Virtualbox Drivers: Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gregoryshock
Level 2
Level 2

Virtualbox Drivers: Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?

Post by gregoryshock » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm new to virtualbox. Following some online instructions I got Virtualbox Version 5.2.8 r121009 Installed. Once I got Linux Mint xfce 18.3 installed I realized that I was going to need the guestadditons installed. Following some more online instructions I installed the Additons with this command: sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditons.run After installing all the updates I rebooted and then I tried to install the drivers. What I noticed is the driver virtualbox-guest-x11 installer freezes up. If I can not use this driver then how come the Driver Manager doesn't tell me so?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Virtualbox Drivers: Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?

Post by Mute Ant » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 pm

The virtualbox-guest-additions are for Mint running in a virtualbox... is that what you are doing?
You were in the left-hand lane and you were signalling left and I more or less assumed you were going to turn left.

gregoryshock
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Virtualbox Drivers: Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?

Post by gregoryshock » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:27 am

Mute Ant wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 pm
The virtualbox-guest-additions are for Mint running in a virtualbox... is that what you are doing?
I said in my first post that I'm running Mint in virtualbox, and that I installed the guest additions through a terminal command. The command is this: sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditons and I can go full screen. But for some reason the Device Manager still thinks I have a driver update for virtualbox-guest-additions.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:10 am

In the running VM press host-n. This dialogue shows you - beside other information - the version of the guest additions you have installed. What does it show?

Like Mute Ant I wonder, what you are doing. Your command would cannot work. It would mean, that the file "VBoxLinuxAdditions" resides in the home of the user account in the VM, which is not the case. If you look for instructions, why don't you look into the help file of VB, which gives a quite different advice?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:13 am

ANS: "Why doesn't Mint tell me that I can not use virtualbox-guest-x11?" Mint has no idea what you install outside the dpkg system.

Mint has virtualbox-guest-additions in the ISO. You might be breaking the virtual installation trying to solve an imaginary deficit.
You were in the left-hand lane and you were signalling left and I more or less assumed you were going to turn left.

Return to “Newbie Questions”