Forum Unread Posts does not work right

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

Forum Unread Posts does not work right

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:45 pm

I have been using "Unread Posts" to presumably only show me threads that I have not read before, or have new posts added to them.

Problem:
All threads are being shown to me in "lastest post" order, and there is no indication of whether I have read a particular thread or not.

The only clue I get, is when I click on a thread, and I have read all of the posts in that thread, I am directed to the 1st post.

Why can't I just get the last 10 or 15 new posts made since I last looked at the forum?

And where is the "Mark all forums read" or at least "Mark this forum read".

Every other forum I read has those options.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Forum Unread Posts does not work right

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:17 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:45 pm
Why can't I just get the last 10 or 15 new posts made since I last looked at the forum?
The forum, actually the database behind it, is organized in threads. So also "unread posts" is organized in this way. You only get there threads listed, where at least one unread post has been added since the last visit. If you click the red icon in front of the thread you will jump to the first unread post. (At least in theory; in threads with many pictures in the posts this jump does sometimes not work correctly.)
AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:45 pm
And where is the "Mark all forums read" or at least "Mark this forum read".
Depending from the place you are it can read "mark all topics read" or "mark sub-forums read". It is above the index list on the right side, immediately to the left of the page numbers (if there are several index pages). This is also true for the unread posts index and for the main index.

AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Forum Unread Posts does not work right

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Thank you, appreciate your time.

Return to “Newbie Questions”