I want to use my touchscreen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
babybaloo

I want to use my touchscreen

Post by babybaloo »

I have just installed Linux Mint on my HP notebook/laptop. I seem to be able to use the touchscreen for most ordinary purposes, but not for games. I also can't scroll down pages by touching the screen ad sliding my finger. Is it possible to change this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I want to use my touchscreen

Post by Hoser Rob »

Don't know if I'll be much help but I can say you need to provide some useful info. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here ...

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
... and what sorts of games are you talking about?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
babybaloo

Post by babybaloo »

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to be so vague. I only play board-type games, not action or role-play ones. I find the touchpad awkward to use, which is why I bought a touchscreen. Before I loaded Linux I was able on Windows 10 to play things like Patience using the touchscreen.
the result from the Terminal is this;

System:    Host: alexander-Aspire-X1430 Kernel: 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana)
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: Aspire X1430 Bios: AMI v: P01-C1 date: 11/16/2011
CPU:       Dual core AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 5188
           clock speeds: max: 1300 MHz 1: 1300 MHz 2: 780 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler HDMI Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-116-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: NetGear WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]
           driver: ath9k_htc usb-ID: 001-003
           IF: wlan0 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (2.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD20EARX size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.8T used: 38G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.75GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 75.8C mobo: N/A gpu: 75.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 171 Uptime: 7:04 Memory: 1274.9/3440.5MB
           Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28
Last edited by Moem on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding code tags [</>]. They retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

Odd - I do have an all-in-one system running 17.3 Cinnamon, and the touchscreen works perfectly?
From what I gather, the Aspire X1430 you have is a desktop/tower system, and the touchscreen monitor is something you've added on separately?

If that's the case, then we're also going to need some info about your particular touchscreen monitor. Do you have the brand name & model number?

Although the brand name & model may be enough, the EDID info may also be helpful. To get it, do the following:

sudo apt-get install read-edid
sudo get-edid | parse-edid
Then paste the output of the 2nd command in your reply.
babybaloo

Post by babybaloo »

I'm sorry about that, The acer is my husband's desktop. I asked him to do the terminal stuff - I just forgot to tell him to do it on my machine! My machine is a HP Stream x360 Convertible 11 aa0XX with an 11.6" touchscreen. Is that more useful? It's not that the touchscreen doesn't work, just for scrolling sometimes and for boardgames.
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

The only distribution I found which is touch-screen friendly out of the box is Fedora Workstation with Gnome. It has live image so you can try it to see if it will fit your needs better.
babybaloo

Post by babybaloo »

I'll try that, thanks
babybaloo

Post by babybaloo »

Thank you all for your help. I have tried different games for different sources and some of them are touch friendly and some aren't. Maybe it's to do with how new they are or not. Still can only screen up and down using the 'page up/down buttons and that will only work with a sidebar. Since my hands are unsteady the buttons are easier for me to use. Still, on the whole the touchscreen suits my needs better than without. I'll just have to do some serious studying and spend less time playing games.

Return to “Beginner Questions”