Reinstating AutoLogin

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Reinstating AutoLogin

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:25 pm

as my computers are never shared with anyone period, I have been thinking of going back to AutoLogin on my Linux Mint 18.3 laptop.... it is my "comfort pc" and resides by my recliner to use while watching TV, reading books, etc...

I would enjoy having it just power up to the desktop and be ready to go, instead of it stopping at the Login and then me having to wait another 2 minutes after the password is entered.

I did some soul searching on the forum here, and read a lot of negative opinions on the subject.
So, security advice to be ignored, the only thing I want to know is:

Are there any system features that can get in trouble IF, the PC is setup for auto login?

I read where one fellow had trouble with his PC after a dog walked on the keyboard and it went into never never land and he can't get it recovered.

Host: john-TP500LA Kernel: 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Reinstating AutoLogin

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:25 pm
Are there any system features that can get in trouble IF, the PC is setup for auto login?
Yes: If you log in manually, the account keyring (for your passwords e. g. on network resources and used by some browsers) gets automatically unlocked. With auto-login you have to unlock it manually by entering the password. So at the end you have saved nothing. (There are terrible advices to store the keyring as plain text without password. This do only people, who write their PIN number on the back of their banking card. :shock: :shock: )

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:40 pm

ha ha ha,
I thought we were supposed to write our pin number on the back of our debit cards :mrgreen:

usually say "No" and enter the zipcode instead...

sbroccolo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sbroccolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:58 am

I've used auto login for years and never had a problem. My computer is next to my bed which because of disabilities, I don't venture far from. So as far as security, if they've gotten this far, I am already screwed.
I have seen that keyring issue when I tried Opera and Chromium. They didn't provide enough difference from FireFox, IMHO, to warrant the switch to them.
My dog is pretty old, so not really interested in walking on the keyboard. Sleeping next to me is pretty much what she does all day.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:40 pm

I have not used Opera for 20 years, and I detest Chromium simply because it will not respond to keyboard shortcuts...

With Firefox, I use alt-b to bring up Bookmarks, and a sequence of single keystrokes to select the website.
so, to get to here, I use ALT-B L to get to "new Linux posts"
or
ALT-B LL to get directly to Linux Newbies threads.

ALT-B N for New Posts on my Motorcycle forum
NN for the 2nd motorcycle forum
NNN for my local newspaper online

no other browser honors that method of bookmarks, therefore, IMO, they are crapola.

My dogs weigh in at 75# and 95#, and they too, love to cover up my feet if sitting in a chair.... or sprawled out across the floor and created 'road hazards' because they know we won't step on them.

This one here, he passed on at 7 years old because of a huge 12 lb tumor in his stomach... we agreed to the surgery, but he did not live thru the night. :(
Beauregard.jpg

sbroccolo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sbroccolo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:24 am

If you are not using anything that requires the keyring, then go for the auto login. I forgot to mention that some email programs do use the keyring as well, but as far as I know, Thunderbird does not. If you are just accessing your email via FireFox, then there is no problem there either.

Sorry to hear about you losing your dog at such a young age. I lost one a few years ago to breast cancer, but she was 14. Hard to lose a loyal friend at any age, but I think a bit rougher if they go young.

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:03 am

I have used auto login for years and never had an issue. I don't save or store important passwords on the computers. I recently bought a new laptop and turned the one I was using into a game server a friend and I play on. I added a new user to it related to the game it ran and removed everything that had my info along with my user name. For the life of me I could not get it to auto login, I read to open login window and verify all was set to auto login and it was but it wouldn't. I finally figured it out, it was set to my old user name which didn't exist any more on that computer and once I set it to the correct one it started doing what I wanted it too.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:12 am

I must be a trusting soul, I always set my machines to auto logon. Even still my network shares still want my keyring. That said only wife and I at home, so no real security risks there. Any kids or Grand kids bring their own technology anyway.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

rumplestiltskin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rumplestiltskin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 am

I do not know if what I did is a permanent solution.

As others have done, I entered my short username into the appropriate field, then restarted and found that auto-login did not happen. I restarted a few more times just in case anything changed; it did not.

I removed my username from the field, closed the preference window, and shut down the machine.

I powered up, logged in and, once again, entered my short username into the appropriate field. Then I closed the pref window and shut down the machine.

Now, when I powered up the machine, auto-login happened as expected.

I'm wondering if the shut down was necessary instead of just the restart. Might there be something that needed to be reset by a shut down that a restart doesn't actually do?

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. (Mint Sylvia 18.3)

Barry

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 am

rumplestiltskin wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 am
I'm wondering if the shut down was necessary instead of just the restart.
Usually rebooting is enough to make the change for autologin work. Impossible to say, why it worked for you only after shutting down. Perhaps a typo of your user name?

rumplestiltskin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rumplestiltskin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:48 pm

There were posts in another thread complaining of autologin failing and one user was suggesting the shutdown worked while just a restart failing. My intent was simply to post my experience as a confirmation that it worked. Apparently this was a bug in Sylvia (as someone reported in that thread).

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Autologin has known problems in LM 18 & 18.1. For LM 18.3 I am not aware of an autologin problem.

rumplestiltskin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rumplestiltskin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:39 pm
Autologin has known problems in LM 18 & 18.1. For LM 18.3 I am not aware of an autologin problem.
It's there but what would cause a restart to behave differently than a shutdown/startup? Probably something in a memory location that doesn't get cleared properly during the restart? Way above my pay grade. :roll: :lol:

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:15 am

As I already wrote, rebooting should be enough, the note in the settings dialog says the same. I cannot offer an explanation for the behavior of your system.

Return to “Newbie Questions”