Desktop icons disappear -- Bug?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Desktop icons disappear -- Bug?

Post by markfilipak »

My desktop icons: trash & mounted drives, disappear when I double-click a desktop URL-link. Rebooting restores them. What's happening?

Searching the Internet did not bring joy.

Details:
I read somewhere that dragging a URL from a browser to the desktop would create a link. I tried it. It does. But when I double-click the link, the link does not open in my (running) browser, and all of the desktop icons disappear. Right-clicking the desktop stops working also.

Seems like a bug. Is it? Or is it user-stupidity? Help, please.

Kind Regards -- Mark.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Desktop icons disappear -- Bug?

Post by kyphi »

markfilipak wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:51 pm But when I double-click the link, the link does not open in my (running) browser
... and your running browser is ?

URLs work fine in Firefox 58.0.2 if it is the default browser.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

kyphi wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 pm... and your running browser is ?
Firefox 58.0.2 (64-bit).

...About 20 minutes later: Though the desktop picture didn't change, I suspected that something may have been changing the workspace, so I disabled workspaces, rebooted, and reran the test. I did that several times. The symptoms remained the same. I also confirmed that links in emails worked as expected, even if the browser was not running. So the problem is hard & repeatable.

...I just double-clicked on the desktop link again to confirm that right-click on the desktop (i.e., context menu) doesn't work, and it doesn't work. The icons disappear and the desktop context menu disappears. Whatever the problem is, it's making the desktop numb.

...I just disabled the Show Desktop applet in Panel & reran the test. I still have the problem, so I can eliminate the applet. I'm out of ideas.

If it was just a case of the browser not receiving the link, I'd suspect the browser, but the icons disappearing and the desktop context menu malfunctioning? ...

PS: During my web searches, I found a lot of posts regarding desktop icons disappearing but I couldn't find a pattern to them.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Try a right click on the panel, select "troubleshoot" and opt for "Restore all settings to default".

You might also temporarily disable Add-ons and Extensions in Firefox.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

kyphi wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:33 pm Try a right click on the panel, select "troubleshoot" and opt for "Restore all settings to default".

You might also temporarily disable Add-ons and Extensions in Firefox.
Before I try the desktop link, there is no "troubleshoot" in the context menu. After I try the desktop link and the desktop icons have disappeared, there is no context menu.

...Later update: I tried running the browser in safe mode. No change. Even without the browser running at all, double-clicking the desktop link causes the desktop icons to disappear and the context menu to disappear.

PS: Oh, by the way, I get no messages in '~/xsession-errors' related to this problem.

One more thing. In 'System Settings'>'Desktop', 'Show desktop icons on all monitors' & 'Allow icons from missing monitors to be displayed on the existing ones' are both selected. The thing that, I believe, is most revealing is that the right-click context menu disappears when the desktop link is clicked.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

What do you see if you first right-click it and open it with a text editor? It may not be URL a link at all. It may be trying to execute code instead and, as this isn't expected or supported in this way, causes the crash.

Does restarting Cinnamon help? cinnamon --replace in Terminal.

I have found that dragging and dropping (using SHIFT or CTRL) creates a copy of the embedded code in the link rather than its image or the link itself. Simply dragging and dropping a link seems to do the same thing.

Only way AFAIK is to right-click and copy the URL, then use that to create your link.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

BG405 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:08 pm What do you see if you first right-click it and open it with a text editor? It may not be URL...
Good idea, but...

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Link to Cinnamon - Linux Mint Forums
Type=Link
URL=https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=208
Icon=text-html
Name[en_US]=test
Looking at this file contents was the 1st thing I did after creating it. You see, I want to manually duplicate these file formats elsewhere. But it was a good idea. Good thinking.
Does restarting Cinnamon help? cinnamon --replace in Terminal.

I have found that dragging and dropping (using SHIFT or CTRL) creates a copy of the embedded code in the link rather than its image or the link itself. Simply dragging and dropping a link seems to do the same thing.

Only way AFAIK is to right-click and copy the URL, then use that to create your link.
I used drag-n-drop, but the result is the same.

I've restarted Cinnamon many times.
ImConfused
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ImConfused »

Linux Mint 19.1 Mate: What worked for me after much suffering was:
Open control center.
Look and Feel Group
Desktop settings on left
Window manager Marco (somewhere I changed this and nothing worked)

Mate Tweaks:
click Desktop Icons or unclick and click again.
Open the Caja file manager and possibly the Desktop folder. The icons reappeared.

The settings did not hold between logins.
I opened the Caja and then unclicked and clicked the Mate Tweaks Desktop Icons

Some file is not being written to, in order to hold the setting. Next time I see the warnings I have to pay attention and write it down. If I start things at the terminal there are plenty of messages which I don't usually pay attention to. Hope this helps someone.
peterling
Level 3
Level 3

Post by peterling »

Linux Mint 19.1 Mate: What worked for me after much suffering was:
Mate Menu

Systemtools (Systemwerkzeuge)
Desktop Settings (Schreibtischeinstellungen)
Window (Fenster/Fensterverwaltung)

I had

marco + composit

and changed it to

marco

and that did the trick after reboot. Thanks for the hint!
Kernel: 5.4.0-109-generic x86_64 (64 bit) - Desktop: Mate/Cinammon Distro: Linux Mint 20.3

Return to “Beginner Questions”