Mint 18.3 x64 keeps exiting suspend

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
primuspaul

Mint 18.3 x64 keeps exiting suspend

Post by primuspaul »

I put Mint on a Dell desktop. It goes to suspend just fine (power LED starts blinking, screen off, fans off), but it seems to return from suspend without any input. There is no mouse connected. There are two keyboards, but one is safely tucked away with no chance of a button being pushed and the other (wireless) is turned off with a switch right on the keyboard.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 18.3 x64 keeps exiting suspend

Post by catweazel »

primuspaul wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 pm I put Mint on a Dell desktop. It goes to suspend just fine (power LED starts blinking, screen off, fans off), but it seems to return from suspend without any input.
Check your BIOS for wake settings such as Wake On LAN (WOL).
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

It was already disabled.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Try plugging the wireless keyboard receiver into different usb ports and try suspending without it plugged in at all.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

I'll try that later on, but FYI I used the wireless keyboard on a Dell Mint laptop (serving in the same role, being put on standby) and it never exited suspend unless input was sent via the keyboard.
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

Still happening. I figured out how to reproduce it: by turning on the light. No idea why.

I tried to test it a few more times and it was no longer working.
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

It's happening again. When I turn on the light. Anyone know how to prevent it?
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

What is the result of

Code: Select all

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup | grep enabled
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

FreedomTruth wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:01 am What is the result of

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup | grep enabled

EHC1 S3 *enabled pci:0000:00:1d.0
EHC2 S3 *enabled pci:0000:00:1a.0
GLAN S4 *enabled pci:0000:00:19.0
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

primuspaul wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 pm It's happening again. When I turn on the light. Anyone know how to prevent it?
Is that an led light? I have had some that generate a lot of noise in my ham station receiver.
Also dimmer switches are notorious for radio interference.
Try removing the usb stub after suspend and turn the lights on/off a few times to find out
if it is indeed noise being picked up by the wireless kb receiver.
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

all41 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:12 pm
primuspaul wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 pm It's happening again. When I turn on the light. Anyone know how to prevent it?
Is that an led light? I have had some that generate a lot of noise in my ham station receiver.
Also dimmer switches are notorious for radio interference.
Try removing the usb stub after suspend and turn the lights on/off a few times to find out
if it is indeed noise being picked up by the wireless kb receiver.
The light that's causing it the most is actually one of those circular tube lights. Not sure of the technology, but pretty sure it's NOT LED.

I tried your theory anyway and unplugged the USB receiver. Unplugging it did NOT turn on the PC. While it was unplugged, I turned the switch on the circular bulb and it immediately caused the PC to wake up.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Those cfl type bulbs also have a switch-mode power converter in the base of the bulb. These things also cause a lot of radio interference as well.
That was the reason for suggesting removing the wireless usb receivers. Perhaps the pulse is coming in via the ac power lines. Is the light perhaps a desk lamp that shares the same power outlet with the desktop, and perhaps the modem/router? Is the router connected to the desktop via ethernet cable? If so try the same on/off sequence with that cable disconnected.
If you can find a different type of bulb give that a try as well.

This is an interesting problem but I'm certain it's aggravating.
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

all41 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:44 pm Those cfl type bulbs also have a switch-mode power converter in the base of the bulb. These things also cause a lot of radio interference as well.
That was the reason for suggesting removing the wireless usb receivers. Perhaps the pulse is coming in via the ac power lines. Is the light perhaps a desk lamp that shares the same power outlet with the desktop, and perhaps the modem/router? Is the router connected to the desktop via ethernet cable? If so try the same on/off sequence with that cable disconnected.
If you can find a different type of bulb give that a try as well.

This is an interesting problem but I'm certain it's aggravating.
It does not share the same outlet since the lamp is connected to a switch-operated outlet. Unplugging the Ethernet cable does NOT fix the symptoms.
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

Still, I'm leaning more towards it being caused by the voltage drop when the light is turned on. Any way to prevent this from waking it up?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

If the desktop was plugged into a UPS, that should prevent a voltage drop reaching the computer.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Still, I'm leaning more towards it being caused by the voltage drop when the light is turned on.
Sounds unlikely. This seems more like a noise spike as opposed to a voltage sag.
You could prove or dispell this theory by replacing the cfl with an incandescent or led bulb of the same wattage.
If it is difficult to get to then you could try plugging in a lamp to the same wall outlet that the computer shares. Use a different type of bulb and see if that disturbs the suspend by switching on and off.
Do you have any bluetooth items? Does your desktop have a built in wireless card or tv tuner board?
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

I doubt the cheap Dell board has any of that stuff. Either way, I can replicate this by turning on a ceiling fan, too. I will try to connect it to the UPS in the room and see if that helps.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Perhaps there is something ethereal going on with power. I read this article a couple months ago but couldn't remember where.
After some crazy googling I found it--so I will share it with you. Maybe you will smile.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/23/on_call/
primuspaul

Post by primuspaul »

Wired it to UPS. Still happens. I realize it's the voltage drop: but how do I keep it from waking the computer?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

There are wall plug interference devices like:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Three-Out ... SwSv1XlmdR

But here's the thing--your desktop's power supply unit will have this type of filter built in,
and certainly your UPS will also have it.

I am able to observe power-line spikes and other interference with test equipment. They show when the central heat or air conditioning
starts. There are spikes when the vacuum cleaner starts, washer, dryer, etc. We live rural, and I can see spikes generated when grain bin motors start a quarter mile away--but none have ever caused a suspend interrupt.

You have disconnected every thing from your desktop except the monitor and plugged the system into a UPS.
You have disabled start on LAN in your bios and eliminated rf paths into your desktop by removing the usb receivers.

I do not know a solution for you.

Return to “Beginner Questions”