Managing disk space

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
LegacyMJR
Level 1
Level 1

Managing disk space

Post by LegacyMJR » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:56 am

Each year I try to dump Windows 10 and and move to Linux Mint. So I have done it again and my first question is this. The installation has occupied the whole of my SSD but obviously the base Mint installation only needs about 9gb. When I try to use gparted to shrink the used disk space it will not let me so have I done something wrong during the installation?

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Managing disk space

Post by michael louwe » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:06 am

@ LegacyMJR, .......
LegacyMJR wrote:.
Yes, the minimum LM system is 9GB, IF the users do not install some programs, install 3D games, store movies/music/files, upgrade the Linux kernel, run Timeshift backup, etc. Eg a Timeshift snapshot or System Restore point is about 6GB in size.

How large is your SSD and why do you want to shrink the SSD.?

You cannot shrink a used disk space, only an unused or free disk space. You can normally shrink a partition that has some unused or free space.

Encryption of the disk or an LVM install will likely not allow it to be shrunk.

Like they say, "Do not fix what ain't broken".
Last edited by michael louwe on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:07 am

Are you trying to use GParted from the installed version of Mint or from a live medium (USBstick or DVD)? You can't work on a partition that is currently mounted.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:15 am

There are number of possible reasons for the problem. One is mentioned by Moem, another one is the possibility, that there is an extended partition with a swap partition inside, which prevents doing anything, as long as swap is not disabled. We need a picture of the drive layout (can be done with gparted) to see the details.

borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:56 am

I found an article awhile back that helped me discover what was eating up some of my extra disk space. The culprit ended up being Timeshift. If you don't wan't to read the article, the command you're looking for is

Code: Select all

du -ch -d 1 | sort -hr
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)

LegacyMJR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LegacyMJR » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:57 am

I tried to use gparted from the live usb but it will not change anything - I'm obviously doing something wrong. I am happy to re-install from scratch as I have not far yet. What I want to do is this:

Split my SSD so that it has a "partition" of 40GB into which I will install Mint including any swap files and whatever else is needed.

Retain an "unallocated" potion og 20GB on the SSD.

Can you please explain to me how to do this

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:54 pm

LegacyMJR,

Can you paste back a screenshot of gparted running from the live media :?:

Maybe your linux partition is getting mounted automatically and you would just need to unmount it first :wink:
ImageImage

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:32 pm

@ LegacyMJR, .......
LegacyMJR wrote:.
Is your SSD only 64GB in size.?

Normally, the LM installation will put the Swap partition at the end of the disk. If so, it is not practical and not easy to shrink and move the partitions in the LM system. Better to do a reinstall.

The reinstall will require the manual "Something else" method. Delete all the previous Linux partitions(click -) to create a new free space. Then manually partition this free space.
....... If in UEFI mode, you will need to manually create an EFI Boot Partition(= fat32/550MB/mount point is boot/efi) at the beginning of the disk and ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is this partition. And put the Swap partition at the end of the 40GB disk space.

LegacyMJR
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Managing disk space

Post by LegacyMJR » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks michael - did what you said and it's fixed. Looking at the partitions if I want to increase the space later I guess I have to delete the swap make the partition bigger then recreate the swap. Anyway as a newbie convert trying to get off windows it gave a me a chance to dust off my Unix manuals from 1995.

aNY WAY THANKS AGAIN.

Return to “Newbie Questions”