What is the best kernel for Linux Mint Sylvia? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best kernel for Linux Mint Sylvia? [SOLVED]

Post by TheDesigner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Hello L.M.F member.

Lately i deleted all of the old kernels, and only the kernel 4.13.0-36 is active for now, i had this question in my mind, what is the best kernel for Linux Mint Sylvia? a kernel without any problems, because i have a probleme, when i want to shutdown it said kearning-gnome is not responding ...etc. is it from the kernel itself?
Last edited by TheDesigner on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: What is the best kernel for Linux Mint Sylvia?

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:01 pm

The one, which works at best with your hardware. Seriously,

If in doubt, that means, you don't see a difference, I suggest to use a LTS kernel (4.4 in this case). A HWE kernel (as 4.13) makes it necessary to replace it, when the support time ends, and of course nobody can tell beforehand, how the next HWE kernel will work for your hardware.

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:10 pm

let say i'll change the kernel from 4.13 to 4.4, do i have to delete the old one (4.13) to avoid problems?
and this kernel 4.4, still recieving security updates?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:21 pm

At first: kernel 4.4 gets support as long as your Mint. Assumed you use Mint 18.x than until 2021. That is, what LTS means = Long Time Support.

If you install kernel 4.4.latest you have to load it at boot time at first manually. If you do not see the grub menu automatically make it visible by holding the shift key immediately after powering on. Yu can now select the kernel 4.4 from the sub menu. The reason for this is, because Linux always boots by default with the kernel with the highest number (which is not always the newest).

After testing you can remove kernel 4.13 to make 4.4 loading automatically. Use the update manager -> Linux kernel for removing.

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:04 pm

thank you cosmo for the help, the problem of 'kearning not responding' in shutdown gone when i replaced the kernel 4.13 with 4.4, but when i start the laptop and write down my password, it takes time to see my folders, black screen for like 10 s and then the screen shows up without folders, after 5 seconds it shows up, i don't know if it is a matter of time or it's another problem.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:40 am

Can you reproduce the delay by switching between kernel 4.4 and 4.13 (during boot)?

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asinoro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:59 am

If you like to remember your grub the last operating system or kernel you have to use then:

Code: Select all

gksudo xed /etc/default/grub
You change to this by adding the missing command.

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
Save close the file.

sudo update-grub
Last edited by asinoro on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:08 am

Nah cosmo like this time i turned on my laptop to reply your question, i didn't notice the delay, looks like it gone, which is a good thing

asinoro now, i'm for sure that i'm working on kernel 4.4 because in linux kernels list 4.4 is the only one i have and it's active, and i already choose it in grub menu while rebooting by holding Shift button, do i need to write this codes in terminal now?

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asinoro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am

This will do the job automatically if you have more OS or kernels.

TheDesigner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheDesigner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:16 am

Thank you very much cosmo and asiniro you were very helpful for me, hope all L.M.F mermber were like you two.

Return to “Newbie Questions”