(SOLVED) My sound is...quiet

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ovisergiu
Level 3
Level 3

(SOLVED) My sound is...quiet

Post by ovisergiu »

Hello!
So I finally made the big step: I divorced Windows and married Mint Cinammon 18.3 x64 with my PC.
Everything is almost perfect, but the sound... the sound makes me so dissapointed.
I have an audio card (Xonar) and the sound is very very quiet. I really do not know what to do.
Of course I searched over the Internet but I found only HDMI problems+cables (not my problem)
Can someone help me please set up my audio settings so I can have a normal level when using my sound card?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
(MAIN) PC: LM 21 Cinnamon, x64, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @3.40 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD
(Occasionally): Emachines e725 laptop: 3 GB RAM, Dual core Pentium T4500 (-MCP-) cache:1024 KB, Graphic Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
kukamuumuka

Re: My sound is...quiet

Post by kukamuumuka »

Run terminal-command alsamixer and increase voice levels.
ovisergiu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ovisergiu »

Thank you! I did that but in Windows the levels were so much powerful. I could hear the music so much better.
(MAIN) PC: LM 21 Cinnamon, x64, Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @3.40 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD
(Occasionally): Emachines e725 laptop: 3 GB RAM, Dual core Pentium T4500 (-MCP-) cache:1024 KB, Graphic Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

ovisergiu wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:37 am Thank you! I did that but in Windows the levels were so much powerful. I could hear the music so much better.
Try add volume via Terminal using commands

Code: Select all

pactl -- set-sink-volume 0 200%

pactl -- set-sink-volume 0 300%

pactl -- set-sink-volume 0 400%
ovisergiu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ovisergiu »

I think I made it!
While using the first command from the previous post, I saw that F6=Soundcards so I pressed it and chosed my soundcard and the volume for that was low...
Problem solved!
Many many thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”