Stuttering in Rocket League after moving to Linux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Level 1
Level 1

Stuttering in Rocket League after moving to Linux

Post by Skyl3r » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:06 am

So, I decided to remove Windows off every computer in my house and move to Linux. I didn't want to use Ubuntu and I heard a lot of great things about Mint, so I've installed 64 bit Mint 18 and here I am. The problem I'm experiencing is as follows:

I had an Alienware M17x r4 with a GTX 660m, i7-3610qm and 24GB of RAM. Under Windows 10, I was able to play Rocket League at a relatively solid FPS, probably high 50's or 60's, but I didn't monitor. There was never noticeable stutter. Once I installed Mint, the game was stuttering to the point where it is almost unplayable. I set steam to monitor FPS and my FPS is remaining high 50's and 60's. The stutter doesn't seem to be framerate drop, it's more like it's randomly skipping frames.

Since then, I've upgraded to a GTX 680m, and the problem still exists, but the game is now playable. When monitoring the FPS, I can turn all the graphics as high as they go and the game still runs at 70+ FPS. So the stutter problem seems to be independent of framerate.

I'm using Nvidia drivers 384, which are listed as recommended on Mint's driver manager.
I've monitored temperature, which remains under 80c even when overclocked.

Is this something I might be able to fix or am I out of luck?

Return to “Newbie Questions”