[SOLVED] How do you delete Trash files in Linux Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyfreshuser

[SOLVED] How do you delete Trash files in Linux Mint?

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Hi all.

How do you delete trash files in Linux Mint? I've deleted files, but after running the program Gdmap, I see that they're still taking up space as trash files.

How do I delete such trash files for good so they no longer take up space on my SSD?

The distro of Linux Mint that I'm using is Linux 18.3 Sylvia and the desktop environment is Cinnamon 3.6.6 if that helps.

Thank you.
Last edited by mintyfreshuser on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Re: How do you delete Trash files in Linux Mint?

Post by kukamuumuka »

Probably the problem is caused by running some application as root, so you do not own those files.

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f

locate .Trash
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

administrollaattori wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:20 pm Probably the problem is caused by running some application as root, so you do not own those files.

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f

locate .Trash
Thank you for your reply. I entered the code you wrote, but it said "Permission denied".

Here is what it said specifically:

mintyfresh@MintyFresh ~ $ find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
find: ‘/home/mintyfresh/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied

Do you know how to get around this "Permission denied"?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If the command does not produce more than this single line, you don't need to care about it. It is the result of a long standing bug in Mint. It can get corrected, but it will reappear, so simply leave it instead of wasting time with it. The good news is, that this buggy folder is harmless.

Coming back to the original question: How do you see, that deleted trash files take space?
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:09 pm Coming back to the original question: How do you see, that deleted trash files take space?
The files were in the "Trash" folder, but they weren't yet deleted when I made this post. Apparently, "deleted" files get sent to the Trash folder and from there have to be deleted a second time from within the Trash folder in order to be permanently deleted. In this way the Trash folder is apparently the Linux equivalent of Windows' Recycle Bin folder.

I saw that the deleted trash files take up space by using the program called Gdmap which displays how space is being used on a given drive.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

mintyfreshuser wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:24 pm Apparently, "deleted" files get sent to the Trash folder and from there have to be deleted a second time from within the Trash folder in order to be permanently deleted. In this way the Trash folder is apparently the Linux equivalent of Windows' Recycle Bin folder.
This is correct. As you described now, how to delete the content of the trash: Is your original question now answered? For me it appears so.
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

I figured out how to delete Trash files in Linux Mint. This seems to be the easiest, most straightforward way.

1) Click on the "Menu" button in the lower left-hand corner of your screen
2) Click on the "Files" icon (the icon that looks like a green file folder)
3) Click on the word "Go" at the top of the screen that appears
4) Click on the word "Trash" from the drop down menu that appears
5) Click on the words "Empty Trash" (located on the upper right part of the screen) to delete files permanently
Last edited by mintyfreshuser on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:30 pm
mintyfreshuser wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:24 pm Apparently, "deleted" files get sent to the Trash folder and from there have to be deleted a second time from within the Trash folder in order to be permanently deleted. In this way the Trash folder is apparently the Linux equivalent of Windows' Recycle Bin folder.
This is correct. As you described now, how to delete the content of the trash: Is your original question now answered? For me it appears so.
Yes, it's been answered successfully. Thank you again for your help.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Even easier:
Either place a desktop icon for the trash on the desktop - to be done from the desktop settings of the system - or / and add the trash applet to the panel. In both cases: Right click it.
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:37 pm Even easier:
Either place a desktop icon for the trash on the desktop - to be done from the desktop settings of the system - or / and add the trash applet to the panel. In both cases: Right click it.
That's a great idea. I just added the Trash folder to my desktop. Thanks again.

For anyone else who wants to do this, here is a short tutorial on how to add the Trash folder to the desktop easily:

1) Click on the "Menu" button on the lower right-hand part of your screen
2) In the white, rectangular search bar that appears, enter the word "Desktop"
3) Click on the word "Desktop" that shows up
4) Look for the word "Trash" on the window that shows up. If you see the word "OFF" just click on it to switch it to "ON".
5) Now you will see an icon for the Trash folder on your desktop which will open up if you double click on it to reveal the Trash folder
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [SOLVED] How do you delete Trash files in Linux Mint?

Post by Cosmo. »

Even that can be made easier: Right click the desktop and open the desktop settings. Now the desktop icon is only one click away.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] How do you delete Trash files in Linux Mint?

Post by bob466 »

I've always had the Trash icon on the Desktop...so easy.
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
johnlhh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnlhh »

mintyfreshuser wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:32 pm I figured out how to delete Trash files in Linux Mint. This seems to be the easiest, most straightforward way.

1) Click on the "Menu" button in the lower left-hand corner of your screen
2) Click on the "Files" icon (the icon that looks like a green file folder)
3) Click on the word "Go" at the top of the screen that appears
4) Click on the word "Trash" from the drop down menu that appears
5) Click on the words "Empty Trash" (located on the upper right part of the screen) to delete files permanently
This WORKED and thank you for the link. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”