Mouse pointer size varies

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
vansloneker
Level 4
Level 4

Mouse pointer size varies

Post by vansloneker » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:56 am

For better visibility I like to change the mouse theme to DMZ-black in Mouse properties. I also set the mouse size to 48, being the largest size. I have learned that I have to edit /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme to DMZ-black to avoid it returning to white. This works fine.

But, the set pointer size of 48 keeps changing. It will go from large to small to large and back to small again at random moments. Most of the time it seems to be small and less of the time desired large size. It's annoying!
Unless stated otherwise Mint 18.3-64 XFCE

Tom739
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mouse pointer size varies

Post by Tom739 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:13 am

I have noticed a sporadic problem with my mouse pointer as well, which may be related to your problem. I am running

- Linux Mint 18.3 Mate
- 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP

and I have changed the look of my mouse pointer per "Control Center -> Appearance -> Customize -> Pointer" to use the theme "redglass" and the size "24" instead of the default "DMZ-White/18". I have verified per dconf editor, that my settings are correctly entered under "org.mate.peripherals-mouse" in the configuration database.

org_mate_peripherals_mouse.png
dbusEditor screenshot
org_mate_peripherals_mouse.png (13.35 KiB) Viewed 95 times

I have expected of course that right after logging into my account the mouse pointer would be set to "redglass/24". Often this did indeed happen, but several times the look of the mouse pointer remained "DMZ-White/18" when it was hovering over the empty desktop or over the panel right after the login. Only, when I hovered the mouse pointer over the window of other applications (e.g. firefox, synaptic, mterm), it changed its look to "redglass/24". In order to correct this behavior, I have (so far) logged out and logged in again. In this way, I sooner or later got a consistent "redglass/24" look of the mouse pointer even over the desktop and the panel right after the login.

Of course, this does not fix the root cause. Unfortunately, I was not able to identify a systematic pattern of the occurence of this problem. E.g. it is not always the first login after booting that causes the problem. So, given the sporadic behavior of this problem, I wonder if it is caused by a racing condition? Maybe some Mint gurus have an idea, what causes this problem.

Regards
Tom

vansloneker
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mouse pointer size varies

Post by vansloneker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:52 am

I suppose you can fix the inconsistent theme by editing /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme to inherit your current theme.

By the way, I am running 18.3 XFCE
Unless stated otherwise Mint 18.3-64 XFCE

Return to “Newbie Questions”