On-Line banking

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Re: On-Line banking

Post by lsemmens » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:15 am

The problem with purchasing details on the *web is that often you see No return for your money. Say, I spend $500 on an account supposedly worth $5,000 and I find that I get nothing in return, who am I going to report it to?

One of the articles also stated that the compromised accounts were from phishing emails. like "Click here to verify your....." Some people fall for it. I've been online banking for decades (nearly 3 of 'em) and most of them were with WIndoze. Some simple rules for windoze - Ensure the system is up to date and a good anti virus and anti malware program are up and working. NEVER store your banking details (including bookmarks) and password on, or even near your computer (that includes always typing your bank address inot the browser every time). NEVER visit those 'norty' sites where you might come away with something nastier than you went in with. NEVER use the same password for your banking as anything else. NEVER open those unsolicited e-mails purporting to be from your bank asking you to "click here". If the e-mail is legit I can easily find out just by logging on to my banking site and checking their onine messanging system. Clear your cache and cookies after every session. I think that about covers it. Admittedly I hardly have more than a few dollars in my accounts at any one time, (except on pay day of course) but I've not ever been "hacked".

You stand more chance of getting robbed at *point if you hang around the seedier parts of town just as you stand a greater chance of being hacked if you don't follow basic security procedures. Just 'cause you use linux does not preclude you from making silly mistakes.
Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 3Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:53 pm

AZgl1500
Level 7
Level 7

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:52 pm

sigh..............

I read these stories about not doing any transactions online, and I have always used a password manager, and do EVERYTHING ONLINE and have done so since the sun first circled the internet.

I have never once, had a problem doing so.

my only problems have been having a credit card copied by a cash register operator who then went straight out and bought something for $5,000 and the bank denied it as being "atypical" for my habits.

they then called me on the phone and we talked, and I thanked them, and went on.

I2k4
Level 4
Level 4

Post by I2k4 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:52 pm
sigh..............

I read these stories about not doing any transactions online, and I have always used a password manager, and do EVERYTHING ONLINE and have done so since the sun first circled the internet.

I have never once, had a problem doing so.

my only problems have been having a credit card copied by a cash register operator who then went straight out and bought something for $5,000 and the bank denied it as being "atypical" for my habits.

they then called me on the phone and we talked, and I thanked them, and went on.
Same here. I don't know how many worriers think they are avoiding the internet by going to a bank branch (some still using Win XP) or using ATMs. I started with ATMs when they first appeared in Canada, and my US engineer brother warned against them - refused to have anything to do with electronic financial networks until 2006, when burglars broke into his house while he was on a honeymoon, and stole the safe with all his stock and bond certificates. Never found - took months to clean that up.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Ubuntu / Mint user since 10.04 LTS. M17.3 Cinnamon (Dell 1520). Dual booting M17.3 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M18.3 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop). Testing M19.x 64bit on live USB.

KMHGeorge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KMHGeorge » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:24 pm

:D Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I do need to go on-line to take care of my banking needs. Even in Windows, I never had a security issue thank goodness.

KMHGeorge

Return to “Newbie Questions”