[Solved] Trying to install steam.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Xavier321

[Solved] Trying to install steam.

Post by Xavier321 »

Hi

I am trying to install something for the first time (version 18.3) but I am getting errors.

I am using the software manager thing to try and install steam and it gets so far and then just stops with error messages.

"The following packages have unmet dependencies.
libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 : Depends: libdrm-amdgpu1:i386 (>= 2.4.63) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libdrm-intel1:i386 (>= 2.4.48) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libdrm-nouveau2:i386 (>= 2.4.66) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libdrm-radeon1:i386 (>= 2.4.31) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libdrm2:i386 (>= 2.4.66) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libelf1:i386 (>= 0.142) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libllvm3.8:i386 but it is not going to be installed
libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 : Depends: libdrm2:i386 (>= 2.3.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

This is followed by a check box that says:

"You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libc.so.6"

I did try to google this but all I could was a site telling me to try this :-

<find $HOME/.steam/root/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/*/usr/lib/ -name "libstdc++.so.6" -exec mv "{}" "{}.bak" \; -print>

However it dies not work, there were also several 'alternative' install methods dotted around the place all of which kept turning up the same area.

Anyone have a solution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Trying to install steam.

Post by kukamuumuka »

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial multiverse"
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install steam
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/06/ins ... -16-04-lts
https://www.linux.fi/wiki/Steam
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

Xavier321 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:48 pm Hi

I am trying to install something for the first time (version 18.3) but I am getting errors.

I am using the software manager thing to try and install steam and it gets so far and then just stops with error messages.

"The following packages have unmet dependencies.
libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 : Depends: libdrm-amdgpu1:i386 (>= 2.4.63) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libdrm-intel1:i386 (>= 2.4.48) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libdrm-nouveau2:i386 (>= 2.4.66) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libdrm-radeon1:i386 (>= 2.4.31) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libdrm2:i386 (>= 2.4.66) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libelf1:i386 (>= 0.142) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libllvm3.8:i386 but it is not going to be installed
libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 : Depends: libdrm2:i386 (>= 2.3.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

This is followed by a check box that says:

"You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libc.so.6"

I did try to google this but all I could was a site telling me to try this :-

<find $HOME/.steam/root/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/*/usr/lib/ -name "libstdc++.so.6" -exec mv "{}" "{}.bak" \; -print>

However it dies not work, there were also several 'alternative' install methods dotted around the place all of which kept turning up the same area.

Anyone have a solution?
I'm just curious if you tried to download the .deb package from steam's official website or not? Any issues I ever had with the software center were usually resolved by finding the official repositories and downloading them directly. Occasionally there are version mismatches in the software center. I don't think I've ever had it happen with Mint though.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
Xavier321

Post by Xavier321 »

Sorry for the slow reply I have been ill but I am back now and willing to pick up again.

Yes I have tried the official install download, this error message from that very download. I have also tried the software centre thingy and it does not work.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Xavier321,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

If you are using a 64-bit computer with a 64-bit version of Linux Mint, then there are some software packages that might require installing the 32-bit libraries to run 32-bit applications. I always install these anyway, just in case.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
AND/OR

sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32stdc++6
Restart your computer and try Steam again...

I just installed Steam for Linux for the very first time in my Linux Mint KDE 18.3 system using the "administrollaattori" instructions with the Ubuntu Xenial (Linux Mint 18.x) Multiverse Repository, and it worked well. I already had the repository installed. I think Steam for Linux is already installed in Linux Mint 19 or can easily be installed from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). I had to create a new Steam Account, do an email verification, etc... but it comes right up and even has its own chat messenger? I never installed Steam before because my ancient under-powered computer does not really have the hardware resources to play good games and other Steam apps. I don't know if it matters, but I filtered the search results for "SteamOS+Linux" on the right-side just scroll down.

Hope this helps ...
Steam_For_Linux1.jpg
Steam_For_Linux2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Xavier321

Post by Xavier321 »

Hi,

Those two commands did not work for me I just get an error message that asks me to press enter and when I do it just cycles around to the error again in some kind of loop.

It is very similar to the original error message with the usual message "you have held broken packages"
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Xavier321,

Anytime you see the message "you have held broken packages", that means you installed something from somewhere that conflicts with something else on your system and it may not be related to what you are currently doing. It can be tedious to fix this or relatively simple:

I recommend going into the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", click on "Broken" packages on the left side, and any broken packages should be displayed on the right side, right-click each package and select Mark for Removal or Mark for Complete Removal (purge), then click Appy button in the toolbar, if there are any messages then write them down or take screenshots, if it wants to remove other packages (write it down or screenshot), and if you are uncertain what to do, say no and ask here, or say yes, and continue, afterward there should be nothing listed in the "Broken" category or at the bottom broken counter. Then you can install other software through the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", console terminal (exit synaptic first), or just exit.

I prefer to use the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" over the Software Manager for installing software because if I try to install something that the system does not like or that would conflict with other installed software it will say so and show up in the broken counter at the bottom which means you should not install this package(s), and I can right-click software and check to see of three are any recommended and or suggested packages that I might also want to install.

Hope this helps ...
SynapticPackageManager_FixBroken2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Xavier321

Post by Xavier321 »

I had a gander and this is what I saw:
Screenshot from 2018-10-17 18-21-09.png
Either I have done it wrong or it appears I have no broken packages. I am starting to wonder if my mint has somehow gone all screwy.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Xavier321,

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
Xavier321

Post by Xavier321 »

Ok here is what I got:

inxi -Fxzd
System:    Host: scott-desktop Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: AB350 Pro4
           Bios: American Megatrends v: P3.00 date: 07/13/2017
CPU:       Hexa core AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 38325
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1550 MHz 2: 1550 MHz 3: 1550 MHz
           4: 1550 MHz 5: 1550 MHz 6: 1550 MHz 7: 1550 MHz 8: 1550 MHz
           9: 1550 MHz 10: 1550 MHz 11: 1550 MHz 12: 1550 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X]
           bus-ID: 0b:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 2560x1440@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.0-38-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1457
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 12:00.3
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7970 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 0b:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Device 24fd driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: wlp6s0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 0a:00.0
           IF: enp10s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (0.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: N/A size: 256.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: SanDisk_SDSSDA12 size: 120.0GB
           ID-3: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB
           Optical: No optical drives detected.
Partition: ID-1: / size: 15G used: 5.8G (43%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3
           ID-2: /home size: 27G used: 2.0G (8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb6
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 2.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 23.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 32.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 310 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 1326.6/16041.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
And:
lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:c225 Logitech, Inc. G11/G15 Keyboard / G keys
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c221 Logitech, Inc. G11/G15 Keyboard / Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c223 Logitech, Inc. G11/G15 Keyboard / USB Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1038:1702 SteelSeries ApS
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Last edited by Moem on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding [code] tags. They retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Xavier321 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 pm Yes I have tried the official install download, this error message from that very download. I have also tried the software centre thingy and it does not work.
Steam installs smoothly on LM18.3 if installed from the Software Manager. The direct download is possibly the reason this went wrong. You need to be careful with binaries you download. Also note that the repository that administrollaattori had you add above already exists in a default LM18.3, all you've done is add a duplicate, which you should remove again via the Software Sources tool (Additional Repositories tab).

First you should consider updating your system, from the looks of your inxi output you never installed any updates.

Then, let's try to get rid of the Steam stuff you installed:

apt autoremove --purge steam-launcher steam
rm -r ~/.steam*
Finally, install the Steam version from the repositories

apt update
apt install steam
If that still generates any errors, please post.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Xavier321,

I do not see anything wrong with the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" console terminal command, so that is a good thing. I do not see any broken packages from your screenshot either.

So, I have no idea why you cannot install "Steam". You can try purging it (remove completely) from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", then try re-installing from there.

As I said before, I just installed the "Steam" gaming system for the first time a few days ago, but it is working well. On the first run, it ran through some updates, and I had to restart it for it to work (typical). I recently installed Linux again and Steam installed perfectly on that too. Even on my ancient underpowered computer I could install from steam and play the free version "Zaccaria Pinball" which worked better than I expected and even created a desktop and menu icon. So far I am impressed, except that it appears I can only play the free game once then I have to purchase it?

If removing and re-installing Steam does not work, the only other thing I can think of is that perhaps you installed something else that is interfering with it. You can try re-installing Linux Mint after backing up anything you want to save, and then re-installing "Steam" again?

Good luck...
Steam_Pinball1.jpg
Xavier321

Post by Xavier321 »

Hi all,

Thanks gm10 for steppign in however you suggestions also did not work and I just get the same error message as before.

Phd21
I looked for steam on the package manager and all it has is 'steam-devices'. So a reinstall it is. Though I will not have the time to try this.

I am a little concerned about ruining my dual boot however it took forever to get it to work, and I do not remember how I did it.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Xavier321 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:12 pm Thanks gm10 for steppign in however you suggestions also did not work and I just get the same error message as before.
If you get dependency problems with the default packages then you probably misconfigured your repositories somehow or installed packages from other sources that conflict. Please post the output of

apt policy libdrm-amdgpu1
Also, as I already said, please consider updating your system. You appear to not have installed a single update to that system, which is not only a security risk, it's also well possible that it's related to the issues you are seeing and that they have been fixed in the meantime, which you will never know if you don't install the fixes.
Xavier321

Post by Xavier321 »

This is the output form the command line:

libdrm-amdgpu1:
Installed: 2.4.76-1~ubuntu16.04.1
Candidate: 2.4.76-1~ubuntu16.04.1
Version table:
*** 2.4.76-1~ubuntu16.04.1 100
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2.4.70-1~ubuntu16.04.1 500
500 http://repo.bigstepcloud.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
2.4.67-1 500
500 http://repo.bigstepcloud.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

I also updated, but the software manager now has "not available" on the steam button.

The weekend is approaching so I will have some time to do a re install soon I hope. Thanks for sticking with me despite only a having a few minutes to do bits and pieces here and there. I appreciate it.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Thanks. The mirror you are using is dead, hasn't been updated in over a year. First thing to do is to go to Mint menu > Software Sources and click the button at the bottom to Restore the default settings. Don't bother letting it update the cache, instead close it, then open Update Manager, click on Refresh there, you'll probably see a ton of updates to install. Install them when you got a moment, that will likely take a while.

Now try to install Steam again. There's a good chance it will work now. Otherwise post the full error message please like you did in the first post.
Xavier321

Post by Xavier321 »

Thanks.

The update was bumpy and failed a few times but I managed to muddle through it, last time I was this clueless I had just got my first PC some years ago and my little kid brain was staring at the black Ms-Dos screen thinking "what the hell do I do now?"..my first every command was "help" I was surprised it did something but did not find it very helpful at the time!

Steam is now up and running (saving me from trying that re install ^^) so I have all my basics sorted leaving me to go off and explore, seems to be quite a few guides link round here these parts so think I will start with them.

I am just curious as to why this would have fixed it, when I first installed Mint it was of course the lastest version an thus up to date and most others appeared to have had their steam up and running fine while mine was not :( Is there some kind of change to the base OS with every update that makes it impossible to install programs if you are not on the latest or something?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Glad to hear that. Don't forget to mark the thread as solved (edit the subject line of the first post).
Xavier321 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:02 pm I am just curious as to why this would have fixed it, when I first installed Mint it was of course the lastest version an thus up to date and most others appeared to have had their steam up and running fine while mine was not :( Is there some kind of change to the base OS with every update that makes it impossible to install programs if you are not on the latest or something?
No, in theory you would be able to install Steam just fine on an unpatched system. But it would need to be able to install some packages that it needs, and to get those the system needs to have a working and up to date repository configured. That was your problem. With that mirror nearly a year and a half out of date it simply didn't have the packages that Steam expected it to have.
Xavier321

Re: [Solved] Trying to install steam.

Post by Xavier321 »

No worries just did it.

Once again thanks to everyone who took the time to give some input helping the newbie out.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [Solved] Trying to install steam.

Post by phd21 »

Hi Xavier321,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

Glad to hear that you have Steam installed and working now. Nice catch "gm10" that Xavier321 was using an older software repository.

It is important to check and or change the Mint software repositories which can easily be done through the Mint Update Manager to make sure that they are current and working. There are times when I go to update or install something, that the software repository "mirrors" are down or being updated and changing them works or just perhaps waiting a hour or so before trying to update or install something again.

Also, certain applications are more like a whole system of applications like 'Steam" with various support packages that need to be installed as well, so it could be that something you installed before conflicted with something Steam needed to install and work properly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”