Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 freeze

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Tuglerugx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 freeze

Post by Tuglerugx » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently got a TravelMate / Spin B from Acer and used Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 on it. Lately I encountered a problem that everything would freeze sometimes. I was not able to use my mouse or keyboard or touchinput and basiclly could not do anything. I tried using different key-combinations to do something but only alt-sysrq-b to reboot worked( also i once shut down the system via power-switch but that just put up a black screen from were my computer took a few minutes to restart).
So I am a bit new to Linux so it would be very nice if someone could give me some advice how to solve something like that or even how to diagnose the exact problem. Also if i check Problemsolving the event is not listed as a crash. If i check my update-manager it does not show big updates so i think i am at the newest version.

heres some technical info about my system/device (if there is a specific info needed please inform me so i can add the info)
-TravelMate / Spin B (Acer)
-Linux Mint Cinnamon 18
-Intel(R) CPU N3450 1.10 Ghz
-Kernel 4.13.0-36
-Systemmemory 4GiB

Sorry for some spelling/gramma errors i am not a native speaker and also if i do anything wrong in the forum, like i said i am a bit new)
And Thank You for your help!

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 freeze

Post by Mattyboy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 pm

Post the results of this terminal command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
You're probably using a version of Mint that is to resource heavy for your computer, consider installing MATE or Xfce as new install.

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:10 am

@ Tuglerugx, .......
Tuglerugx wrote:.
Please refer to the possible fix at this link ... viewtopic.php?f=90&t=265172

Maybe, you need a newer Linux kernel, eg 4.14, by installing Ukuu.

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:38 am

[off-topic]
Tuglerugx wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm
I tried using different key-combinations to do something but only alt-sysrq-b to reboot worked( also i once shut down the system via power-switch but that just put up a black screen from were my computer took a few minutes to restart).

For a safe and clean reboot of your system you could use Alt-SysRq-r-e-i-s-u-b
Used in sequence, some of these actions can be used to cleanly end processes, flush data to disk, unmount all file systems, and restart your computer. To perform this process, press and hold the key combination and – while holding the Alt and SysRq keys down — type the following keys in order, pausing for several seconds in between each key:
r – Puts the keyboard into raw mode, taking control of it away from the X server.
e – Sends the terminate signal to all processes, asking them to end gracefully.
i – Sends the kill signal to all processes, forcing them to end immediately.
s – Flushes data from your cache to disk.
u – Remounts all file systems read-only.
b – Reboots your computer.
source
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:42 am

Marziano wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:38 am
For a safe and clean reboot of your system you could use Alt-SysRq-r-e-i-s-u-b
Or Alt-PrtSc for those without a SysRq label on their keys.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Return to “Newbie Questions”