How to Remove Words from the LanguagePack in Mozilla

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

How to Remove Words from the LanguagePack in Mozilla

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Some of the word options are so totally irrelvent to me, that I want them removed from the LanguagePack.

I tried to use gedit to view the file, but that failed.

any hints?
LanguagePack.png
LanguagePack.png (6.88 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Mozilla Dictionary gedit.png

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to Remove Words from the LanguagePack in Mozilla

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Do you possibly mix a language pack with a wordbook?

Besides that, a xpi file is a compressed file, the text editor is not able to make sense of it.

AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:08 pm
Do you possibly mix a language pack with a wordbook?

Besides that, a xpi file is a compressed file, the text editor is not able to make sense of it.
I realized that after I wrote the post here... it came up in machine code.... then I did a search for the 'xpi' filename and found it is a zip file to hold all of the Dictionary files.

but I have not found a way to edit the dictionary file itself. I am still looking for 'dict' named files and have only found one, the personaldict.dat

in that one, I found some words that were accidentally added.... finger slips on the keyboard.... easy to remove them

The dictionary that claims it is EN-USA is so obviously NOT to me, it is a shame that they gave it that name. It is heavily filled with only UK and European spellings.... it just annoys me a lot.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:45 am

At first: Obviously you do not mean a language pack, but a wordbook, as I assumed. It helps massively for communication to name things correctly.

Second: Words, which you added to the wordbook, do not get stored into the installed wordbook, but in the file persdict.dat inside of your FF-profile. It is a simple text file.

AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Mozilla is calling the Dictionary a Wordbook?

Never heard of that ever before.

the personal.dat file ( sp ) I found straight off, and I removed errant words, single letters, etc....

What I have not found, is where the actual Spelling Dictionary is hidden for the EN-USA Dictionary that I selected.
that thing is not American styled English, it is highly tilted in the British way of thinking, and it irks me no end. I keep having to add words to it, and then the added word don't get "suggested" in a miss-spelling... and that it totally inexcusable.

Flavor is not spelled Flavour over on this side of the pond. and right now, "Flavor" is underlined as miss-spelled... and that is just plain wrong.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:27 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 pm
Mozilla is calling the Dictionary a Wordbook?
I don't know. I am German and live from what I read and what I understand. So if it goes about exact wording I can easily fall into error. But definitely this thread is not about a language pack; this is something, which lets the GUI appear in a certain language.
Out of the same reason I cannot say anything about right or wrong English spelling. If I write in English language (e. g. in this forum) I rely on the spellchecker in FF; if this is right or wrong is something, I have to leave open.

AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:36 pm

well,

I guess I will have to just bury my frustrations in the nearest doggie hole that is scattered about our yard :mrgreen:

our Great Pyreneese loves to dig, and what used to be a smooth lawn, is now a mine field of traps for the lawn tractor to fall into. :D

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Post by catweazel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:44 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:47 pm
any hints?
Rename the .xpi to .zip and try again. There should be enough clues there for you to compress the resultant files to .zip first then rename the .zip back to .xpi.

Yes, I know... I'm a genius.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

Return to “Newbie Questions”