Linux NOT safe ! Webpage did mount external disk

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vilsen
Level 5
Level 5

Linux NOT safe ! Webpage did mount external disk

Post by Vilsen »

I am of course very new to LINUX mint ( 17.3 MATE) but I am sure it is far better then both WIN and MAC concerning
safety and stuff. I did just for fun do an edit of a wordpress-blog where I changed a photo and when I pointed at a harddrive that
is NOT MOUNTED unless I wish the webbrowser/wordpress-blog-system DID MOUNT MY HARDDRIVE !

How is that possible ? That means any website can acces my unmountet drives and do whatever is possible !!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux NOT safe ! Webpage did mount external disk

Post by Moem »

... You pointed to the drive. That means you asked it to mount the drive. The drive was mounted. What am I missing here?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

Vilsen wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:06 am I am of course very new to LINUX mint
Then why create a title that screams
Linux NOT safe !
I'm seeing this thing more and more often.
sigh...
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Vilsen wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:06 amI am of course very new to LINUX
Not to be mean - well, maybe a little bit - in that case you should be asking questions about linux rather than making statements.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Vilsen wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:06 am I am of course very new to LINUX mint ( 17.3 MATE) but I am sure it is far better then both WIN and MAC concerning
safety and stuff. I did just for fun do an edit of a wordpress-blog where I changed a photo and when I pointed at a harddrive that
is NOT MOUNTED unless I wish the webbrowser/wordpress-blog-system DID MOUNT MY HARDDRIVE !

How is that possible ? That means any website can acces my unmountet drives and do whatever is possible !!!
Did you do it from the same computer? If you accessed the webpage from the computer the drive is attached to, yup...gonna mount it.

Give us the link and let's see if WE can mount it! :wink:

Let me explain why it probably did this: you had the location cached in your browser, so when you accessed the webpage it used the location that was cached and accessed the drive.

Try it again, clearing your cache and restarting the browser and see if it mounts. If it does we won't make you change the title of your first post.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Simply check:
1. Before going to the webpage

Code: Select all

mount | grep sd
2. After going to the webpage

Code: Select all

mount | grep sd
PS. If you have uploaded something, xdg-open opens filemanager for that uploading. :wink:
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Moem wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:10 am ... You pointed to the drive. That means you asked it to mount the drive. The drive was mounted. What am I missing here?
no password required.

insecure by default. it is what "the people" want so Mint/Ubuntu complies and removes the basic safeguards
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

sdibaja wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:06 pm no password required.

insecure by default. it is what "the people" want so Mint/Ubuntu complies and removes the basic safeguards
If we were dealing with servers I would agree. But Mint is really geared towards the desktop. I think it's quite fine if Mint allows external drives without a password. Imagine the aggravation if you had to type your password every time you plugged in a usb stick!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I believe that the OP was referring to a internal drive...
That is Insecure
Peter
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sdibaja wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:25 pm I believe that the OP was referring to a internal drive...
That is Insecure
But the OP still hasn't responded with the set of circumstances that mounted the drive. Was it mounted? Did he clear the cache and try again? Can he duplicate it from another computer?

You guys are sure jumping to contusions...

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

You are right. He did say "...when I pointed at a harddrive that is NOT MOUNTED..." so I assumed, my bad
Peter
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sdibaja wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:48 pm You are right. He did say "...when I pointed at a harddrive that is NOT MOUNTED..." so I assumed, my bad
Well, I wish he'd reply with a controlled test. If he just set it up and accesses something he'd already accessed, then it was cached in his browser, and since he was the user, it would mount. If he did it from another computer, or cleared his cache and then tried it then we'd have a bit more to go on.

And it would have to be a computer that's connecting through the internet, and not through a home network, or it will render the same results.

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I see this on my motorcycle forum that I moderate.

a newbie comes on and screams that "blankety blank" is unsafe, or has a dire problem that is going to kill everyone who own 'xyz' motorcycle......

14 people come on asking for more info, and that is the last time the newbie ever posts.

I monitor those, and delete the thread after a while.

If their post count never exceeds '1', they are a TROLL
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Of course linux is insecure they allow ANYONE to install it. After that it gets progressively harder. :)
From my (limited) experience, I find Linux extremely stable and a trifle too secure (As a newbie) in some areas.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:12 am I see this on my motorcycle forum that I moderate.

a newbie comes on and screams that "blankety blank" is unsafe, or has a dire problem that is going to kill everyone who own 'xyz' motorcycle......

14 people come on asking for more info, and that is the last time the newbie ever posts.

I monitor those, and delete the thread after a while.

If their post count never exceeds '1', they are a TROLL
Happens all over the place. In this case probably just some person that had a bad experience and wanted to give Mint a hotfoot.

Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I'm also entirely skeptical here, and would like to see some real information which we can actually use. :?
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

perhaps the OP has read all of the above and does not want to get bashed even more for expressing his opinions
Peter
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:10 pm perhaps the OP has read all of the above and does not want to get bashed even more for expressing his opinions
Well, I offered some testing that would tell us more of what was going on and got no response. I certainly wasn't nasty of condescending about it. in fact, I really would like to see the results of the tests I suggested.

Also, if you look through some of the OP;s other posts, it appears he wasn't really happy with Linux in general. I would certainly do my (limited) best to help the OP with this issue, as would others, I'm sure.

YetiD

Post by YetiD »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 pm
Yes, getting hit on the head with a laptop loaded with Linux, or beating your head on the keyboard, can lead to contusions. More evidence that it is unsafe :!: :?:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

YetiD wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:17 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 pm
Yes, getting hit on the head with a laptop loaded with Linux, or beating your head on the keyboard, can lead to contusions. More evidence that it is unsafe :!: :?:
:lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”