Understanding the directory structure of linux? (Solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AST_GMS
Level 1
Level 1

Understanding the directory structure of linux? (Solved)

Post by AST_GMS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:50 am

I apologize in advance if there is a thread about my question -but- I can't find it and my time is limited today.

What I'd like to know is; Where is there a guide to understanding the directory structure of LM?
I have repeatedly tried to find where all the program executables are in the file manager, and I can't find them.

Since I do have a wordpress site, the other day I downloaded WP -but- I'm having difficulties installing it and finding where it will install too. Can someone please guide me as to where all the programs are installed, thank you. Sorry about the grammar!
Last edited by AST_GMS on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
AST_GMS - "Expressing Ingenuity"

silfox2000
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Understanding the directory structure of linux?

Post by silfox2000 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:22 am

You need first to know how to install software under Ubuntu based linux distribution: https://www.howtogeek.com/191245/beginn ... -on-linux/
And after that to dig deeper and to learn the linux file system: https://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/ht ... 03_01.html

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:23 am

This may help a bit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesyste ... y_Standard

I don't know how Linux Mint either complies with or differs from this "standard".
it would be nice to know, but just for curiosity.

I can't help with Wordpress, but I expect that Wordpress would/should be able to explain how They work within the Linux environment.

best of luck
Peter
Mate desktop https://mate-desktop.org/
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/

timbow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timbow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:42 am

If you want to install wordpress locally on your desktop you need to set up the right environment, effectively a web server which is not actually open to the web, known as a LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP). There are several ways to do this
  • Install apache etc directly onto your linux mint and be prepared to use the terminal a lot
  • Use a program like xampp or ampps to create a Lamp stack and a degree of point and click control
  • set up a complete virtual machine within your system with the help of something like vagrant
Whichever way you go be prepared to spend a while tearing your hair out in frustration, and be warned that the internet is heaving with helpful people who will tell you it's easy 'just follow my instructions and you can't go wrong'. You can go very wrong.

AST_GMS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AST_GMS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:03 am

Excellent, thanks everyone for the information. I think it'll help.

With that said, I'm like "OMG", it's gonna take me a life time to understand this system (FHS), lol.

I have alway's tried to be a fast learner -but- this is torch-er, lol.
Thanks.
50+ yrs. of age doesn't help either, lol.

AST_GMS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AST_GMS » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:36 pm

timbow wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:42 am
If you want to install wordpress locally on your desktop you need to set up the right environment, effectively a web server which is not actually open to the web, known as a LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP). There are several ways to do this
  • Install apache etc directly onto your linux mint and be prepared to use the terminal a lot
  • Use a program like xampp or ampps to create a Lamp stack and a degree of point and click control
  • set up a complete virtual machine within your system with the help of something like vagrant
Whichever way you go be prepared to spend a while tearing your hair out in frustration, and be warned that the internet is heaving with helpful people who will tell you it's easy 'just follow my instructions and you can't go wrong'. You can go very wrong.
I was able to avoid all of this just by downloading WP for Linux.deb at the WP website. Downloaded, saved to download folder, clicked it (Linux.deb) and it installed. again, thank you. And the WP Linux desktop app works! It was that easy. Over at the Linux Mint group on Fb is where the help came from. - :)

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 pm

AST_GMS wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:36 pm

I was able to avoid all of this just by downloading WP for Linux.deb at the WP website. Downloaded, saved to download folder, clicked it (Linux.deb) and it installed. again, thank you. And the WP Linux desktop app works! It was that easy. Over at the Linux Mint group on Fb is where the help came from. - :)
I am glad it worked out for you. Congrats!

Your method is actually the conventional method. Vendors usually package their products for easy install depending on your platform. For us in the Debian world it would be a .deb file to download and execute.

Out of curiosity, could you elaborate a bit on what your original method was? What kind of file did you download and where did you get it?

(PS: please edit the subject line of this thread to include SOLVED)
Peter
Mate desktop https://mate-desktop.org/
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/

silfox2000
Level 2
Level 2

Post by silfox2000 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:07 am

AST_GMS wrote:
Well... if you ever find free 10 minutes you can still read the article about installing software on Ubuntu based distribution. It is short, simple, and has pictures...

AST_GMS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AST_GMS » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:19 am

sdibaja wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 pm
AST_GMS wrote:

I am glad it worked out for you. Congrats!

Your method is actually the conventional method. Vendors usually package their products for easy install depending on your platform. For us in the Debian world it would be a .deb file to download and execute.

Out of curiosity, could you elaborate a bit on what your original method was? What kind of file did you download and where did you get it?

(PS: please edit the subject line of this thread to include SOLVED)
I got the WP Linux.deb from here - https://apps.wordpress.com/desktop/

Return to “Newbie Questions”