Dictionaries [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Dictionaries [Solved]

Post by AZgl1800 »

I realize that the USA style of speech does not come close to how the rest of the world thinks, but the "American English" dictionary that is supplied for Linux Mint is not, IMO, even close to being "Americanized"...

the word FLAVOR is not spelled FLAVOUR and I am constantly having to add words to the dictionary.

2nd gripe, the words that I install are NOT ever offered up as a solution for misspellings... that again, irks me.

is there a dictionary available for us ole sods from the states that were raised on a farm, and never took a foreign language in school? Us americanos are the pits for being able to communicate in the real world.... I really wish that when I went to school that Languages was a requirement and a minimum of two being the requirement.

I am using Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Dictionaries

Post by Pjotr »

Can you post a screenshot of the application window of the application Languages? You can use http://postimages.org for that.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

This is what is installed now, and the Brits and me, don't talk the same way... :lol:

I should have mentioned this is the Dictionary addon for Firefox 58.0.2

and I have the same problem with LibreOffice, it is using a British English dictionary.

I am just an ole USA country boy, and I would like to have a dictionary that understands American slang if possible.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

In Firefox, go to Edit/Preferences/General/ Languages & Appearance/Language, and click choose. Select US English from the list offered.
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

You can set the language in LibreOffice. Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages.
Your text editor probably has the same. For Pluma (Mate) - Tools > Set Language.
For the OS, type Languages into the Menu search box. Open up Language Settings.

Return to “Beginner Questions”