[SOLVED] How to make changes?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
see3ducks
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] How to make changes?

Post by see3ducks »

How do I change the computer name & password on 17.3 XFCE without doing a total reinstall? (or the basic setup)
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The value of your knowledge is determined by your ability and willingness to share it with others.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to make changes?

Post by Termy »

The computer (host) name is stored in /etc/hostname (make the change wherever is also applicable, such as in /etc/hosts), but there are some graphical interfaces which allow you to change this, but for the life of me, I cannot remember where they are. I would avoid editing those files if you can help it though. Which Mint version and desktop environment did you choose? The password you can change with the passwd command in a terminal, or via, again, one of the GUIs which I can't recall. :roll: Check the system settings for something along the lines of "user control".
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
see3ducks
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to make changes?

Post by see3ducks »

Termy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:50 pm The computer (host) name is stored in /etc/hostname (make the change wherever is also applicable, such as in /etc/hosts), but there are some graphical interfaces which allow you to change this, but for the life of me, I cannot remember where they are. I would avoid editing those files if you can help it though. Which Mint version and desktop environment did you choose? The password you can change with the passwd command in a terminal, or via, again, one of the GUIs which I can't recall. :roll: Check the system settings for something along the lines of "user control".

Thank you....Mint 17.3 XFCE 64bit
The value of your knowledge is determined by your ability and willingness to share it with others.

Return to “Beginner Questions”