Outdated linux kernel

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
strayblank
Level 1
Level 1

Outdated linux kernel

Post by strayblank » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 am

Hi guys, I've had Mint 17.3 installed on this laptop for a few years and a couple days ago I ran "uname -r" and it turns out I have kernel 3.13.0-24. How is this possible? I've been updating it regularly.

Also is it OK to install the latest kernel or should I get an older one for compatibility? The laptop is about 5 years old.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Outdated linux kernel

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:19 am

Give a thought to upgrade to 18.3. But in that case fresh i stall needs to be done.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:25 am

Updating doesn't install new kernels. Those appear in the Update Manager under View - Linux Kernels. So yes, you are due for a newer kernel... I would certainly take a look at this thread, as the first post tells you which kernel you should be running and why: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=261343

The nice thing about kernel updates is that they can usually be rolled back easily so the risk involved is very low.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:25 am

On Linux Mint 17.x you install kernel upgrades through View > Linux kernels menu of Update Manager. As part of the fix for Meltdown and Spectre you should also have seen a level 4/5 security update in your main Update Manager window to upgrade your kernel to one with mitigations against Meltdown and Spectre. For this you would have had to install the available update for mintupdate itself but you couldn't have updated anything else till you did that so there's no way to miss that.

See this topic for more information: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=261343

For an older laptop like yours I'd suggest to stay on the 3.13.0 kernel branch and install kernel 3.13.0-142 or newer (a number higher than 142 at the end). You will see in the View > Linux kernels menu that you can also install 4.4.0 kernel branch but that doesn't do much for older hardware and you know for sure kernel branch 3.13.0 works well with your system so stay on that. Both 3.13.0 and 4.4.0 are supported for the remained of the lifetime of Linux Mint 17.x (till April next year).

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:04 am

strayblank wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 am
Hi guys, I've had Mint 17.3 installed on this laptop for a few years and a couple days ago I ran "uname -r" and it turns out I have kernel 3.13.0-24. How is this possible? I've been updating it regularly.
Obviously you have deselected level 5 updates in the preferences of the update manager. Otherwise the current version of kernel 3.13 would have been offered since a long time.

Return to “Newbie Questions”