Mouse pointer size varies [probably solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vansloneker

Mouse pointer size varies [probably solved]

Post by vansloneker »

For better visibility I like to change the mouse theme to DMZ-black in Mouse properties. I also set the mouse size to 48, being the largest size. I have learned that I have to edit /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme to DMZ-black to avoid it returning to white. This works fine.

But, the set pointer size of 48 keeps changing. It will go from large to small to large and back to small again at random moments. Most of the time it seems to be small and less of the time desired large size. It's annoying!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tom739
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mouse pointer size varies

Post by Tom739 »

I have noticed a sporadic problem with my mouse pointer as well, which may be related to your problem. I am running

- Linux Mint 18.3 Mate
- 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP

and I have changed the look of my mouse pointer per "Control Center -> Appearance -> Customize -> Pointer" to use the theme "redglass" and the size "24" instead of the default "DMZ-White/18". I have verified per dconf editor, that my settings are correctly entered under "org.mate.peripherals-mouse" in the configuration database.

org_mate_peripherals_mouse.png

I have expected of course that right after logging into my account the mouse pointer would be set to "redglass/24". Often this did indeed happen, but several times the look of the mouse pointer remained "DMZ-White/18" when it was hovering over the empty desktop or over the panel right after the login. Only, when I hovered the mouse pointer over the window of other applications (e.g. firefox, synaptic, mterm), it changed its look to "redglass/24". In order to correct this behavior, I have (so far) logged out and logged in again. In this way, I sooner or later got a consistent "redglass/24" look of the mouse pointer even over the desktop and the panel right after the login.

Of course, this does not fix the root cause. Unfortunately, I was not able to identify a systematic pattern of the occurence of this problem. E.g. it is not always the first login after booting that causes the problem. So, given the sporadic behavior of this problem, I wonder if it is caused by a racing condition? Maybe some Mint gurus have an idea, what causes this problem.

Regards
Tom
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I suppose you can fix the inconsistent theme by editing /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme to inherit your current theme.

By the way, I am running 18.3 XFCE
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I still have this issue more or less. On one system most of the times it's how it's set, on another system the size varies continuously, even within one window.
I had applied above suggested settings in Dconf-editor, which was promising but not the final solution.

On a fresh Mint 18.3 the problem was very persistent, with a rather small mouse pointer on the desktop and in several applications, but in the browsers the set size. When opening the mouse properties and making the mouse pointer smaller and larger again the size would be pretty good during the remaining session, but once rebooted, it was back to the small. This had to be permanently corrected, or the install would be a failure.

After long search -this appeared to be a common problem on many distributions where many people had to deal with- and many things tried I found a solution from someone who had edited

Code: Select all

/etc/X11/Xresources/x11-common
For my particular situation I had added the lines

Code: Select all

Xcursor.size: 41
Xcursor.theme: DMZ-Black
I have chosen 41 because in mouse properties when increasing the pointer size from 40 to 41 it would actually increase but above that no more. Probably the cursor is not scale-able but cursors come in steps. 41 seems an unlikely figure to me though, but it works. So far the size was the pre-set size and stayed that way so I am confident this is what solved it.

If you have the same problem you can add your size and theme in x11-common
Tom739
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Mouse pointer size varies

Post by Tom739 »

Actually, it seems that the original problem is gone on my system. I have installed all recommended updates in the past years and I am no longer able to reproduce that pointer issue. I am still running Mint Mate 18.3 meanwhile with the kernel 4.15.0-115-generic.

Regards
Tom

Return to “Beginner Questions”