On-Line banking

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Re: On-Line banking

Post by Executioner »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:56 pm Late to the show, but I too used Windows and a good virus program along with Quicken right up until the day that Quicken decided that I should pay them an exorbitant fee annually for the grace of using their product.
A little off-topic, but I'm still using windows and Quicken that my wife and I use for our checkbook. Is there a comparable software like Quicken for Linux to manage checkbooks?

I have Mint 18.3 on a spare laptop. I have not done banking on it, so I'm happy to see this topic came up. I have FireFox and Chromium on FireJail. I also have HTTPS Everywhere, Ublocker Orign, Privacy Badger, and Adguard Ad Blocker add-on.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Executioner wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 am A little off-topic, but I'm still using windows and Quicken that my wife and I use for our checkbook. Is there a comparable software like Quicken for Linux to manage checkbooks?
Yes, asking questions in other people's support topics is off-topic, so please don't do that. I would suggest that you look into GnuCash, and if you want to talk about it, start a new thread.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Best to avoid online banking ...
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37891742 (7 Nov 2016 - Tesco Bank's chief executive has blamed "a systematic, sophisticated attack" for the money taken from 20,000 of its customer accounts.)
https://thehackernews.com/2013/05/the-b ... story.html (10 May 2013 - A gang of cyber-criminals operating in 26 countries stole $45 million by hacking their way into a database of prepaid debit cards.)

Isolated cases of online banking accounts being hacked and looted may not be refunded by the banks, eg ... http://says.com/my/news/man-online-bank ... unt-hacked

If such hacking of online bank accounts becomes endemic, the banks and governments will not be able to make refunds, similar to 2008's credit default swaps collapse from toxic mortgages.

You should not do online banking or do any shopping(offline or online) with your Debit card. eg the daily transaction limits should be set to $0 or $1, except for ATM cash withdrawals.
....... Except when visiting foreign countries, shopping online and offline with your credit cards is OK because refunds are guaranteed by the banks, in case of fraud.
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:46 am Best to avoid online banking ...
lol
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Any constructive suggestions? With many banks, there is no other option.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Even better: Avoid living in today's world. :roll: Problem is, that the time machine to go some hundred (thousand?) years back has not been invented. The other "solution" is the grave. No money, no banking, no privacy concerns, no malware..... Problem in this case: It is not revertible. :shock: For 99 % of the users both are not an acceptable option.
samogy

Post by samogy »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:47 pm The disadvantage of a live session from a frozen medium like a Mint DVD, is of course that the live session itself misses vital security updates. Which makes it insecure (full of security holes) during the live session.

It's much more secure to install Mint to your hard disk and simply keep it updated.
I boot a live session then run Update Manager. I've assumed this brings the software up-to-date. Is this wrong?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

samogy wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:07 am I boot a live session then run Update Manager. I've assumed this brings the software up-to-date. Is this wrong?
It's correct, but up-to-date software is not enough.
That method doesn't give you a newer (patched) kernel, so you're still running an insecure system. And you can't replace a kernel on a live session because it involves rebooting in order to load it.

Rayland-BH

Post by Rayland-BH »

I have an old laptop that runs an encrypted Linux Mint, which I use exclusively for banking. I update it every time I power it on, do whatever banking I need to, and then shut it down. I go to no other sites on this laptop ever, and if I need to look something up while I am banking, I use my primary computer instead. With two step verification, if any attempt to login to my bank occurs from any other computer or device, I get a text message. I feel much more secure with my banking than I did before I started using Linux.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

catweazel wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:47 am
lol
The Dark Web: How much is your bank account worth?

Researchers explore just how much our bank accounts, identities, and more are worth to customers in the web's underbelly. ...

While card numbers are big business, access to accounts is also hot property.
According to the researchers, accounts with a balance of roughly $3,000 from Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo are being hawked for $300, while bank login information for accounts belonging to the same banks with balances of up to $15,000 is being sold for between $200 and $1,000.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-dark-w ... unt-worth/ (20 Mar 2018)
Last edited by michael louwe on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:33 am
catweazel wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:47 am
lol
The Dark Web: How much is your bank account worth?

Researchers explore just how much our bank accounts, identities, and more are worth to customers in the web's underbelly.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-dark-w ... unt-worth/ (20 Mar 2018)
Pardon me for a moment while I put on a tinfoil hat.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Executioner wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:56 pm Late to the show, but I too used Windows and a good virus program along with Quicken right up until the day that Quicken decided that I should pay them an exorbitant fee annually for the grace of using their product.
A little off-topic, but I'm still using windows and Quicken that my wife and I use for our checkbook. Is there a comparable software like Quicken for Linux to manage checkbooks?

I have Mint 18.3 on a spare laptop. I have not done banking on it, so I'm happy to see this topic came up. I have FireFox and Chromium on FireJail. I also have HTTPS Everywhere, Ublocker Orign, Privacy Badger, and Adguard Ad Blocker add-on.
I'm late to the show again, I tried some of the checkbook programs and most of them are Double Entry for accountants, and not worth a plugged nickel for a home user.

I have simply resorted to download a .csv file and uploading it into a spreadsheet.
does everything I need....

Control-F and what I want is in my hands, or I sort on Name Field and can export stuff into a budget form for taxes, etc....

I have Ublock Origin, Privacy Badger, and PureVPN running all the time, with Firefox Addon UserAgent switcher reporting to the bank that I am using Windows 10.... tee hee....

that way, all of the screens they have "appear normal" to me all the time.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

There WAS, from the German c't Magazin für Computertechnik Bankix but unfortunately this is discontinued.

Personally, I use Linux for online banking, never Windows.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Europol announced today that Spanish police has arrested a man suspect of being the mastermind behind the Carbanak hacking group, known for some of the biggest bank cyber-heists in recent years.

Europol said the Carbanak gang —also known as Cobalt— had carried out over 100 hacks across 40 different countries, stealing over €1 billion ($1.24 billion), with a hack average of €10 million ($12.4 million) per heist. .......

Second, the Carbanak group would transfer money from legitimate accounts to the ones they or their money mules owned, who would then empty accounts at ATMs, or use the accounts to buy expensive products and launder the money.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... -in-spain/ (Leader of Carbanak (Cobalt) Hacker Group Who Stole Over €1BIL Arrested in Spain - 26 Mar 2018)
http://www.zdnet.com/article/europol-tr ... campaigns/
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Like others, I've used Ubuntu / Mint for over a decade with no problems banking on Firefox browser. There is one caveat to my confidence, and that's not about preventing issues but about compliance with the bank's own requirements for reimbursement. My (Canadian) bank prominently posts this on the login page: "We will fully reimburse you in the unlikely event that you suffer direct financial losses due to unauthorized activity (1) in your accounts through Digital Banking Services (2) provided you have met your security responsibilities." At various times the bank has recommended and provided links to protective Windows software like "Entrust", though not currently. - - - That stuff doesn't work on Linux.

The main pathways to identity theft and bank frauds are through email phishing and browser vulnerabilities, not the operating system. My suggestion is not to read untethered general speculation but to investigate your actual bank's commitments to safeguard deposits / investment against theft or fraud, and it's policies on reimbursement, then find out what your exact obligations are to qualify for those safeguards.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Never had any problems with Mint and On-Line Banking either. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

bob466 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:59 pm Never had any problems with Mint and On-Line Banking either. :D
To be fair, just because you've not observed any problems, doesn't mean there haven't been any. This mindset is very common in the Windows world, in which most are using all sorts of virus scanners, with I wager many people thinking they're invincible because perhaps they haven't seen a virus, or their scanner has told them it found a virus and deleted or quarantined it.

I've not had any problems with online banking on Linux (albeit not via Mint) but, much like in your case and others', it doesn't mean I've not been compromised; it just means I've not discovered anything which would make me consider I had been compromised. (although I do bolt things down quite a bit :roll:) It's basically a case of, "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there."
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

this On-Line Banking is the Norm,, these days.
& you hear, all the Time, of some Dude that got hacked, & the they were running Windows.
some, the enlightened Folks will use a Linux System, to do their Banking.

some Folks will also use their SmartPhone, as well, and this, at least, is more secure than the Windows System is.
:roll:

but, either way, Your Bank shouldn't quibble that you are *not* using the Windows System.
- you can Encrypt your system too, but that's not really necessary, though it may ease your worries somewhat.
Executioner wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 am A little off-topic, but I'm still using windows and Quicken that my wife and I use for our checkbook. Is there a comparable software like Quicken for Linux to manage checkbooks?
Try using Grisbi - - which is a Personal Finance Program - - install it with Package Manager AKA synaptic.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Boca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Boca »

Executioner wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 am
I was also a Quicken fan.. I now use KmyMoney and find it to be equal to Quicken... but free!

Tony
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

You guys have money :shock:

Return to “Beginner Questions”