Help with New Install from Win 7 MS Office et al

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamesoreilly

Help with New Install from Win 7 MS Office et al

Post by jamesoreilly »

Trying to dump MS here . . . I'm confused as to what all programs I'll need.

I've downloaded the linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso and have a formatted 500 gb HDD to install it on.

I think I'd be better off buying the DVDs instead of using the iso file since I'm really stupid about computer stuff.

Which DVDs do I need? I want to replace my MS Outlook, MS Office, along with Win 7.

After I install Mint I am going to need additional programs, correct?

And then I was reading about drivers and such . . . I'll need to install those also?

I guess what I'm asking for is a list of everything I'll need to get my system complete up and running.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Help with New Install from Win 7 MS Office et al

Post by WharfRat »

Hello sleepyski Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

You can use rufus to create the bootable media from the iso file.

You might not need additional applications, but they are installed from the package manager - no downloading of applications are necessary.

Your hardware will be detected during installation and the necessary drivers will be setup.

Good luck :wink:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Linux Mint comes as a complete system, and right out of the box it has a lot of useful software: a browser, a mail client, an office suite, image viewer, media player... I suggest trying the existing software first and then deciding whether you need anything more.
As for drivers, the same thing applies. Most drivers are built into the Linux kernel and in many cases nothing else needs to be installed.

If you do need additional software, you can install a whole lot of different applications from the Software Manager in just one click. This isn't Windows, there is no need to hunt for software all over the web! 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jamesoreilly

Post by jamesoreilly »

Thanks!
I'm going to try to do this right now!
Rufus is formatting my 32 GB stick now . . .
Thanks again!
jamesoreilly

Post by jamesoreilly »

Oh, forgot to ask . . . should I let Rufus format my 32GB stick in FAT or NFTS?

It's formatting it in FAT now . . .
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Leave it set to fat32
jamesoreilly

Post by jamesoreilly »

Rufus just finished checking 32GB for bad blocks . . .

Do I want to select in format options: Quick Format, Create a bootable Disk using Free DOS, and create extended label and icon files?

Thanks!
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Follow this
jamesoreilly

Post by jamesoreilly »

Okay, got everything done, used Rufus on my 32GB stick, installed the MINT ISO, formatted my internal 500GB HDD and now am ready to install Mint.

One question before I start: I have three hard drives on my computer, should I disconnect the other two existing before I install
Mint to the newly formatted 500GB HDD? Or just leave computer as it is?

I sure hope MINT will stop all my MS Blue Screens . . . .

Thanks for all the help!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

jamesoreilly wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 am I have three hard drives on my computer, should I disconnect the other two existing before I install
Mint to the newly formatted 500GB HDD?
That is the safer option, so I vote yes. That way, there is no chance you will accidentally install Mint to the wrong drive and overwrite data you wish to keep.
jamesoreilly wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 am I sure hope MINT will stop all my MS Blue Screens . . . .
I can guarantee that it will. There are no MS blue screens on Linux. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jamesoreilly

Post by jamesoreilly »

Uh, one last question (hopefully) before I start . . .

I live out in the country, no high speed, etc. so I have to use a Verizon USB 760 modem which
installs the software when you plug it in.

Is this going to work okay with MINT? Will I be able to get online to finish the setup?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You will be able to see whether it works when you are running the 'live' version of Mint from your USB stick.

jamesoreilly

Post by jamesoreilly »

So when I have the USB stick plugged in and start the computer MINT will be running before it installs on the empty HDD?

Then I plug the modem in and it will install drivers on the MINT system on the stick?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

jamesoreilly wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 am So when I have the USB stick plugged in and start the computer MINT will be running before it installs on the empty HDD?
That's exactly right. That way, you can try it out and see whether everything works. No changes will be made to your computer until you click on the Install icon.
jamesoreilly wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 am Then I plug the modem in and it will install drivers on the MINT system on the stick?
I doubt that it will install drivers, because the drivers that it has on board will most likely be for Windows. But it may not need any. Many drivers are already built into the kernel of Mint.

jamesoreilly

Post by jamesoreilly »

Thanks! I've got to go out now so I'll get back on this later today. Will keep you posted!

Thanks all you guys for your help . .. I sure hope this will work
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

If it doesn't work, here is a link on the same device. Someone got it to work on Ubuntu, which is good news! https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1002262
If the instructions given there are needed, I'm sure someone here will be able to guide you through applying them. Good luck!

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

jamesoreilly wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:02 am Uh, one last question (hopefully) before I start . . .

I live out in the country, no high speed, etc. so I have to use a Verizon USB 760 modem which

Is this going to work okay with MINT? Will I be able to get online to finish the setup?
Most likely, that is NOT going to work. I have a Verizon Broadband USB modem and it requires an app known as VZAccess in order to initialize and connect, and that runs ONLY in Windows.

But this is an old piece of hardware and maybe, if yours is new hardware, it will work better in Linux.
jamesoreilly

Post by jamesoreilly »

Mark Phelps wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:03 am
jamesoreilly wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:02 am Uh, one last question (hopefully) before I start . . .

Most likely, that is NOT going to work. I have a Verizon Broadband USB modem and it requires an app known as VZAccess in order to initialize and connect, and that runs ONLY in Windows.

But this is an old piece of hardware and maybe, if yours is new hardware, it will work better in Linux.
Mine has the drivers and setup in the modem itself which installs when you plug it in.

It does not need the old style VZAccess install Cd to use it.

Think it'll work?
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

The drivers/software that autorun when it is plugged in are almost certainly designed for Windows. I wouldn't count on them working. You're certainly welcome to try, though?

I think your best shot will be to follow the instructions on the link provided by Moem above. :) It requires some terminal entries & editing of a few text files, but doesn't seem too difficult?

Return to “Beginner Questions”