Change the Default location for Screenshot to save to [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Change the Default location for Screenshot to save to [Solved]

Post by AZgl1800 »

Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

I try to remember to change it to Desktop, but I am constantly missing that....

This needs to be changed to "Desktop" so that I can look at the screenshots, rename them, and then save them to an appropriate folder, or just trash them....

I am constantly taking screenshots all day long, this is not just an idle whim....

Anyone?
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Sir Charles

Re: Change the Default location for Screenshot to save to

Post by Sir Charles »

Under Xfce, I use xfce4-screenshooter (the default app) to take screenshots and it does remember the last chosen folder to save to for the consequent shots as well. Could be different under other DE:s.

Edit: I just ran a test with Cinnamon's default screenshot application. I chose Desktop folder to save my first shot in. It was chosen automatically for the consequent shots as well.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

FYI - "ksnip" really nice screen capture app with Imgur upload and built-in painter functions - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=260112

Hope this helps ...
ksnip1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

What are you using to take a screen capture? I use Shutter, and in the Preferences I set the default location to /screencaps.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:12 am What are you using to take a screen capture? I use Shutter, and in the Preferences I set the default location to /screencaps.
I have tried Shutter and that app drives me insane.

I am using either the 'Screenshot' from the Mint 18.3 menu, or PrintScreen key....
I want them both to default to Desktop.

'ksnip', not familiar with that one, will look at it.

I really like the 'Screenshot' from the Menu as it has a "Select Area to grab" available.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

phd21 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 pm Hi AZgl1500,

FYI - "ksnip" really nice screen capture app with Imgur upload and built-in painter functions - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=260112

Hope this helps ...

ksnip1.jpg
With 18.3 Cinnamon, ksnip does not appear in either Software Manager or Snaptic. a search makes me think it is KDE only
https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip

4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

"Ksnip" will work on all editions of Linux Mint. I have tested it on Cinnamon 18.x, KDE 18.x and 17.x. In fact, my video on Ksnip was created using Cinnamon 18.3. The AppImages work on older Linux Mint 17.x systems as well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

phd21 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:59 am Hi AZgl1500,

"Ksnip" will work on all editions of Linux Mint. I have tested it on Cinnamon 18.x, KDE 18.x and 17.x. In fact, my video on Ksnip was created using Cinnamon 18.3. The AppImages work on older Linux Mint 17.x systems as well.

Hope this helps ...
Thank you,
I will load it up tomorrow when the daylight shines....
I should be in bed now.... it is 03:30 here and a long day in store tmw.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm
Screenshot "Save As" defaults to Pictures, and that aggravates me no end......
that folder is so full, I can't find the screenshot.....

I try to remember to change it to Desktop, but I am constantly missing that....

This needs to be changed to "Desktop"
I am constantly taking screenshots all day long, this is not just an idle whim....

Anyone?
To quote @phd21 (I like this quote BTW)
I just read your post and the good replies to it....

But I don't understand "I can't find the screenshot...." they are saved as <filename> screenshot *, so no matter how big your picture folder is they should be very easy to find ?
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

rickNS wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:49 pm But I don't understand "I can't find the screenshot...." they are saved as <filename> screenshot *, so no matter how big your picture folder is they should be very easy to find ?
it is a PITA ass to have to click DATE to sort the folder and make the folders all go to the top, then look for the file in the middle of that mess.

Simply making the "save to location", default to Desktop solves all of that. The new Screenshot is in the middle of the screen.

so, throw the comments out the window, either give a result, or ignore the thread.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:35 pm Simply making the "save to location", default to Desktop solves all of that. The new Screenshot is in the middle of the screen.
As Marziano pointed out, the default screenshot utility for LM Cinnamon will let you save screenshots to pretty much anywhere you desire. Press [Print Screen], and when the "Save Screenshot" dialog appears, click Save in folder, and select Desktop from the list.

It remembers the last chosen folder. If you choose Desktop, it will, in effect, become the default until you select a different folder.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

Most print screen screenshot applications will let you choose where to save them as a default or per screenshot (save as).

I take more screenshots than most people while helping others in this forum which in my case also requires minor editing using painter functions for highlighting certain areas of the image, or to shrink (scale) them smaller for uploading to this forum, thus why I recommend "Ksnip".

I created a Screenshots folder and I create new folders underneath that with today's date, and all screenshots for today are saved in that. Although there is a default screenshot image name, I usually change that during the save to try and reflect what the screenshot represents. If I saved them to my desktop folder, they would still be difficult to locate among my application and other icons.

FYI: If you are going to upload images to this forum, image hosting websites, other forums, wherever, etc... and you use the superb "Firejail" sandboxing application for security, then you will not have access to your pictures or screenshots if they are not underneath your "Downloads" folder, like "/Downloads/ScreenShots/" unless you edit Firejail to "whitelist" your Pictures folder; which is why I have my ScreenShots folder underneath my Downloads folder. My file manager (Dolphin) can bookmark that folder for easy access and remember the sort order by date as well.

ScreenShots1.jpg
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I like to save my images to Imgur most of the time,
but this is not the only forum that I provide support on, and I like to have the pictures on the desktop so that I can rename them, and usually crop out part of the image.

The Screenshot from the Menu is a very nice utility, I like that I can select "current window" or grab a particular area..... I just used it again now, and it did default to the last folder "Desktop".

However, PrintScrn always defaults to "Pictures", and that is what I need to change first.
My pictures folder is crammed full of folders and images that aren't sorted into folders where they belong.

It shouldn't be hard to find the app that belongs to "PrintScrn" and edit the file to make it point to Desktop as the default.

I haven't loaded up "ksnip" yet, life got in the way, my car lost its' A/C and that had to be fixed first. Then a long came "Longmire", a TV series I thoroughly enjoy....

Just hoping that someone knows the app that belong to the "printsrn" key, would love to make it default to Desktop.... Ksnip will be loaded tomorrow.
PrintScreen goes to Pictures every time.png
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Enter this command replacing <username> with your username

gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory 'file:///home/<username>/Desktop'

The schema contains two keys - auto-save-directory and last-save-directory. The former applies when using short cut keys to take screenshots, the latter when launching the screenshot application directly from the menu.
Last edited by smurphos on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 am Enter this command replacing <username> with your username

gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory 'file:///home/<username>/Desktop'

The schema contains two keys - auto-save-directory and last-save-directory. The former applies when using short cut keys to take screenshots, the latter when launching the screenshot application directly from the menu.
You Sir, are a saviour, and provided the solution to my question.
Thank you very much.

I take these screenshots, I post them usually, and delete them almost immediately.... hundreds of times a day..... now I can just hit my little pinky finger after I rename it.... Job '1' done, as Ford Motor Company likes to say.

[Solved]

PrintScrn Default changed to Desktop.png
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Change the Default location for Screenshot to save to [Solved]

Post by smurphos »

No worries - you are welcome.

There are lots of otherwise 'hidden' settings lurking in gsettings. gsettings list-recursively will show them all.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Wow!

That is going to be useful tomorrow for another project.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Dconf Editor is another way to access and edit them - it's a GUI app available from Software manager.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

smurphos wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:40 am Dconf Editor is another way to access and edit them - it's a GUI app available from Software manager.
Dconf Editor is in my Software Manager but also loads with sudo apt-get install dconf-tools . Still, it is Greek to me. :(

After inserting my user name the text provided earlier does NOT change the printscreen default (Pictures) to Desktop for me. :(

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Hi Ozo, - yes dconf-tools is a metapackage that installs both the gui editor and command line versions of dconf.

Are you definitely using the default Gnome Screenshot?

Please give the output of gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory

Return to “Beginner Questions”