Linux Mint Install Won't Recognize Hard Drive?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux Mint Install Won't Recognize Hard Drive?

Post by Moem » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:10 am

michael louwe wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:40 pm
I seldom quote someone's post unless necessary and short = do not want to waste bandwidth and web-storage by quoting a wall of texts or embedded codes in my replies.
I appreciate your logic here, and it's useful to make sure someone can get the notification when a post is quoted, but I'd still prefer to see a sentence, or even a few words, from the previous post. The dots look a little jarring and can even come across as having some emotional meaning that you never intended. There is a whole world in between 'nothing' and 'a wall of text'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Post by michael louwe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:17 am

@ catweazel, .......
catweazel wrote: Not necessarily. http://www.aventissystems.com offers "500GB 6Gb/s Hybrid SSD SATA 2.5" HDD [Add $109]" with the Dell Precision 5520.
The OP's Dell Precision 5520 has the Intel i7-7820HQ processor. aventis does not offer the option for hybrid SSD/HDDs for their Dell Precision 5520 with Intel i7-7820HQ, as per ... http://www.aventissystems.com/Dell-Prec ... 108436.htm
....... So you are still likely incorrect. ... :D

borg101
Level 3
Level 3

Post by borg101 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:29 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:59 pm
theofficialbyrum wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:09 am

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Precision 5520
           Mobo: Dell model: 0R6JFH v: A00
You won't be able to dual boot that machine without wrecking Windwoes 10. You have a hybrid SSD/HDD. To get that working, the manufacturer sets the SSD and HDD into RAID mode. In order to install linux, you're going to have to break the RAID setup, which will break Windwoes 10.
I agree with catweazel. You're basically SOL without wiping out your Windows partition. Your best bet is to either get a different drive, or wipe Windows and go Linux Mint exclusively. If the latter is possible, that's my recommendation. I did it over a year ago with minimal "difficulty". I put difficulty in quotes because every distro I used I broke by not paying attention enough. The Gnome Desktop Environment basically eliminated that issue since they have extensions for basically every tweak you can imagine, which works better than finding outdated and/or distro specific guides that break your system.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 18.3 (Gnome)

catweazel
Level 15
Level 15

Post by catweazel » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:50 am

michael louwe wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:17 am
....... So you are still likely incorrect. ... :D
No biggie. People have said worse :mrgreen:
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

Return to “Newbie Questions”