(abandoned) Virtualbox Drivers: Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gregoryshock
Level 3
Level 3

(abandoned) Virtualbox Drivers: Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?

Post by gregoryshock » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm new to virtualbox. Following some online instructions I got Virtualbox Version 5.2.8 r121009 Installed. Once I got Linux Mint xfce 18.3 installed I realized that I was going to need the guestadditons installed. Following some more online instructions I installed the Additons with this command: sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditons.run After installing all the updates I rebooted and then I tried to install the drivers. What I noticed is the driver virtualbox-guest-x11 installer freezes up. If I can not use this driver then how come the Driver Manager doesn't tell me so?
Last edited by gregoryshock on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Virtualbox Drivers: Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?

Post by Mute Ant » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 pm

The virtualbox-guest-additions are for Mint running in a virtualbox... is that what you are doing?
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

gregoryshock
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Virtualbox Drivers: Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?

Post by gregoryshock » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:27 am

Mute Ant wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 pm
The virtualbox-guest-additions are for Mint running in a virtualbox... is that what you are doing?
I said in my first post that I'm running Mint in virtualbox, and that I installed the guest additions through a terminal command. The command is this: sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditons and I can go full screen. But for some reason the Device Manager still thinks I have a driver update for virtualbox-guest-additions.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:10 am

In the running VM press host-n. This dialogue shows you - beside other information - the version of the guest additions you have installed. What does it show?

Like Mute Ant I wonder, what you are doing. Your command would cannot work. It would mean, that the file "VBoxLinuxAdditions" resides in the home of the user account in the VM, which is not the case. If you look for instructions, why don't you look into the help file of VB, which gives a quite different advice?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:13 am

ANS: "Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?" Mint has no idea what you install outside the dpkg system.

Mint has virtualbox-guest-additions in the ISO. You might be breaking the virtual installation trying to solve an imaginary deficit.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

gregoryshock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gregoryshock » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:48 pm

I haven't had time to mess around with this. All I know it works either way, but it seems you either do one and not the other or the other and not the other. It's just weird.

smurphos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: (abandoned) Virtualbox Drivers: Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?

Post by smurphos » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 am

Hi gregoryshock - agreed the scenario is a bit weird.

1) The repos used by Mint and maintained by Ubuntu include a version of the vbox-guest packages matched to the version of vbox offered by the repos. This is supposed to make things easier when running Mint/Ubuntu as a guest, but in reality is a bad idea because there is no guarantee that the host will be running that particular vbox version and it is generally a better idea to use the guest additions matched to the version of vbox on the host system.

2) The current versions of the vbox-guest-packages in the repos have also proved to be buggy with Mint full-stop so Mint has recently blocked their installation entirely. But I guess there is no way to stop them showing as available packages and thus appearing as an option in the Driver Manager in Mint running as a guest on Vbox. Basically just ignore them. As you've discovered they can't be activated anymore in any case.

3) The recommended way to install guest additions is as per the official Vbox documentation - https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html. Basically, you pull down the vbox devices menu, insert the vbox-guest-iso that came with whatever version of vbox you are using and follow the prompts then reboot the virtual machine. Done.

pbear
Level 5
Level 5

Re: (abandoned) Virtualbox Drivers: Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?

Post by pbear » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:37 pm

FYI, part of the challenge here was that, unlike Cinnamon and Mate, the guest additions virtual CD does not autorun in XFCE. Rather, it must be run from Terminal. Problem is, the OP used an incorrect form of the command, which should have been sudo sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run. That is, he left out the bash command (the "sh"). Unknown whether this is his error or his source's, as it's not linked, but I've seen at least one tutorial making the same mistake.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

gregoryshock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gregoryshock » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:31 pm

pbear wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:37 pm
FYI, part of the challenge here was that, unlike Cinnamon and Mate, the guest additions virtual CD does not autorun in XFCE. Rather, it must be run from Terminal. Problem is, the OP used an incorrect form of the command, which should have been sudo sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run. That is, he left out the bash command (the "sh"). Unknown whether this is his error or his source's, as it's not linked, but I've seen at least one tutorial making the same mistake.
I don't remember where I got that command. I'm not very good with bash.

Return to “Newbie Questions”