2nd linux non-multiboot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Gorgar
Level 1
Level 1

2nd linux non-multiboot

Post by Gorgar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Dear community!

I am writing to you from Germany and hope to get my point accross.

I am running Linux mint 17.3 KDE 64bit on a multiboot machine.

For emergency and testing, i would like to install another linux on my second internal hdd, without adding it to (and probably messing with) the bootloader/MBR of disk #01.

It would be o.k. if i could access it thru <F12> on startup only.

Do i have to unmount or hide the windows partitions before installing?
What else is there to consider?
Maybe a virtual machine would be the better idea?

Thank you for your help.

Unbenannt.jpg
I am not a robot.

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Re: 2nd linux non-multiboot

Post by rene » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:08 pm

A first useful remark might be that a Live Linux DVD/USB also makes for a fine emergency system; depending on what you are testing not necessarily a fine testing system. Virtual machines make for neither generally.

But other than that just install the second Linux system's bootloader -- grub supposedly -- in the MBR of HDD #02; on /dev/sdb rather than /dev/sda if disks are connected in a standard manner. The install itself would at least in the case of Linux Mint not change anything on HDD #01. Running sudo update-grub from either Linux system would include both Windows and the other Linux system as options; that'll be fine though: it's a just a configuration file change. Booting the second disk with F12 would allow you to boot into the second system's grub, and I have used a second system's grub as an "emergency" grub copy at times, but generally you'd just the first Linux system's grub to boot any system.

Gorgar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 2nd linux non-multiboot

Post by Gorgar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks for the quick and useful reply, rene.

Will try that!
I am not a robot.

Return to “Newbie Questions”