Samba will not run in Linux Mint 18.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
After8Minty

Samba will not run in Linux Mint 18.3

Post by After8Minty »

:oops: Please can someone explain what I am doing wrong with Samba. I need to network with my Windows 10 PC to collect some files to work with but can't get Samba to run. I have installed system-config-samba which I understand is needed in order for me to use Samba but when I click on the launch button nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? I have attached a view of some elements connected with Samba which are currently installed so I hope someone can help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Samba will not run in Linux Mint 18.3

Post by catweazel »

After8Minty wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:38 am What am I doing wrong?
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/i ... re-samba#0
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

After8Minty wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:38 am :oops: Please can someone explain what I am doing wrong with Samba. I need to network with my Windows 10 PC to collect some files to work with but can't get Samba to run. I have installed system-config-samba which I understand is needed in order for me to use Samba but when I click on the launch button nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? I have attached a view of some elements connected with Samba which are currently installed so I hope someone can help.
Open a terminal and run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf
Then go back in the menu and run Samba again.

It's a bug. A bug in the actual packaging of system-config-samba. It's not likely to ever get fixed but that is another issue.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
After8Minty

Re: Samba will not run in Linux Mint 18.3 [Solved]

Post by After8Minty »

Open a terminal and run this command:

Then go back in the menu and run Samba again.

It's a bug. A bug in the actual packaging of system-config-samba. It's not likely to ever get fixed but that is another issue.

Thanks altair4, Samba is now running OK. :)
After8Minty

Post by After8Minty »

catweazel wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:50 am
After8Minty wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:38 am What am I doing wrong?
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/i ... re-samba#0
Thanks catweazel - looks like I have a lot more to learn!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

After8Minty wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:37 am Thanks catweazel - looks like I have a lot more to learn!
You're most welcome.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

I found important this subject, if you add [SOLVED] at your first post title, you will help other future users.
FT277002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FT277002 »

Note too a simple point: If Gufw Firewall is on and set to deny incoming, all file-sharing won't work. You could add exception entries, or just disable it when occasional sharing is needed.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

Try this to enable.

sudo ufw allow Samba
To disable.

sudo ufw deny Samba
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just to clarify the nature of the original post this is not a question on the inability to install, configure, and run a samba server. It is specifically about a problem with an application called system-config-samba.

Once installed it adds an entry in the Menu called "Samba". The problem with it is it doesn't run when launched.

If you run system-config-samba in the terminal you end up with an error message that looks something like this:
gksudo system-config-samba
File "/usr/sbin/system-config-samba", line 45, in <module>
mainWindow.MainWindow(debug_flag)
File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/mainWindow.py", line 121, in __init__
self.basic_preferences_win = basicPreferencesWin.BasicPreferencesWin(self, self.xml, self.samba_data, self.samba_backend, self.main_window)
File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/basicPreferencesWin.py", line 97, in __init__
self.admin = libuser.admin()
SystemError: could not open configuration file `/etc/libuser.conf': No such file or directory
My solution was not all that profound ... if the file ain't there add it:

There is a bug report for this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1421194 It's 3 years old folks - it's never going to get fixed. There is another one somewhere that was tagged as Invalid most likely because no one at Ubuntu or Debian has ever heard of Samba.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”