dual booting with second Linux O/S

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

dual booting with second Linux O/S

Post by calymea »

Hello all, I'm running Mint 5 at the moment. All good, But I would like to dual boot the computer with PClinuxOS 2009.1 Gnome version. I have been testing it on live cd at the moment, so far so good, and I would like to install it alongside Mint (retaining Mint of course). What do I need to do for this to be successful? Thanks everyone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: dual booting with second Linux O/S

Post by Husse »

Nothing really
BUT lots of distros are not as nice to other installed systems as the Mint installer so you may have to edit menu.lst by hand
Other than that i don't see problems
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I tried a multi-boot with Ubuntu jaunty, Mint 6 main, Mint 6 XFCE, and PCLOS 2009.1 KDE. PCLOS' installer insisted on installing its first partition as a primary partition. This kept closing the extended partition I had set up to handle all the partitions needed to run 4 OS. I finally had to install PCLOS first and let it set up the primary partition for swap. Then I could open an extended partition for all the other distros.

Then once I had everything set up and working well, I made the mistake of updating PCLOS. Somehow, the updates killed my multi-boot grub menu and the only OS I could boot to was PCLOS.

As Husse said,
BUT lots of distros are not as nice to other installed systems as the Mint installer
When you install PCLOS, keep a watchful eye on it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

ouch - it was a while since I last installed PCLOS...

Return to “Beginner Questions”