[SOLEVED]Failed to install wine on linux mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vccy
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLEVED]Failed to install wine on linux mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Post by vccy »

Hi, I would like to seek help. :?

I am new to linux. Can said is first time. Programming for me is like a baby first time learning how to walk. LOL

I have problem in installing Wine. I tried to follow online instruction and failed. Below are my source code using terminal.

vincent@vincent-HP-Mini-210-1000 ~ $ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
vincent@vincent-HP-Mini-210-1000 ~ $ wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
File ‘Release.key’ already there; not retrieving.

vincent@vincent-HP-Mini-210-1000 ~ $ sudo apt-key add Release.key
OK
vincent@vincent-HP-Mini-210-1000 ~ $ sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
vincent@vincent-HP-Mini-210-1000 ~ $ sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/xenial main'
vincent@vincent-HP-Mini-210-1000 ~ $ sudo apt-get update
E: Malformed entry 2 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list (Suite)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
vincent@vincent-HP-Mini-210-1000 ~ $ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
E: Malformed entry 2 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list (Suite)
vincent@vincent-HP-Mini-210-1000 ~ $

BTW, after trying on the above coding, I can launch Software Manager APPS. Any idea how to solve it?

Appreciate all the replies.

Thanks

Regards
Vincent.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Failed to install wine on linux mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Post by pbear »

For anyone who wants to pitch in, vccy is trying to install per these instructions on the Wine website.

So, you've made two errors. First, the second add-repository line was supposed to REPLACE the first. Second, there is supposed to be a space between ubuntu/ and xenial, i.e., the correct command is sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'.

Before you can proceed, you need to delete or fix the errant sources file. Open File Manager; go to File System, then navigate to /etc/apt/sources.list.d; right-click and open additional-repositories.list (this will be read-only, but that's enough for present purposes). If the only lines there are the ones complained about in the error message, close and delete the file: sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list. If there is anything else in the document, don't delete; instead, copy-and-paste the text into your next message and we can talk about how to fix.

Once that's cleaned up, try doing the install again, using the correct command (and only the one). You don't need to run the first three lines again - those should have taken fine the first time - just the last three:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Assuming the installation goes through, you need next to configure Wine by running winecfg in Terminal (no sudo). At some point, you'll be prompted whether to install Mono and Gecko. Do so. And do so from winecfg rather than Software Manager, recommendation in dialogue notwithstanding, as this assures you get the current version of those supporting apps.
vccy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vccy »

Hi,

Really appreciate your reply pbear. I had followed your instructions on installing wine, and really works. Really thank you for your time. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Regards

Vincent
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [SOLEVED]Failed to install wine on linux mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Post by pbear »

You're welcome. Glad it worked out.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

pbear wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:11 am For anyone who wants to pitch in,
With what? Oh wait, I see what you missed!

Hi vccy, and welcome to the forum! :D
vccy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLEVED]Failed to install wine on linux mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Post by vccy »

MrEen wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:47 pm
pbear wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:11 am For anyone who wants to pitch in,
With what? Oh wait, I see what you missed!

Hi vccy, and welcome to the forum! :D
Hi, MrEen

I am glad I can find the right answer here. You guys really helpful. I am really newbie in programming. Seriously I just know how to copy and paste. :wink:

Regards

Vincent

Return to “Beginner Questions”