can't find it's sound card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
John T
Level 1
Level 1

Re: can't find it's sound card

Post by John T »

P.S.- sound card info:

$ lshw -c sound
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
version: 02
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0
resources: irq:25 memory:dc440000-dc443fff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

I'm very sorry it's taking so much to get this working. It certainly doesn't help with our timezone and schedule differences.

Is there any output from sudo modprobe -v snd-hda-intel? If so, go back to the sound settings and see if you have other choices now. If not, I want you to install and run the ALSA info script by typing the following:
cd ~/ to make sure you're in your home directory, then
wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh

That will get then run the script. You just follow prompts, and when given the choice, select to upload versus save locally. When done, the URL will be in your terminal window so you can paste it back here.

With any luck (don't count on it, I'm not) the modprobe will fix it.

Good luck!
John T
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John T »

The URL is
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=38c01 ... f65c02e686

What do I/you do with it? !!
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

I've looked through that output trying to figure out your problem. The one thing I spotted that I can't figure out is in the very last section:
[ 28.667452] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
Mine says:
[ 12.727727] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC2D0: speaker_outs=1 (0x17/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
To me, that would imply no speakers available.

I'll look more carefully through it in a little while to see if I can find anything that might help.

I think you should probably delete the line you added earlier in alsa-base.conf with:
gksudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and delete the last line (options snd-hda-intel model=auto) then save the file and reboot.

Then run the script again with bash alsa-info.sh and post the new URL.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Well, I've gone through this a bunch and I think this is what is happening. It looks like your system is only recognizing the digital sound and not the analog sound. What is stranger (to me) is that analog is device 0 (first) and digital is device 1 (second.)

At the moment, I'm stumped.

If aplay -D plughw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav doesn't play a sound (I'm guessing it won't,) all I can suggest at this time is a USB sound card similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External ... sound+card

I'll check back tomorrow if there's been any progress.
John T
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John T »

Thank you for keeping on trying. I gave up any pretensions of programming when I discovered MS Excel. I'd begun around late 70s/early 80s when a Tandy TRS 80 had a massive 16 Kb of memory and a cassette tape recorder to save my efforts, then progressed on to a 32 then 64 Kb BBC basic machines. I use HTML to run my websites (www.johnandgwyn.co.uk and www.shares.f9.co.uk) but haven't a clue with Linux!

Regards from a sunny UK

John T
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

John T wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:22 am
Thank you for keeping on trying. I gave up any pretensions of programming when I discovered MS Excel. I'd begun around late 70s/early 80s when a Tandy TRS 80 had a massive 16 Kb of memory and a cassette tape recorder to save my efforts, then progressed on to a 32 then 64 Kb BBC basic machines. I use HTML to run my websites (www.johnandgwyn.co.uk and www.shares.f9.co.uk) but haven't a clue with Linux!
I've had an on again-off again affair with computers. Learned BASIC (can't remember which one, and never understood Star Trek) and Fortran IV in the early eighties (remember when floppies were really floppy? And HUGE!) After some years away, came back to Windows for Workgroups and up the Microsoft ladder I climbed, but just as an ordinary user until I started playing with Visual Basic 6 and HTML. I finally got pretty decent at those, then .NET, CSS and HTML5 made a lot of what I'd learned obsolete, so back to just regular computer use.

Less than a year ago, I needed to do something when my usual browsers couldn't be updated anymone (WinXP desktop that to my knowledge never had a virus.) That's when I found Mint. Learning this new OS was kind of fun again. I'm no linux guru, but I can usually google my way to any resolution I need. I cannot at this time afford to support the Mint developers, so I try to help others as much as I can on this forum.

Now speaking of helping others, other than my last suggestion of a USB sound card, I have seen more than a few people with sound issues similar to yours that had good results by installing 18.1 (I think, but not positive they also upgraded to 18.3 successfully.) So that could be an option as well.

Other than that, I am pretty much out of ideas.
Regards from a sunny UK
I heard that happens .... sometimes. :D
John T
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John T »

I've updated to 18.3, re-run previous suggestions and blindly installed apt with snd in the title ! Still no sound through either speakers or the headphone jack socket.
Should I upgrade this problem up the support forum food chain?
Have a good weekend!
Regards,

John T
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

I think the only suggestions higher sources might offer is to follow this sound troubleshooting guide and/or Upgrade ALSA

If you want to try upgrading ALSA, I'm pretty sure those steps won't work unless you are running a 4.4 series kernel.

Hopefully, someone else might have other suggestions here on the forum.

Either way, good luck. And please let us know if you get this resolved.
John T
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John T »

to quote The Hitch Hikers Guide: "Thanks for all the fish" !

Cheers,

John
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by birkopf »

Hi guys,

i have the same problem and I made it by installing drivers directly from Realtek site. Driver was original but during compilation some errors occurred and I didn't knew how to reverse them.

Nonetheless - i managed to get the sound, alsamixer works only from terminal, and I cannot get pulseaudio daemon running even that everything is installed. Second thing I cannot get (even after kernel upgrades, etc) is the sound icon in the notification area.

In audio setting my "dummy" card dissipated and I don't have anything there now :)
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Hi birkopf.

It sounds like you're saying your sound works, but pulseaudio doesn't. Is that correct? There's a decent chance the lack of pulseaudio running is the reason your sound icon has disappeared.

If you're wanting to fix things, please post the output from the following terminal commands: inxi -Fxz and aplay -l and sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by birkopf »

I'd like to fix that :)

I cannot seems to get pulse audio running (or even forct start it)

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz:
System:    Host: xxx Kernel: 4.20.0-042000-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.0 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Micro-Star product: PS42 8RB v: REV:0.B serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-14B1 v: REV:1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: E14B1IMS.10C 
           date: 09/04/2018 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 44.0 Wh condition: 45.1/50.0 Wh (90%) model: BIF0_9 status: Unknown 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-8250U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev: A 
           L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 28800 
           Speed: 700 MHz min/max: 400/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 700 2: 700 3: 700 4: 700 5: 700 6: 701 7: 700 
           8: 700 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX150] driver: N/A bus ID: 03:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.8 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.20.0-042000-generic 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.38 TiB used: 473.00 GiB (33.6%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: A-Data model: SX6000PNP size: 476.94 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: Samsung model: M3 Portable size: 931.51 GiB 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 279 Uptime: 1m Memory: 15.54 GiB used: 2.01 GiB (12.9%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
           gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 inxi: 3.0.27 

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC298 Analog [ALC298 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]

sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*
doesn't return any results

sudo fuser /dev/snd/pcm* 
also nothing
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Okay. Is firejail running? If you're not sure then it probably isn't.

Have you messed with any default configuration files in /etc/pulse/ or /etc/modprobe.d/? If so, did you return them to their original state when it didn't work?

What happens when you try pulseaudio --start in the terminal? If it just gives an error, try again after deleting the files in /home/YourUserName/.config/pulse

Any error reported when you run aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav?
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by birkopf »

Hi Mr Een,

I did mess up the config, but not by myself - the realted driver which I was compiling has written something in the system but I'm not sure where.
I have purgred and reinstalled alsa and pulse but I managed only to have it working hald way.

Here is the output you asked for:

pulseaudio --start
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
Deleting pulse folder from home directory doesn't help.

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
This one abobe plays fine...
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Okay, so ALSA is fine, but PulseAudio is messed up. PulseAudio is a Cinnamon dependency, so purging it also deletes most things cinnamon. Try this:

Now that the ~/.config/pulse folder is empty, try apt install --reinstall pulseaudio and when it finishes paste back the output of the following: pulseaudio --start

If that still says startup failed, try this instead and paste back the URL it should give you if I formatted this correctly.:

pulseaudio -vvv > ~/pulse.log ; sleep 10 ; cat ~/pulse.log | nc termbin.com 9999
EDIT: also add lsmod | grep snd and pacmd list-modules
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by birkopf »

I have realised before uninstalling pulseaudio and just reainstalled (otherwise it will take down half of the system due to dependencies).

I'm very glad you are helping but still no MrEen:

pulseaudio --start
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.

pulseaudio -vvv > ~/pulse.log ; sleep 10 ; cat ~/pulse.log | nc termbin.com 9999
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
D: [pulseaudio] core-rtclock.c: Timer slack is set to 50 us.
D: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: RealtimeKit worked.
I: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: This is PulseAudio 11.1
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compilation host: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compilation CFLAGS: -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/pulseaudio-KLvIUl/pulseaudio-11.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -W -Wextra -pipe -Wno-long-long -Wno-overlength-strings -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -Wundef -Wformat=2 -Wlogical-op -Wsign-compare -Wformat-security -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wformat-nonliteral -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wcast-align -Wstrict-aliasing -Wwrite-strings -Wno-unused-parameter -ffast-math -fno-common -fdiagnostics-show-option -fdiagnostics-color=auto
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running on host: Linux x86_64 4.20.0-042000-generic #201812232030 SMP Mon Dec 24 01:32:58 UTC 2018
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Found 8 CPUs.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compiled with Valgrind support: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in valgrind mode: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in VM: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Optimized build: yes
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: FASTPATH defined, only fast path asserts disabled.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Machine ID is 82929df7ee394b73b81252fe3b4e5020.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Session ID is c2.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using runtime directory /run/user/1000/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using state directory /home/rich/.config/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using modules directory /usr/lib/pulse-11.1/modules.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode: no
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: System supports high resolution timers
D: [pulseaudio] memblock.c: Using shared memfd memory pool with 1024 slots of size 64,0 KiB each, total size is 64,0 MiB, maximum usable slot size is 65472
I: [pulseaudio] cpu-x86.c: CPU flags: CMOV MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4_1 SSE4_2 
I: [pulseaudio] svolume_mmx.c: Initialising MMX optimized volume functions.
I: [pulseaudio] remap_mmx.c: Initialising MMX optimized remappers.
I: [pulseaudio] svolume_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized volume functions.
I: [pulseaudio] remap_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized remappers.
I: [pulseaudio] sconv_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized conversions.
I: [pulseaudio] svolume_orc.c: Initialising ORC optimized volume functions.
W: [pulseaudio] module-equalizer-sink.c: module-equalizer-sink is currently unsupported, and can sometimes cause PulseAudio crashes, increased latency or audible artifacts.
W: [pulseaudio] module-equalizer-sink.c: If you're facing audio problems, try unloading this module as a potential workaround.
E: [pulseaudio] module-equalizer-sink.c: Master sink not found
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-equalizer-sink" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon terminated.

lsmod | grep snd
snd_soc_skl           106496  0
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     53248  1
snd_soc_hdac_hda       24576  1 snd_soc_skl
snd_hda_ext_core       28672  2 snd_soc_hdac_hda,snd_soc_skl
snd_soc_skl_ipc        61440  1 snd_soc_skl
snd_soc_sst_ipc        20480  1 snd_soc_skl_ipc
snd_soc_sst_dsp        36864  1 snd_soc_skl_ipc
snd_soc_acpi_intel_match    24576  1 snd_soc_skl
snd_soc_acpi           16384  2 snd_soc_acpi_intel_match,snd_soc_skl
snd_soc_core          233472  2 snd_soc_hdac_hda,snd_soc_skl
snd_hda_codec_realtek   114688  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    77824  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_compress           24576  1 snd_soc_core
ac97_bus               16384  1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm_dmaengine      16384  1 snd_soc_core
snd_hda_intel          45056  0
snd_hda_codec         126976  5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_soc_hdac_hda
snd_hda_core           86016  8 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_ext_core,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_soc_hdac_hda,snd_soc_skl
snd_hwdep              20480  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm               106496  8 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_ext_core,snd_hda_codec,snd_soc_core,snd_soc_skl,snd_hda_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd_seq_dummy          16384  0
snd_seq_oss            40960  0
snd_seq_midi           20480  0
snd_seq_midi_event     16384  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss
snd_rawmidi            36864  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                69632  6 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_dummy
snd_seq_device         16384  4 snd_seq,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi
snd_timer              36864  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    86016  14 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi
soundcore              16384  1 snd

pacmd list-modules
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

pulseaudio
W: [pulseaudio] module-equalizer-sink.c: module-equalizer-sink is currently unsupported, and can sometimes cause PulseAudio crashes, increased latency or audible artifacts.
W: [pulseaudio] module-equalizer-sink.c: If you're facing audio problems, try unloading this module as a potential workaround.
E: [pulseaudio] module-equalizer-sink.c: Master sink not found
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-equalizer-sink" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

AHA! Let's see the output of cat /etc/pulse/default.pa

I think we're on to something here.
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by birkopf »

You're clearly on to something - I'm not good enought, I just follow :)

Could you write a sentence or two how you investigate this things and look for cuase ? I will learn something and also everyone else that reads this thread :)

Here is the output:

cat /etc/pulse/default.pa

load-module module-equalizer-sink
load-module module-dbus-protocol
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

birkopf wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:16 am
You're clearly on to something - I'm not good enought, I just follow :)

Could you write a sentence or two how you investigate this things and look for cuase ? I will learn something and also everyone else that reads this thread :)

Here is the output:

cat /etc/pulse/default.pa

load-module module-equalizer-sink
load-module module-dbus-protocol
With experience in trying to troubleshoot sound issues, I've learned the causes of many issues. Having pulseaudio fail to start isn't a common issue. When that happens pulseaudio -vvv will usually give a clue right before it exits. In your case, you've overwritten the original default.pa file now having just those 2 lines. I'm guessing you tried following some instruction to install pulseaudio-equalizer or something similar and overwrote the original file instead of adding to it. Here's a copy of the full file:

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
#
# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

# This startup script is used only if PulseAudio is started per-user
# (i.e. not in system mode)

.fail

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices
load-module module-device-restore
load-module module-stream-restore
load-module module-card-restore

### Automatically augment property information from .desktop files
### stored in /usr/share/application
load-module module-augment-properties

### Should be after module-*-restore but before module-*-detect
load-module module-switch-on-port-available

### Use hot-plugged devices like Bluetooth or USB automatically (LP: #1702794)
.ifexists module-switch-on-connect.so
load-module module-switch-on-connect
.endif

### Load audio drivers statically
### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
.else
### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev support)
load-module module-detect
.endif

### Automatically connect sink and source if JACK server is present
.ifexists module-jackdbus-detect.so
.nofail
load-module module-jackdbus-detect channels=2
.fail
.endif

### Automatically load driver modules for Bluetooth hardware
.ifexists module-bluetooth-policy.so
load-module module-bluetooth-policy
.endif

.ifexists module-bluetooth-discover.so
load-module module-bluetooth-discover
.endif

### Load several protocols
.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix
.endif
load-module module-native-protocol-unix

### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
### here if you plan to use paprefs)
#load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp
#load-module module-native-protocol-tcp
#load-module module-zeroconf-publish

### Load the RTP receiver module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-rtp-recv

### Load the RTP sender module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2 rate=44100 sink_properties="device.description='RTP Multicast Sink'"
#load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor

### Load additional modules from GConf settings. This can be configured with the paprefs tool.
### Please keep in mind that the modules configured by paprefs might conflict with manually
### loaded modules.
.ifexists module-gconf.so
.nofail
load-module module-gconf
.fail
.endif

### Automatically restore the default sink/source when changed by the user
### during runtime
### NOTE: This should be loaded as early as possible so that subsequent modules
### that look up the default sink/source get the right value
load-module module-default-device-restore

### Automatically move streams to the default sink if the sink they are
### connected to dies, similar for sources
load-module module-rescue-streams

### Make sure we always have a sink around, even if it is a null sink.
load-module module-always-sink

### Honour intended role device property
load-module module-intended-roles

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

### If autoexit on idle is enabled we want to make sure we only quit
### when no local session needs us anymore.
.ifexists module-console-kit.so
load-module module-console-kit
.endif
.ifexists module-systemd-login.so
load-module module-systemd-login
.endif

### Enable positioned event sounds
load-module module-position-event-sounds

### Cork music/video streams when a phone stream is active
load-module module-role-cork

### Modules to allow autoloading of filters (such as echo cancellation)
### on demand. module-filter-heuristics tries to determine what filters
### make sense, and module-filter-apply does the heavy-lifting of
### loading modules and rerouting streams.
load-module module-filter-heuristics
load-module module-filter-apply

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
#set-default-source input
In the terminal enter xed admin:///etc/pulse/default.pa and overwrite what you have with the above then save the file. Then pulseaudio --start will probably work depending on what else may have been done.

Make sure you eliminate what you have in that file even if you think it's necessary for you. We can always properly add it back later.

EDIT: And here's what I meant about pulseaudio -vvv helping to show the cause:

It failed to load module-equalizer-sink then shut down. The default.pa file is where the module loading instructions are kept, so asking to see your copy of default.pa showed me the reason for the issue. If that file had looked normal, I'd have asked to see if you have ~/.config/pulse/default.pa file which would have been used if it existed instead of the /etc/pulse/default.pa version.

Return to “Newbie Questions”