[SOLVED] Accidentally deleted program installation folder

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MrIggy
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Accidentally deleted program installation folder

Post by MrIggy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm

I accidentally deleted the installation folder of Wine. I still managed to "completely remove" it with synaptic manager but since I did have some programs installed there do I need to run some type of cleaning program, like I would have to in Windows, or is everything simply deleted for good?
Last edited by MrIggy on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Accidentally deleted program installation folder

Post by Mute Ant » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:57 pm

The files Wine makes when you run it belong to you. Delete them if you like, or ignore them. If you avoid using sudo the OS is safe.
Data stored in the volume will only be accessible with the correct password. If you lose this security key, all data will be lost.

MrIggy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrIggy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Mute Ant wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:57 pm
The files Wine makes when you run it belong to you. Delete them if you like, or ignore them. If you avoid using sudo the OS is safe.
What I meant was, are there going to be certain leftover files from the programs I had installed in Wine because I deleted the installation folder but didn't uninstall the programs first? Are they only installed in the Wine folder so when I deleted them they are deleted for good or do I need something like CCleaner in Windows so I delete any leftover files as well?

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:20 pm

They're only installed in the Wine folder. Nothing else needs to be cleaned.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

MrIggy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrIggy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Moem wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:20 pm
They're only installed in the Wine folder. Nothing else needs to be cleaned.
Great, thank you.

Return to “Newbie Questions”