what is the username and password of login?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Salamanca
Level 1
Level 1

what is the username and password of login?

Post by Salamanca » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:04 pm

I'm new to the Linux world. Intale Linux mint 18.3 in a virtual machine and when starting the OS I am asked for a username and password to enter. Who can tell me what they are or what I have to do?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: what is the username and password of login?

Post by jimallyn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:24 pm

When you are running Mint "live", that is, not actually installed on the drive, the user name is "mint" and the password is empty - just press enter. You will only be asked for the user name and password if you leave the live version running long enough for it to go to sleep. When you actually do the install, you will be asked what username and password you would like to use.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: what is the username and password of login?

Post by WharfRat » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:27 pm

If you installed Mint then you were prompted for a username and password as part of the installation setup.

Also they are questions you cannot skip-over.
ImageImage

Return to “Newbie Questions”