(Answered) inxi -Fxz, my Linux books don't list that command?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

(Answered) inxi -Fxz, my Linux books don't list that command?

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Greetings all,

I have the following Linux books:
Linux Pocket Guide, Daniel J Barrett, printed by O'Reilly. - Linux Phrasebook, Scott Granneman, printed by Addison-Wesly. - Linux Desk Reference, Scott Hawkins, printed by Prentice Hall PTR. - Linux Command Instant reference, Bryan Pfaffenberger, printed by Sybex. and A practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming, by Mark G. Sobell, printed by Prentice-Hall.

Not one of these books has inxi -Fxz in it's index. To be fair it maybe buried in several, but if so, why not list it in the index? [Yes I will look inxi up and see what it's man page has to say, typically I find man pages pretty useless, I just do not understand what the man page is trying to convey.]

Sadly, none of those books have proven very useful, if I do find what I'm looking for, most of the time I don't have the background knowledge to understand what the author intends. I need examples and explanations, If someone knows of a book that takes the 25 most used commands, and then explains what those commands do and provide several examples it could be ever so useful to me.

Thank you for your replies. Respectfully Massively ignorant
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: inxi -Fxz, my Linux books don't list that command?

Post by WharfRat »

See viewtopic.php?f=49&t=265932 for an explanation about inxi :wink:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Massively ignorant wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:04 pm Not one of these books has inxi -Fxz in it's index. To be fair it maybe buried in several, but if so, why not list it in the index?
You'd have to ask the authors of your books. We have no way of knowing.

The man page for inxi is actually quite good. It gives a decent description of the purpose of the program and explains what -Fxz does, and what other options there are. Well worth a look.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Massively ignorant wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:04 pmIf someone knows of a book that takes the 25 most used commands, and then explains what those commands do and provide several examples it could be ever so useful to me.
I highly recommend this book, which is also available as a free pdf download here:
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

I also used to recommend "A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux" by Mark Sobell, but the last (fourth) edition came out in 2015 and doesn't cover systemd, so the book is a bit obsolete. However, there is still a lot of good info in there, if you can find a cheap used copy.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

You could also look at man inxi but it could be outdated also
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Massively ignorant wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:04 pm Greetings all,

I have the following Linux books:
Linux Pocket Guide, Daniel J Barrett, printed by O'Reilly. - Linux Phrasebook, Scott Granneman, printed by Addison-Wesly. - Linux Desk Reference, Scott Hawkins, printed by Prentice Hall PTR. - Linux Command Instant reference, Bryan Pfaffenberger, printed by Sybex. and A practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming, by Mark G. Sobell, printed by Prentice-Hall.

Not one of these books has inxi -Fxz in it's index. To be fair it maybe buried in several, but if so, why not list it in the index? [Yes I will look inxi up and see what it's man page has to say, typically I find man pages pretty useless, I just do not understand what the man page is trying to convey.]

Sadly, none of those books have proven very useful, if I do find what I'm looking for, most of the time I don't have the background knowledge to understand what the author intends. I need examples and explanations, If someone knows of a book that takes the 25 most used commands, and then explains what those commands do and provide several examples it could be ever so useful to me.

Thank you for your replies. Respectfully Massively ignorant
here is a post made yesterday by the developer of inxi
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=265932
he is working on a new version... have a look, be a tester!
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Personally, I don't think books are particularly useful on subjects such as this. They're too quickly outdated. I would rather use the internet to get more up to date information.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I use the Man inxi and copied it all to LeafPad....

then I keep the notebook open in a narrow strip on the side of the screen,
with Terminal open on the other side,

and I experiment with each command

inxi -Fxz and -Fzx accomplish the same thing, the order is not important.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I second The Linux Command. Download the opensource book, read the entries, "Learning The Shell", and "Writing Shell Scripts".

All good commands (CMD) provide documentation, either:
- CMD --help
- man CMD
- html documentation
- or their homepage

Man pages can be read from the command line (man CMD), or you can format them into html and read from your browser (man -H CMD), or you can find them online.

At the bottom of a man page it shows where the command is maintained. This can also be found from a google search. Many of the commands are GNU utilities, in which case go to GNU Software.

I thought the site computerhope does a nice job of displaying commands with examples.

Search youtube for tutorials.

Last, there are free tutorials/classes at edx and udacity.

inxi is just a shell script that uses many of the commands that are probably in your book :-)

# what or where is inxi
===> type -a inxi
inxi is /usr/bin/inxi

===> file /usr/bin/inxi
/usr/bin/inxi: a /usr/bin/env bash script

===> less /usr/bin/inxi
# In less, up/down arrows work, use q to exit

Just a few of the commands in inxi: df gawk grep ps readlink tr uname wc

Sometimes the best way to learn is to do (and ask questions) :-)
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

To all who choose to reply, thank you very much.

Well, such a wealth of resources to peruse, as I have the time and inclination I will try to learn more. However, it is not a jest to say; "Learning makes you more ignorant." I advere this is a good kind of ignorance in that you just have more to learn and the cycle of learn - knowledge - ignorance - learn, just goes on as long as you live.

I will change the title of the OP to (Answered)

Respectfully, Massively ignorant
Pat D

Re: (Answered) inxi -Fxz, my Linux books don't list that command?

Post by Pat D »

Online free instructor-led video courses:

Cybrary.it

Return to “Beginner Questions”