Useradd in Cassandra

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Useradd in Cassandra

Post by scorp123 »

Steve wrote:I'm sorry to be vague here
Well ... for starters: What were you trying to do?? What did you want to achieve? And what precisely did you do, e.g. what did you click on, what commands did you type, and what error messages did you get back? :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

first do not use "sudo su" unless you really know what you are doing. ie Don't. :)

In general do not use a terminal window, you should be able to do everything using a GUI. GUI's use sudo if the task they are doing needs admin access and will ask you for a password.

When you installed you would have created an initial user which i expect is your account. this accounts' username was added to the sudoer list making it an administration capable user. ie you can create users, install software etc.

To add another account/user goto mintmenu-->administration-->users and groups.
or goto mintmenu-->config center--> administration --> users and groups.
Enter your password when asked for one.
Now if you see the user name you created in the terminal (the not working one) highlight it and delete it.
In the GUI click on the add user button, fill out required fields and click OK.
exit the GUI
Logout and login as the new user.

I hope this helps.
Remember the GUI is your friend.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Useradd in Cassandra

Post by scorp123 »

Steve wrote: sudo su
... That command switches into a root shell which is dangerous!! Especially if you don't really know what the commands do you type in there!!. It does not create anything in the best case and in the worst case it creates one hell of a mess (especially when you enter commands you don't yet understand ...). Either I am misunderstanding you here or you did not write precisely enough what you did. Sorry to say so.
Steve wrote: I was trying to create an account for myself
You should already have one, e.g. when you installed? Weren't you asked to provide a username?
Steve wrote: and my daughter.
You can do that via the "Preferences" menu if I am not wrong? (in GNOME)
Steve wrote: File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions.
OK, can you please open a terminal and give me the verbatim output of the following command (please copy & paste: highlight the stuff with the left mouse button, then go over to the terminal window, and hit the middle mouse button or mouse wheel):

Code: Select all

cat /etc/passwd
... This will show me what user accounts are present on the system or not (most are standard accounts present on everyone's system which are used by some background tasks; you don't need to be worried about them). Don't be misguided by the name ... no password will be shown here. The passwords are stored in a heavily encrypted form in another file only root has access to ( /etc/shadow ... if you want to take a look).

Sometimes people are told on forums never ever to reveal their passwords to anyone ... that's absolutely true. But then again, that's not what I asked you here, OK? :wink:

As for permissions: Normally the command for fixing a files permission is chmod (short for "change mode"). I am not really sure what you did on your system and what user account you used to get that error message, but if you want to follow the error message's suggestion, then the command sequence to fix the error would be, e.g.

sudo su -
cd /home/of/affected/user
chown affecteduser .dmrc
chmod 644 .dmrc
exit
Steve wrote: i still get the same result at this point.
I am still not really sure about the "adding an account for my daughter part" ... Can you elaborate more what precisely you did there? Because "sudo su" really just changes into a root shell ... It would be more interesting to know what you did after that step :wink:

Last edited by scorp123 on Thu May 17, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Boo wrote:first do not use "sudo su" unless you really know what you are doing. ie Don't. :)
I absolutely second that :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

sudo = short for "SuperUser do" ... e.g. do something as the God-like superuser "root". Example:

sudo poweroff
... will poweroff a system.

su = short for "Switch User" ... e.g. change into someone else's user account inside a shell session. Example:

su - jake
... will ask for password of user "jake" and upon successful login all following commands will execute as "jake" and with jake's priviledges. Not telling the system which user precisely you want to switch into will assume that you mean to switch into root's account:

su -
Both commands combined:

sudo su -
... mean translated into English: "SuperUser do: switch user into root's account!"

If you don't know what you do, you should perhaps not use that command unless someone with more knowledge tells you to do it (e.g. in case you have to fix an unexpected problem ...).

Nontheless I hope this small explanation helps you to understand those "cryptic" commands better :wink:

BTW, there are manual pages to every command.

man sudo
man su
So if you're not sure about what a shell command does, it won't harm to check the manual pages :wink: (use cursor keys, Page Up and Page Down to navigate; press Q to exit from a manual page).
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

read the sticky posts in the wireless section first.

and use the search function if you hit troubles.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Husse

Post by Husse »

You are welcome (goes for all "Minties" in this post, but I haven't asked them :))
Remember it's only the first user that can use sudo. A very good way to stop nasty things happen in your kids account
(or your wifes/husbands :))

Return to “Beginner Questions”