IRC is baffling me

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

IRC is baffling me

Post by Pat D » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:08 am

I'm new to IRC, and I've run into a major issue before I'm even started.
Every client I've tried is automatically signing into chats with the user name from my computer. I don't like this.
How do I stop it? This is a deal-breaker.
If IRC is going to tell everybody who I am, I want no part of it.
Obviously, I'm missing something. Any help out there?

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: IRC is baffling me

Post by Termy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:04 am

I recommend that you avoid IRC! It shares your Internet IP address publicly by default, with everyone in the chat room; this makes you a huge target for numerous reasons. Of course, this is by far much more of an issue in Windows, but it's still not something you want to take lightly in Linux. I don't meant to scaremonger, but this is unfortunately a fact, and the reason I avoid IRC like the plague. There are ways to mitigate it, but it seems like it's never a case of a simple toggle switch. :x

I do anticipate posts from people correctly informing me that whenever you connect to a website on the Internet, including this one, your IP address is already shared with the site's administrator and whomever else has that access (such as moderators with that privilege), but, this is not the same thing -- just because I can get hit by a car any time I cross a road, doesn't mean I should just stand in the middle of a motorway, flailing around, begging to be smashed.

I wish my post here were more positive. :(
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:16 am

I'm not sure I follow.
If I'm using a VPN, does IRC compromize this?
And with all the world talking about anonymity, how can this work without keeping your info private? I'm missing something here. I'm not always a bright spark...

But I have to say that this thing about "chat rooms" is finally of interest to this one old dude...lol

AZgl1500
Level 8
Level 8
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:08 am

??
I don't like IRC for personal reasons, but he is using a VPN as I am, and I can float my IP all over the world, right into China if I wanted to :roll:

i do this on purpose to avoid people being able to zero in on where I am via the internet....
I suppose I ought to remove my home location in my Profile Signature, but all it gives is a general area of the state... fat chance anyone can find me that way.

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 am

Oh, I didn't realise you (OP) were using a VPN -- sorry. That said, it was never mentioned in the post, so how was I to know. lol :P Supposedly, a VPN will effectively hide your true IP. Akin to a proxy server, I think.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

JeremyB
Level 19
Level 19

Post by JeremyB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:32 am

PatD, you can edit the global settings to change the name in Hexchat and you can get cloaks(VHost) that will hide your IP from most IRC users but you do need a registered nick to have a cloak/Vhost

Return to “Newbie Questions”