Anyone in the same frustrated boat as me?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyP79

Anyone in the same frustrated boat as me?

Post by AndyP79 »

Okay, I have one laptop, a Compaq with an Intel Celeron that work well enough except the sound still does not work with Mint 7. The second laptop is a newer Compaq but running a AMD Sempron.

I can not for the life of me get Mint or Ubuntu to work right on the AMD equipped one. I have been trying since the RC release. I might get it for a while, but eventually it will go back to losing sound, scratchy graphics, freezing up, crashing constantly. Today, I have done a fresh install 3 times! And all three times, it crashed.

What is going on? My old laptop with Mint 6 was fine, but now it seems like it is falling apart. Am I missing something?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Anyone in the same frustrated boat as me?

Post by bennachie »

Please forgive me if I'm simply going over old ground, but the usual solution to "lack-of-sound" problems in the current round of Gnome-based distros is to open the terminal, and enter "alsamixer -c0" (without quotation marks). You will be presented with a "Windows-XP-style" dialogue box which includes a series of vertical bar charts showing various input and output unit settings. Navigate along the charts using the left- and right-arrow keys, and set everything to maximum using the up-arrow key. Worked like a charm for my Compaq c700 laptop.

I understand there is an upstream bug in PulseAudio which will be fixed sometime.
AndyP79

Re: Anyone in the same frustrated boat as me?

Post by AndyP79 »

Yea, unfortunately, I have used that dialogue box, of which does nothing. A release or two ago, Ubuntu was having issues with Pulse, so a lot of people went back to Alsa. I guess I hope that some bugs will get fixed soon, and just work off my external hard drive until things get fixed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”