[SOLVED] Dodgy Xorg Error

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Penguin Guy

[SOLVED] Dodgy Xorg Error

Post by Penguin Guy »

I tried to open the ATI control center but nothing happened - so I go to the terminal and open it and it says 'amdcccle is already running'; so I do 'killall amdcccle', puzzled and then start it again with 'amdcccle'. It turns our that it wasn't opening because of a syntax error in xorg.conf - I have uncommented the line and now things work great. The reason I am posting here is to find out exactly what I have uncommented incase it might break something. xorg.conf below - thanks

Code: Select all

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
	DefaultDepth	24
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"glx"
#	Disable	"dri2"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
	Driver	"fglrx"
EndSection
If it matters - I haven't previously touched the xorg.conf file and it was set up entirely by automated programs - envyng I believe.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Dodgy Xorg Error

Post by Husse »

dri2 is direct rendering 2 and I did not think it was enabled for ATI yet
As you see it should not matter if you comment out the line
Out of curiosity
search for DRI2 (or posibly dri2)
in xorg.log
If you find that it is enabled post back with the model of your card
Penguin Guy

Re: Dodgy Xorg Error

Post by Penguin Guy »

Not enabled.

Code: Select all

~ $ cd /var/log/
/var/log $ cat Xorg.0.log | grep dri2
/var/log $ cat Xorg.0.log | grep DRI2
/var/log $ 
GPU: ATi Radeon 3850

Thanks for your reply - I'm glad to know that everything is fine.

Return to “Beginner Questions”