BIOS Update through Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ZainyMerv

BIOS Update through Linux Mint

Post by ZainyMerv »

Hi everyone

We recently obtained a dinosaur [2005 Dell SFF Desktop with an Optiplex GX620 Motherboard] and have to update the BIOS before we can upgrade the RAM. Currently it's sitting on vs A03.

I briefly went through a few threads on this forum, but all are outdated with links to Dell not working anymore.

We running Mint vs 18.3 Cinnamon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: BIOS Update through Linux Mint

Post by WharfRat »

Hello ZainyMerv Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

You should be able to use FreeDOS on that dinosaur to update the BIOS.

Dell has instructions on how to fo so.

Good luck :wink:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi ZainyMerv,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Dell has very good instructions on updating their Bios in the link provided by member "WharfRat". If the computer is older and has no Bios update feature built-in, then using their instructions for creating a bootable "FreeDOS" CD or DVD disc or USB stick with their bios update file(s) on a separate USB stick formatted as "fat32" is the way to go, and this is easy to do and most importantly it works. I used this "FreeDOS" method myself with a Dell Optiplex 780 USFF, and two IBM Netvistas, and a hardware router. Caution, it is absolutely critical that you have the correct bios update file for your exact computer make and model.

For newer Dell computers and some other computers, there are bios update packages available in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

Another alternative is to download a copy of a bootable rescue utility disk that has a mini version of MS Windows XP like "Hiren's BootCD" and certain versions of Ultimate Boot CD (ubcd4win), etc... and burn that "iso" file to a CD or DVD disc or perhaps a bootable USB stick (although these work great from a CD/DVD disc, I have not been able to get them to run from a USB Stick), and boot to that and its "Mini XP", have the bios update program and bios file on a separate USB stick (formatted as "fat32"), and update it like you would in MS Windows. If you happen to already have a MS Windows partition (ntfs, fat32, etc..) then you can use that instead of a separate USB stick, just copy the bios file(s) there.

Download Hiren's BootCD 15.2
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ZainyMerv

Post by ZainyMerv »

Thanks to all for the advice :D

I also did read up on one of the Dell forums posted by a Dell employee that it is wise to update to a "middle" version first [ie A06] before making the A11 install. Something to do with the platform, or something....

Leme see how far I get LoL
ZainyMerv

Post by ZainyMerv »

WharfRat wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:40 am Hello ZainyMerv Image

Many thanks for the input WharfRat

However, when booting into F12 that option to flash BIOS is not there :(

*Boot into SATA drive
*Boot into CD/DVD Rom
*Boot into USB

Then other stuff like boot into system, etc.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

ZainyMerv wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:30 am ....However, when booting into F12 that option to flash BIOS is not there :(
You didn't scroll down far enough on that support page. You'd only see that option on a 2015 system or newer with UEFI bios.
Go back to the page that WharfRat linked for you, and scroll down to the section titled

3. Creating a USB Bootable Storage Device Using FreeDOS (Legacy Systems)

Follow those instructions, and you should have no trouble getting your BIOS updated. :)
ZainyMerv

Post by ZainyMerv »

phd21 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:37 pm Hi ZainyMerv,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Dell has very good instructions on updating their Bios in the link provided by member "WharfRat". If the computer is older and has no Bios update feature built-in, then using their instructions for creating a bootable "FreeDOS" CD or DVD disc or USB stick with their bios update file(s) on a separate USB stick formatted as "fat32" is the way to go, and this is easy to do and most importantly it works. I used this "FreeDOS" method myself with a Dell Optiplex 780 USFF, and two IBM Netvistas, and a hardware router. Caution, it is absolutely critical that you have the correct bios update file for your exact computer make and model.

For newer Dell computers and some other computers, there are bios update packages available in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

Another alternative is to download a copy of a bootable rescue utility disk that has a mini version of MS Windows XP like "Hiren's BootCD" and certain versions of Ultimate Boot CD (ubcd4win), etc... and burn that "iso" file to a CD or DVD disc or perhaps a bootable USB stick (although these work great from a CD/DVD disc, I have not been able to get them to run from a USB Stick), and boot to that and its "Mini XP", have the bios update program and bios file on a separate USB stick (formatted as "fat32"), and update it like you would in MS Windows. If you happen to already have a MS Windows partition (ntfs, fat32, etc..) then you can use that instead of a separate USB stick, just copy the bios file(s) there.

Download Hiren's BootCD 15.2
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Hope this helps ...
Busy pulling my hair out here LoL

Yes I've made sure I downloaded the correct update from Dell's website using the model motherboard [OptiPlex GX620 SFF] as described in System Info in the BIOS

Did the download of Hiren's BootCD and burned it to DVD

Problem now is on boot-up from F12 and I select CD/DVD I get error "Device Unavailable", even though it pops up on the main screen when I insert the burned DVD. Even flipping through the downloaded burned files is flawless, and inserting a movie DVD has no problem playing at all either.

And you were correct that it didn't want to boot up from the FAT32 formatted USB stick that has the BIOS update in .exe format on it. Same error as with with the CD/DVD Rom.

In BIOS itself it's selected as "ON" and it even gives the CD/DVD Rom's serial nr, etc.

From Menu>Disk I even tried to change the mount options from auto to manual and back without success.

Can the BIOS itself maybe bugged/corrupted?

Everything works fine although the computer is super sloooow because it only has one stick of 2GB DDR2 556MHz RAM in it.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

Ok, so you stated that you're running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. You also stated that one of the F12 boot options indicated that you *can* boot to a USB device. So that means that you should be able to create a FreeDOS USB stick that will enable you to update *both* versions of your intended BIOS updates.

Allow me to try & simplify this another way for you - - you can do all the prep work in Cinnamon:
  • Go to http://www.freedos.org/download/ in your browser.
  • Download the CD ROM "Legacy" Installer. (I know there are USB installers listed, but trust me... you want the CD version for this!)
  • Once it's downloaded, plug your USB stick into your Cinnamon installation.
  • From your "Menu" button, find & open the "USB Image Writer".
  • Select the FreeDOS ISO you downloaded in step 2 as the "Write Image", and point the "to" field to your USB stick.
  • Press "Write". You will be prompted to enter your admin password to confirm.
  • Once the writing completes, use your file manager to open the mounted USB stick.
  • Create a directory (folder) named "bios"
  • Copy your bios update file(s) into this folder
Now you can reboot your computer, choosing the USB stick as your boot device.
It should boot into FreeDOS. Once there, you can type cd bios, and it should take you into the bios folder with your update file(s).

You should now be able to update your BIOs directly by running the program downloaded from the Dell site.
EDIT: Be sure that the Bios update program follows the DOS 8.3 naming convention! If it doesn't, you may want to consider renaming it...

If you have more than 1 update to make, you can create separate folders to contain multiple bios updates - - eg. "bios1", "bios2", etc. That way you can simply reboot back into the USB stick to perform back-to-back updates, if you so choose. :)
ZainyMerv

Post by ZainyMerv »

ralplpcr wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:32 am Ok, so you stated that you're running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. You also stated that one of the F12 boot options indicated that you *can* boot to a USB device. So that means that you should be able to create a FreeDOS USB stick that will enable you to update *both* versions of your intended BIOS updates.

Allow me to try & simplify this another way for you - - you can do all the prep work in Cinnamon:
  • Go to http://www.freedos.org/download/ in your browser.
  • Download the CD ROM "Legacy" Installer. (I know there are USB installers listed, but trust me... you want the CD version for this!)
  • Once it's downloaded, plug your USB stick into your Cinnamon installation.
  • From your "Menu" button, find & open the "USB Image Writer".
  • Select the FreeDOS ISO you downloaded in step 2 as the "Write Image", and point the "to" field to your USB stick.
  • Press "Write". You will be prompted to enter your admin password to confirm.
  • Once the writing completes, use your file manager to open the mounted USB stick.
  • Create a directory (folder) named "bios"
  • Copy your bios update file(s) into this folder
Now you can reboot your computer, choosing the USB stick as your boot device.
It should boot into FreeDOS. Once there, you can type cd bios, and it should take you into the bios folder with your update file(s).

You should now be able to update your BIOs directly by running the program downloaded from the Dell site.
EDIT: Be sure that the Bios update program follows the DOS 8.3 naming convention! If it doesn't, you may want to consider renaming it...

If you have more than 1 update to make, you can create separate folders to contain multiple bios updates - - eg. "bios1", "bios2", etc. That way you can simply reboot back into the USB stick to perform back-to-back updates, if you so choose. :)
Firstly, thanks a lot for the help, and to everyone else here so far :D

I started by formatting the [8GB] stick through MENU>USB STICK FORMATTER to FAT32.

But, what do you mean with using my 'file manager' to open the mounted USB stick? [point#6]

I followed your method to the letter, but when I right click on the USB image [now labelled as FDI-CD] on the desktop after point#5 it gives no option to open with any other program.

When I double click the USB image it opens and shows the files from the Legacy CD download, but I can't add another folder/file as that option is greyed out.

And when trying to copy the BIOS update files from Dell I get an error saying destination is "read only".

Also, what does the sentence in your EDIT line mean?
ZainyMerv

Post by ZainyMerv »

WharfRat wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:40 am Hello ZainyMerv Image

Thanks WharfRat

But I hit a snag when booting into F12

The window only shows "DEFAULT" and underneath to hit the Tab button for other options, which then gives like a file path, or something, and the 10sec reboot thing which is in a loop as no rebooting occurs.
ZainyMerv

Post by ZainyMerv »

ralplpcr wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:53 am
ZainyMerv wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:30 am ....However, when booting into F12 that option to flash BIOS is not there :(
You didn't scroll down far enough on that support page. You'd only see that option on a 2015 system or newer with UEFI bios.
Go back to the page that WharfRat linked for you, and scroll down to the section titled

3. Creating a USB Bootable Storage Device Using FreeDOS (Legacy Systems)

Follow those instructions, and you should have no trouble getting your BIOS updated. :)
Sorry, my bad :oops:
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

ZainyMerv wrote:I started by formatting the [8GB] stick through MENU>USB STICK FORMATTER to FAT32.
This is ok, but not necessary if you'd followed my instruction to use the MENU> USB IMAGE WRITER - it would automatically format the USB to the necessary type.
ZainyMerv wrote: But, what do you mean with using my 'file manager' to open the mounted USB stick? [point#6]
Your 'file manager' in Cinnamon would be Nemo. You would click on the 'Files' entry from your Menu button to open. Then, using the left navigation panel, click to open the mounted USB stick. It would probably be labelled "FreeDOS" or FDI-CD under "Devices".
ZainyMerv wrote: I followed your method to the letter, but when I right click on the USB image [now labelled as FDI-CD] on the desktop after point#5 it gives no option to open with any other program.
See above.
ZainyMerv wrote: When I double click the USB image it opens and shows the files from the Legacy CD download, but I can't add another folder/file as that option is greyed out.

And when trying to copy the BIOS update files from Dell I get an error saying destination is "read only".
Are you clicking on the ISO file? Or opening the USB stick? If it's the USB stick, then it's likely a permissions error that can easily be fixed: post the results ofsudo blkid back here, and we can give you the exact CHOWN command to do so. :)
ZainyMerv wrote: Also, what does the sentence in your EDIT line mean?
The DOS 8.3 naming convention means that under "true" DOS, all filenames may contain only 8 characters in the filename with a 3 character extension. nnnnnnnn.eee With more recent 32-bit DOS versions, longer file names were permitted, but they'd have been stored using a truncation - - a file named "Programs and Data.exe" would be truncated to "PROGRA~1.exe", for example. I was simply suggesting that if your bios update program was named something with more than 8 characters that you rename it so it'd be easier to find in the limited DOS environment.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

It looks like I owe you an apology, ZainyMerv - - it seems that the format of the FreeDOS downloads have changed since I last downloaded my ISO file. They now create an installer, rather than a bootable image. :cry:

But that is ok - - there are other ways this can be done!

Instead of downloading from freedos.org, try downloading the following ZIP file: http://downloads.joelinoff.com/fdos11.zip
Extract it by right-clicking the downloaded fdos11.zip file and choosing "Extract Here".
Now open your "USB Image Writer" program, but this time select the fdos11.img file as the "Write image". (Still use your USB stick as the "to" field)
Once it completes the write, you'll need to use the terminal to set permissions & create your BIOS directory.

Assuming your username is "zainymerv":

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R zainymerv:zainymerv /media/zainymerv/FREEDOS2012
Then you'd need to create your directories & copy your files:

Code: Select all

mkdir /media/zainymerv/FREEDOS2012/bios
cp /home/zainymerv/Downloads/<whatever your bios file is named> /media/zainymerv/FREEDOS2012/bios
I just tried these exact steps on my system, and it did work.... so hopefully you can replicate the same?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi ZainyMerv,

I have been following your post and the good replies to it. Here are more of my thoughts on this.

FreeDOS | The FreeDOS Project - downloads
http://www.freedos.org/download/

Direct links to downloading either the Standard or Legacy iso versions of FreeDOS are below. No need to download an archive file or extract it, although that method works too. Just burn one of the iso files to a CD or DVD disc (using "K3b" or "xfburn") or create a bootable USB stick using any USB stick application (Mint Image Writer, unetbootin, Etcher, etc...) and boot to that. I used the Standard FreeDOS v1.2 as an "FD12CD.iso" file to update the Bios on my computers, but depending upon the computer or device, you may need to use the FreeDOS "legacy" version.

And, as I stated before I had to copy the bios files to a separate USB stick pre-formatted as "fat32" using the "Mint USB Stick Formatter" because you cannot add anything to a bootable CD/DVD or USB stick created from an ISO file (during the formatting process change "label" to "freedos", something other than "USB STICK"). After booting to the FreeDOS, I just used a DOS command to switch to the other USB stick drive to run the Bios update(s), which is "B:" enter, or "c:" enter, or "d:" enter, etc.. (no quotes), then I ran a "dir" command to list the files on that drive to make sure that the drive contained the Bios file(s), then you simply run the Bios update program "something.exe". IF you have more than one Bios update, start with the older one first, reboot, then run it again with the newer ones.

Standard FreeDOS v1.2 as an "FD12CD.iso" file
http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12CD.iso

Legacy FreeDOS v1.2 as an "FD12LGCY.iso" file
http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12LGCY.iso

As I already stated before, you could also use the "MiniXP" from the Hiren's BootCD to run the MS Windows or DOS Bios update programs as long as the BIos files are on another USB stick pre-formatted with the "fat32" file system. Assuming you can boot to that and bring up the MiniXP.

Hope this helps ...
FReeDOS_std_iso_file.jpg
FReeDOS_Legacy_iso_file.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ZainyMerv

Post by ZainyMerv »

ralplpcr wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:55 am
ZainyMerv wrote:I started by formatting the [8GB] stick through MENU>USB STICK FORMATTER to FAT32.
This is ok, but not necessary if you'd followed my instruction to use the MENU> USB IMAGE WRITER - it would automatically format the USB to the necessary type.
ZainyMerv wrote: But, what do you mean with using my 'file manager' to open the mounted USB stick? [point#6]
Your 'file manager' in Cinnamon would be Nemo. You would click on the 'Files' entry from your Menu button to open. Then, using the left navigation panel, click to open the mounted USB stick. It would probably be labelled "FreeDOS" or FDI-CD under "Devices".
ZainyMerv wrote: I followed your method to the letter, but when I right click on the USB image [now labelled as FDI-CD] on the desktop after point#5 it gives no option to open with any other program.
See above.
ZainyMerv wrote: When I double click the USB image it opens and shows the files from the Legacy CD download, but I can't add another folder/file as that option is greyed out.

Are you clicking on the ISO file? Or opening the USB stick? If it's the USB stick, then it's likely a permissions error that can easily be fixed: post the results ofsudo blkid back here, and we can give you the exact CHOWN command to do so. :)
ZainyMerv wrote: Also, what does the sentence in your EDIT line mean?
The DOS 8.3 naming convention means that under "true" DOS, all filenames may contain only 8 characters in the filename with a 3 character extension. nnnnnnnn.eee With more recent 32-bit DOS versions, longer file names were permitted, but they'd have been stored using a truncation - - a file named "Programs and Data.exe" would be truncated to "PROGRA~1.exe", for example. I was simply suggesting that if your bios update program was named something with more than 8 characters that you rename it so it'd be easier to find in the limited DOS environment.
I followed your advice and clicked on the ISO file, which then has the same effect: right clicking and creating a new file/folder still greyed out.

The command line you gave spewed out the following:

/dev/sda1: UUID="a22f18f1-8fc2-4ecd-8aab-338b977cee9c" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="f5033708-01"
/dev/sda5: UUID="331acc72-55c7-47ee-b551-8f5beafcea98" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="f5033708-05"
/dev/sdb1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="FREEDOS2012" UUID="312F-19F4" TYPE="vfat"

I like this terminal stuff. Reminds me of Eliot in the TV series Mr Robot haha
ZainyMerv

Post by ZainyMerv »

phd21 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:47 pm Hi ZainyMerv,

I have been following your post and the good replies to it. Here are more of my thoughts on this.

FreeDOS | The FreeDOS Project - downloads
http://www.freedos.org/download/

Direct links to downloading either the Standard or Legacy iso versions of FreeDOS are below. No need to download an archive file or extract it, although that method works too. Just burn one of the iso files to a CD or DVD disc (using "K3b" or "xfburn") or create a bootable USB stick using any USB stick application (Mint Image Writer, unetbootin, Etcher, etc...) and boot to that. I used the Standard FreeDOS v1.2 as an "FD12CD.iso" file to update the Bios on my computers, but depending upon the computer or device, you may need to use the FreeDOS "legacy" version.

And, as I stated before I had to copy the bios files to a separate USB stick pre-formatted as "fat32" using the "Mint USB Stick Formatter" because you cannot add anything to a bootable CD/DVD or USB stick created from an ISO file (during the formatting process change "label" to "freedos", something other than "USB STICK"). After booting to the FreeDOS, I just used a DOS command to switch to the other USB stick drive to run the Bios update(s), which is "B:" enter, or "c:" enter, or "d:" enter, etc.. (no quotes), then I ran a "dir" command to list the files on that drive to make sure that the drive contained the Bios file(s), then you simply run the Bios update program "something.exe". IF you have more than one Bios update, start with the older one first, reboot, then run it again with the newer ones.

Standard FreeDOS v1.2 as an "FD12CD.iso" file
http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12CD.iso

Legacy FreeDOS v1.2 as an "FD12LGCY.iso" file
http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12LGCY.iso

As I already stated before, you could also use the "MiniXP" from the Hiren's BootCD to run the MS Windows or DOS Bios update programs as long as the BIos files are on another USB stick pre-formatted with the "fat32" file system. Assuming you can boot to that and bring up the MiniXP.

Hope this helps ...

FReeDOS_std_iso_file.jpg

FReeDOS_Legacy_iso_file.jpg
Thanks so much!

But I notice another snag before I continue with your method ...

None of any drives on this machine, unlike Mac or Windows, are labelled ":a" ":b" or :"c". So when I'm going to follow through with your method how will I know which is which? Especially with the master boot drive [the HDD] giving only the HDD's name, serial number, etc. Right clicking on the device to rename it or edit file path is no option as that's greyed out. Shall I give both USB sticks it's unique name, ie. "ISO_FILE" and "BIOS_UPDATE"?

And according to someone else's remark on this post I must use the "Legacy" file, but I'll try both
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi ZainyMerv,
ZainyMerv wrote:Thanks so much! But I notice another snag before I continue with your method ...

None of any drives on this machine, unlike Mac or Windows, are labelled ":a" ":b" or :"c". So when I'm going to follow through with your method how will I know which is which? Especially with the master boot drive [the HDD] giving only the HDD's name, serial number, etc. Right clicking on the device to rename it or edit file path is no option as that's greyed out. Shall I give both USB sticks it's unique name, ie. "ISO_FILE" and "BIOS_UPDATE"? And according to someone else's remark on this post I must use the "Legacy" file, but I'll try both
When formatting the USB sticks, the drive labels you showed would work fine. In DOS the labels are limited to 8 characters, so for the second one use just "bios"

MS Windows or DOS drives are designated like the alphabet and in that order A,B,C,D,E, etc... and it is followed by a right angle bracket (or in math it is the greater than symbol) like "C>". To switch drives you use the drive letter and a colon, like "c:" hit enter.

Only one of the USB sticks will have an operating system on it, so when you boot up, it will become A: or C: drive. But, in order to run the Bios update(s) which are on the other USB stick, you will have to switch to that drive which is done in DOS, by typing in the Drive Letter and Colon, and hitting enter (C: Enter). Different computers will assign a drive letter to the second USB stick, what that will be in your case I do not know. It could be B:, C:, D:, E:, so you have to try them and using the "dir" command will list what is on the drive and you are looking for your bios files.

FYI: There is also a Linux application called "dosemu" that can be installed from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", but I do not know if that can or should be used for Bios updates. I have used it to run other DOS applications before and it worked well for those. You would copy the bios file(s) into the hidden folder "/.dosemu/drive_c/", and when you start the "dosemu" application it will automatically be in "C>" drive, type dir to list the files, and you run the bios update exe.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi ZainyMerv,

It has been a while since I had to "flash" the Bios (update the bios).

I am not sure if the "freeDOS" v12 is a different version of freeDOS than the one I used before.

I burned the freeDOS legacy iso "FD12LGCY.iso" to a CD using "K3b". I put the Bios updates on a USB stick pre-formatted as "Fat32", and booted to the FreeDOS Legacy CD and it booted right up to the FreeDOS menu asking to install FreeDOS or exit to the DOS prompt. Select Exit to the DOS prompt, and if you accidentally clicked the install option just say no, and you will be at the FreeDOS DOS prompt which is "A>" drive. My USB stick with the Bios updates showed up as "C>" drive, so I just typed in "c:" enter, and then did a "dir" to list the files on the drive, and ran the Bios update exe program, and it came right up and worked fine. FYI: My Dell Bios update exe program file (O780-A15.exe) started with the letter "O" not zero "∅", but did have a zero afterward in the exe program name; I was getting bad command or file name until I realized this.

FYI: I could not get this freeDOS v12 standard version to work on either the CD or USB stick on my ancient Dell Optiplex 780??? I could not get this freeDOS legacy to work from a USB stick on my computer either.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

phd21 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:35 pm FYI: I could not get this freeDOS v12 standard version to work on either the CD or USB stick on my ancient Dell Optiplex 780??? I could not get this freeDOS legacy to work from a USB stick on my computer either.
Re-build FreeDos.iso using Isomaster, adding the files you want (like bios-update). For getting iso bootable, use iso's boot-image.
rebuild-freedos.jpg
Edit. It seems that ISOmaster cannot make bootable iso from FreeDos, so the bootable iso must make using K3b. With K3b -> new data project -> Edit bootimage -> select Bootable_1.44M.img (extract image first).
custom bootable freedos.jpg
freedos+win31.jpg
Last edited by kukamuumuka on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I would only do this as a last result. In my opinion, it's better to stick with the official tools: the BIOS itself and an official image, strictly from the official website. The BIOS itself should have some sort of flashing utility, and if it doesn't (which sucks) then I'd go the OS route. Totally up to you of course. Whichever way you go, good luck!
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Beginner Questions”