Desktop Icon Organiser

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
After8Minty
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop Icon Organiser

Post by After8Minty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:37 am

Hi everyone ... glad to be on-board. :P

Over the years I have tried different Linux distros and have come to the conclusion that Mint is the most user friendly. I am using Cinnamon 18.3 Sylvia on an old HP Pavilion dv9000 Notebook and although the machine could do with a general boost Linux seems to be running well enough to make this my base for this amazing OS. I have already managed to get Microsoft Office 2007 running in Linux (by utilising the wonderful PlayOnLinux) and for those who may ask why am I doing this, it's because I also run a Windows and Mac machine and have become familiar with Office interface.
I am starting to find my way around and need some help with organising my desktop icons. I had hoped it would be a simple matter of copying and pasting to the panel but this doesn't appear to be a possibility. I also thought about a separate toolbar through which I could access my apps rather than cluttering up the desktop but I can't find anything that will allow me to do this. So I would very much appreciate anyone who could offer a solution to my quest for such a package.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help :?:

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Desktop Icon Organiser

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:44 am

The most easy method: Right click the respective entry in the menu and select o add to the panel.

The other way: Right click the quick launcher applet in the panel (where those icons reside) and select the command to add an entry.

After8Minty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by After8Minty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:57 am

:) Thanks for your prompt reply Cosmo. However, some of the icons on my desktop have arrived only since I started using PlayOnLinux and these don't offer an option to add to the panel. Neither do the icons appear in the menu.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:44 am

This should work:

Right click the desktop icon and select properties. From here copy the command into the clipboard.
Now you create a new panel launcher (the "other way" in my previous post" and enter the command there.

After8Minty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by After8Minty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am

:oops: Sorry to sound so dumb Cosmo but I'm not clear on what you mean 'right click the quick launcher applet'. When you get past the 80 mark your brain starts to get cluttered ... at least, mine has! Do you mean that I should right click on the panel itself for this command to appear because if you do, there is no option that allows me to do this, unless the Quick Launch applet is what I call the Menu button. As you may have gathered, I am not too familiar with Linux and the jargon that comes with it ... my brain has mostly been controlled by Microsoft Windows and MacOS jargon and that's bad enough :roll:

Is it possible for you to attach a screen-shot of what you are describing?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:42 am

Look at this screen shot. From the left of the panel you see at first the menu (this is also an applet), The second icon is the show desktop applet. Next follow 3 icons, that are quick launchers. The place, where they reside, is the so called quick launcher applet. This is the place you need. Right click any of those icons and you get a pop up menu, where you see - beside others - the command to add. This is the sol called "other way".

P.S. No need to be sorry for asking. We don't consider questions as dumb. Only not asking, if you don't know or understand something, would be dumb. Nobody has been born with Linux in the cradle (not even Linus Torvalds).

After8Minty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by After8Minty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks for your kind remarks regarding my comment about feeling dumb about all this and for taking the time to help sort this out. Unfortunately, although I managed to add an icon to the panel it didn't respond, neither did the correct icon show. I am trying to create shortcuts to Microsoft office which successfully runs from the desktop icons but will not run from the panel. My first attempt is with Excel but that's not working from the panel. I installed Office through PlayOnLinux ... could this be the problem?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Did you do as I advised here in the first line? If not, you do not have the command in the clipboard to paste it into the new launcher. Than follow the second line the same post. (Forget the icon for now. At first the launcher must work at all, otherwise the icon is of no help.)

After8Minty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by After8Minty » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:55 am

:D OK Cosmo ... I eventually managed to get the app to launch but only after rebooting the laptop. I would now like to get the other two apps onto the panel but this presents a problem. I already mentioned that the app's icon is not as it appears on the desktop and when I get the other apps onto the panel the icons appear identical. I hope this is a simple matter of changing the icons to appear as they do on the desktop! The following snapshot may help to clarify this where you see the icon on the panel to the left of one at the right hand side. This represents MS Office Word but as you can see on the desktop proper it gives its true identity.

After8Minty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by After8Minty » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 am

ooops, sorry Cosmo, I forgot to include the snapshot image so here goes:-
selectedshot2.jpeg
selectedshot2.jpeg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 91 times

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:29 am

To get the needed icons you need to install the packge gextractwinicons. This allows to extract the icons out of a EXE-file or a DLL-file (wherever they are embedded).

After8Minty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by After8Minty » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Have done that but what comes next ... how do I execute the necessary process to get to where I change the icons?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Do you say, that you have extracted the icon?
Open the properties of the launcher in the applet (right click it and select the command to edit), now in the properties click the existing icon (it acts here as a button), now you can navigate and point to the extracted icon.

After8Minty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by After8Minty » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:49 am

:?: Can't quite get this ... I have downloaded and installed the recommended package which now appears under Graphics in the menu. When I run the program to open the File on the desktop containing the icon it doesn't display in the listings from the desktop. Although the icons are on the desktop I can't get them to show up in gExtractWinIcons. I therefore assume that I need to look elsewhere. It's beginning to look like I have to accept the identical icons on the panel and simply hover the mouse over each one to identify the program I need to run. It's a pity really because I'm a dabbler at getting things right. I'll try again when my addled brain clears! :(

After8Minty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by After8Minty » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:55 am

Hey!! I don't know how but I've done it ... the icon I was looking for was in a hidden folder. Thanks Cosmo for your patience and help, it's much appreciated!! :D

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:45 am

Some Windows programs contain the icons in the EXE file, some in a DLL file. Possibly this gave the difficulty to find it. Glad, that you worked it out. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”