On-Line banking

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

On-Line banking

Post by bally1001 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:53 am

Hi,
I have now, over the past few months gradually completed my move from Windows to Mint for all laptop activity......There is however one major uncertainty.....That is, I have always depended on Kaspersky Safe Money for on-line banking protection......And of course, Kaspersky is only compatible with Windows..... I know Linux is mainly safe from interference in normal activity but with banking I am reluctant to change over........So, my question is, is there a package available that can match the safety of Kaspersky Safe Money?.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: On-Line banking

Post by catweazel » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:57 am

bally1001 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:53 am
is there a package available that can match the safety of Kaspersky Safe Money?.
From reading the sales blurbs it looks like it just sets up a VPN and nothing more.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:31 am

NO - - there is no real alternative to Kaspersky Safe Money.

but, you should still be just fine, when using Firefox on your LinuxMint system.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:59 am

I've used Mint for my online banking for the past seven years and have never had an issue. In my opinion linux is the safest way to go. :wink:
Mint 19.2 MATE

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 am

tdockery97 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:59 am
I've used Mint for my online banking for the past seven years and have never had an issue. In my opinion linux is the safest way to go. :wink:
+1

12 years for me. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:23 am

When I was in the process of switching to Linux (from Windows, like you), I was also uncertain about that. Despite being told it was more secure (I wasn't intimately familiar with Linux as I am now), I was still paraniod. Eventually, I gave in to logic. Think of it this way, what do we know:
  • Linux is much, much more secure than Windows.
  • Linux doesn't have more holes than a sieve.
  • Linux is used on large servers woldwide, for a lot more than just home banking.
  • Linux was built from the ground up to be secure.
  • Linux doesn't hide itself from its users, but Windows does.
There are surely other points, but my head is banging. :( Anyway, as long as you're sensible online, your computer's updated, your firewall is on (check ufw and service with: sudo ufw status; systemctl status ufw), and other security aspects of your installation are OK, you're certainly, absolutely going to be better than you ever were on Windows, regarding security.

I also used Kaspersky, by the way, for years.

I suggest running ubuntu-syschk which can check some important security things: https://github.com/terminalforlife/ubuntu-syschk Install with insit to easily install, update, uninstall, yadda yadda. Here's the insit page, with instructions and examples: https://github.com/terminalforlife/installit I keep these updated and still work on adding features; they're not abandoned projects at all. There are videos on my channel showing and explaining insit and I believe ubuntu-syschk, if you're looking for more information.

I also recommend that you look at the Arch Wiki's security section if you're serious about security.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 am

If you trust Kaspersky (or any similar software), you should at first answer for yourself: Do you fully trust this software? I do not mean your stomach feeling, but hard facts.

administrollaattori
Level 15
Level 15

Post by administrollaattori » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:57 am

Cosmo. wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 am
If you trust Kaspersky (or any similar software), you should at first answer for yourself: Do you fully trust this software? I do not mean your stomach feeling, but hard facts.
:lol:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabilit ... y-Lab.html

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi bally1001,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are many really good posts already in this forum on using Linux regarding online banking which in my humble opinion (IMHO) and others is much safer than other operating systems.

But, that does not mean you should ignore common sense practices regardless whether you use Linux Mint, MS Windows, or Mac, (use very good passwords of 17-20+ characters and a Password Manager (KeePassXC, etc...) do not store banking or other secure website passwords in your browsers!, and use private windows or private tabs) and install some security and privacy browser add-ons (Disconnect, Privacy Badger or Privacy Protector Plus, etc..), and some other software like the Firejail (sandboxing), using a reliable VPN provider like the excellent "Private Internet Access (PIA)" or "ProtonVPN", "vpn.ac", etc... would also help a lot. I also recommend changing your Local ISP's default DNS servers to safe, secure, and anonymous ones from a DNS provider like "Cloudflare", "dns.watch", "openDNS", "opennic project", "freenom world", etc...

Depending upon your bank(s), you may also need to install a "user agent switcher" browser add-on because some online banking website's account setup and or login processes are antiquated and do not recognize Linux and or some Linux browsers and a user agent switcher will allow accessing those websites, just click the user agent add-on icon or by right-clicking and selecting to tell websites that you are using MS Windows and Edge browser even though you are using Linux Mint and a Linux browser.

"Kaspersky" is a very well known and reliable anti-virus and anti-malware software developer, but you do not need to install anti-virus anti-malware software in your Linux Mint system; in fact, it is discouraged - not recommended.

I do have the excellent bootable and free "Kaspersky" rescue DVD disc which has anti-virus and anti-malware scanners that do work for scanning Linux, MS Windows, and Mac file systems. If I feel the need to check my system because of some new security threat or some weird Internet message claiming my system has a problem, then I will boot to this DVD and run its scanners over-night.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed May 01, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Re: On-Line banking (Solved)

Post by bally1001 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:49 am

Hi,
Many thanks gents (and possibly ladies) for your replies.....I feel much more confident with on-line banking activity, (not that I use it that much)......Finally I can now use my Mint Laptop 100% of my time online.....No more time wasting Windows updates that serve only to screw things up.

Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:07 pm

bally1001 ...
I run linux exclusively from LOCKED LiveMedia flash drives - either SD cards or Kanguru USB drives. There is normally no writeable drive in my system unless I temporarily add one to save screen dumps or other information, or do backups. Since these are ROM images, there is NO place to store any form of malware, and I get the same identical virgin OS every time I boot. Also, no passwords are ever retained in my system. Immediately before I do any secure web sessions, I always physically disconnect from the network and reboot, which just takes a few seconds. I open the browser with the net disconnected, and manually type in the HTTPS URL before connecting to the net. Lastly, I NEVER do banking over WiFi - only on my wired network.

After I load a new distro and before I lock my flash drives, I create a second EXT partition and that's where I put a 'startup' script to TURN ON THE FIREWALL (!) and take care of a few other details. I also include a local repository folder for whatever version specific apps I need, and a corresponding script to load them when needed.

It works fine for me - I did a demo for the V.P. of IT at my local bank - he told me that he has NEVER seen anyone so paranoid about security!

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle, PA USA
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 4 GB - Mint 10 Gnome, Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives>

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: On-Line banking (Solved)

Post by Moem » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:39 pm

bally1001 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:49 am
Many thanks gents (and possibly ladies) for your replies.
Let me relieve you of this uncertainty: ladies (or women) are not only a possibility on this forum, we're a reality. :wink:

To answer your question: much like the others have said, Mint is plenty safe enough to be used for online banking and I, too, use it for that purpose without batting an eye. No special software needed, in my opinion, just an up-to-date browser that's properly hardened and all the common sense I can muster. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:47 pm

The disadvantage of a live session from a frozen medium like a Mint DVD, is of course that the live session itself misses vital security updates. Which makes it insecure (full of security holes) during the live session.

It's much more secure to install Mint to your hard disk and simply keep it updated.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:46 am

To add: Here is a misunderstanding:
Webtest wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:07 pm
There is normally no writeable drive in my system unless I temporarily add one to save screen dumps or other information, or do backups. Since these are ROM images, there is NO place to store any form of malware,
Even in a live system there is a writable drive: The drive (placed in memory), which the live system uses. Of course all gets nullified as soon as you reboot, but as long as your live session endures, malware can write to this drive for its purpose. At second: malware does not necessarily need to write anything on a drive to get effective, it can possibly simply inject its code in memory. If now your system is vulnerable - a live system is vulnerable, because no security fixes do exist - you are in the trap.

The live system has the advantage (beside others), that no store user data can be read by malware, because there is obviously nothing to read. But if the malware can use a security hole to read during your session from memory (e. g. your entered password or the bank data you are reading), than the advantage of the live system morphs into the opposite.

If you are really paranoid, than install VirtualBox, install inside a virtual machine with Mint (or whatever distro you want), keep it strictly up to date before you start a banking session and use this virtual machine for nothing else. I don't say, that I recommend it, it is only a suggestion for the paranoid ones.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:10 am

Cosmo. wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 am
Although I agree with this statement 99%, personally, I still can't help but have a gut feeling about Russian software that would make me leery in terms of loading it on my rig . . . . just saying.

As far as on-line banking/shopping etc. it is not the OS IMHO to be overly concerned about especially if you are on linux. Rather the concern should be from your router out to the cloud. The question is; what are you doing to protect yourself in that space?

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:15 am

tdockery97 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:59 am
Same here for about 10 years :wink:
ImageImage

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:41 am

majpooper wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:10 am
I still can't help but have a gut feeling about Russian software that would make me leery in terms of loading it on my rig
I didn't mention Kaspersky, because it is Russian; I did so, because it had been expressively mentioned in the starting post. If the OP would have named anything else I would have answered regarding anything else.

If a Russian AV (with FSB in the background) or an American (with NSA) or anything from any other country is worse or better, is not my concern. All of them are (for Linux) worse than none.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:41 am
majpooper wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:10 am
I still can't help but have a gut feeling about Russian software that would make me leery in terms of loading it on my rig
I didn't mention Kaspersky, because it is Russian; I did so, because it had been expressively mentioned in the starting post. If the OP would have named anything else I would have answered regarding anything else.

If a Russian AV (with FSB in the background) or an American (with NSA) or anything from any other country is worse or better, is not my concern. All of them are (for Linux) worse than none.
I absolutely understand and cannot fault your rational and actually agree for the most part. We are all products of our personal experiences and from that form biases that are sometimes quite different. So for me Kaspersky puts up a big RED (pun intended) flag. Would I be sceptical and believe that there is a very good probability that the FSB is in cahoots with Kaspersky . . . . you betcha. Would I believe the same thing about the NSA in regards to say Norton of Mcafee . . . . not very likely IMHO, but definitely possible. Do I understand someone living in Europe may feel equally skeptical about both the FSB and the NSA . . . . sure, of course. There are even those in the USA who would agree with that train of thought even more so than mine. So I am not criticizing or really even disagreeing with your particular take on Kaspersky perse - I even understand it - just expressing my particular "gut feel."

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Late to the show, but I too used Windows and a good virus program along with Quicken right up until the day that Quicken decided that I should pay them an exorbitant fee annually for the grace of using their product.

I abandoned Quicken so fast, they never knew what hit them.

I went to Linux and PureVPN and never looked back.
Firefox is quite happy to proclaim to the bank that I am using Windows 10 with User-Agent Switcher
Addon.... they don't know that I am using Linux.

I would forget all about "the issue", and just keep on trucking.
I have never once received a report from the bank that someone was poking around into my bank account, except when I used a new PC to login.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:03 pm

When I moved from Windows to Linux it took me a short while to feel "safe" doing this kind of thing. But you are truly more safe with Linux and no AVs, than with Windows with AVs. That uneasy feeling will quickly go away.

Return to “Newbie Questions”