, perhaps the mouse focus delay may be a thread to read.

Thank you
Respectively
Massively ignorant
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Put it in quotes: "mouse delay" - I got 4 hits
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

IMHO, the most important thing is that you make a sincere attempt to find prior threads and mention you did so in your post asking for help.

As for your question, I can think of no search engine I've ever tried which used sequence of the search terms. Frankly, I doubt it comes up often enough to be worth the trouble. Also, in my experience, loading up on search terms generally isn't an effective strategy.

Here on the Mint Forum, the strategy I find works best is to pick just two or three search terms and run those in Topic titles only. For example, I just tried a search for mouse keyboard, restricted to Topic titles. This generated a large list, but the first page (20 results) got me back to May 2017. IMHO, there's almost never much point going back further than that, as earlier solutions probably won't still apply anyway. Scanning the list, I see a few threads worth checking out.

BTW, be aware the forum search engine will not search for three letter words, so the most useful term (lag) can't be used here. (Try again and you'll see a notice it was ignored.) In this case, then, I'd also run an internet search, e.g., Linux mouse lag. After working through the first page or two of results, I'd try again, narrowing the search, e.g., Linux Mint mouse lag and Ubuntu mouse lag.

It's an art rather than a science, but usually the answer is out there. If not, or you can't find it after sincere effort, that's what the forum is for.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

To search results specifically within the Mint forums prefix your browser's search with 'site:forums.linuxmint.com'
for example:
site:forums.linuxmint.com mouse lag
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Slipstick,
Pbear,
all41,

Thank you each for your replies, I will keep trying to find prior threads using the various methods suggested.

And thank you all for the encouragement.

Respectfully, Massively ignorant

Return to “Beginner Questions”