What to do if you can't login to Linux Mint 18.x

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darroch

Re: What to do if you can't login to Linux Mint 18.x

Post by Darroch »

Same thing happened to me yesterday with Linux Mint 18.1 (Serena). Three virtualbox level 3 updates were offered in the Update Manager, and, as I have experienced no problems with these updates in the past, I simply went ahead and installed them. Result: I could boot to the login screen but not get into the full system after entering my user name and password.Very unusual with a Linux Mint level 3 update. In my case after booting to the root user command prompt via the recover option in grub I found that my filesystem had been left in read-only mode and had to remount the root partition like this:

mount -o remount,rw /

Then get rid of the corrupt virtualbox installation like so:

apt-get remove virtualbox*

(Which removes all naughty virtualbox packages.)

Ta-da!

Up and running again.

Hopefully the people managing the repositories will do better in future.

(Thankfully things like this are rare but a real pain when they happen and sometimes hard to fix. If the botched computer is your only convenient means of internet access looking on forums, like this one, for solutions can be difficult if not impossible.)
Benedetto
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Benedetto »

To say this issue has been a nightmare might be an understatement.
In a previous post I reported that I was able gain access eventually, following advice here, to Linux Mint. I also commented that I was unable to get internet access.
Investigating I also noticed that the firewall was being turned off all the time. Also for some inexplicable reason the display had me listed as on a laptop - I was using my desktop! The consequence was an enlarged display screen. I went back to W10.
This morning, after a nights sleep and some thought I ran Timeshift, which put me back six days. Now everything was fine, internet and a sensible screen display.
But, later I got updates. :shock: Noting the virtualbox ones - and having read on this Forum that updates would be forthcoming - I went ahead and installed them all, with the result I was back to square one again!!!!! No Log In no internet etc. etc.
After the second attempt to remove the virtual box guest again I was back up and running again.
I have to be honest, if the second attempt had not been reasonably simple that would have been the end of my Linux experience. Having used Mint since last August was reluctant to ditch it. However, whilst I am no guru as far as pc's are concerned some fifteen years or so do give a degree of knowledge. The issue for many with Linux is that it does require a degree of learning, particularly cognisance of what the various terminology actually means and what procedures can be used, whereas Microsoft does tend to hold peoples hands somewhat when troubles arise.
Last edited by Benedetto on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 21:2 Cinnamon 5.8.4 - Desktop
Linux Mint 21:2 - VAIO Laptop
zedki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zedki »

Yep, I did the Virtualbox update too.
I should know better, I dont use it

My data for xenopeek
zedki@luzici ~ $ inxi -SGxx
System: Host: luzici Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7640G]
bus-ID: 00:01.0 chip-ID: 1002:9903
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1600x900@60.19hz
GLX Renderer: AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.0-37-generic, LLVM 5.0.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
To have no errors,
Would be life without meaning,
No struggle, No Joy
ng745

Post by ng745 »

I'm having the same problems as of yesterday evening. I have tried the instructions in this post but have no luck logging in. After pressing CTRL Alt F1 I get the following:

Linux Mint 18.1 Serena Flame tty2

Flame login:

After putting in Flame or flame as my login and then entering my password (the one I use to update Mint) it keeps on saying Login incorrect. Could someone please explain where I am going wrong.

Sorry if this is a real newbie question but I am honestly stuck with this.
ShellKnobCat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ShellKnobCat »

When I enter Ctrl Alt F1 I get a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen and nothing happens. Now what?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ng745 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:02 amAfter pressing CTRL Alt F1 I get the following:

Flame login:

After putting in Flame or flame as my login and then entering my password (the one I use to update Mint) it keeps on saying Login incorrect. Could someone please explain where I am going wrong.
Are you sure your username is flame? The "Flame" it shows on the screen would be the name you have the computer.

Username should be typed in lower case letters. If you're sure "flame" is your username, make sure you type the password correctly. Is the password just simple letters and digits or are there any é or ë or similar characters that might not be typed correctly?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ShellKnobCat wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:03 amWhen I enter Ctrl Alt F1 I get a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen and nothing happens. Now what?
You can try Ctrl+Alt+F2 as well. I think it will give you the same result.

If you have Timeshift installed and configured on your system I'd suggest you boot from the Linux Mint installation DVD or USB thumb drive, and run Timeshift from there to roll back your operating system to a snapshot from before March 26th. That should get you back in your system.

If you don't have Timeshift you may try to use the recovery mode root console. For this you must know your root password. In the GRUB boot menu (if you only have Linux Mint on this computer hold down left shift key after turning the computer on, until the GRUB boot menu appears) select recovery mode and then drop to a root console. You may be asked to provide root's password to continue. After you are on the command line run this command to make changes possible:
mount -o remount,rw /
After that you can run the apt remove virtualbox-guest* command. Once that is finished run sync and then reboot.
Zero Dantez

Post by Zero Dantez »

I will immediately say that this worked for me.

To start with, I have two systems: A laptop and a desktop, each with the same setup practically. After rebooting my system, finally, I ran into this problem. In the past, I would have given up and just found it easier to reinstall, maybe try a different flavor of Linux I've heard a bit about, such as Zorin (yet to try it). Luckily for me, I was on my laptop and away from the majority of my USBs so I couldn't really do anything so, I figured I'd research. Tried something that worked on Mint 13, no luck. Saw this further down the thread on my phone, gave it a shot, worked immediately.

I actually forgot I had Virtual Box at any given point because I've been using VMware for my needs as of late or a spare laptop for testing. Ended up doing this to my main computer prior to shutting it down remotely, seems to have worked well.
ng745

Post by ng745 »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:12 am
ng745 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:02 amAfter pressing CTRL Alt F1 I get the following:

Flame login:

Are you sure your username is flame? The "Flame" it shows on the screen would be the name you have the computer.

Username should be typed in lower case letters. If you're sure "flame" is your username, make sure you type the password correctly. Is the password just simple letters and digits or are there any é or ë or similar characters that might not be typed correctly?
I am not totally sure if it is my username. I don't have a username as I know of. My password is 4 letters (lower case) followed by 4 numbers. When I normally start the computer it comes up with the Mint logo and then I'm straight into Mint. I don't have to put a username in. I have tried to just press enter when asked and it just repeats Linux Mint 18.1 etc.
ShellKnobCat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ShellKnobCat »

That did it! Thank you!!!!!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ng745 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:28 amI am not totally sure if it is my username. I don't have a username as I know of. My password is 4 letters (lower case) followed by 4 numbers. When I normally start the computer it comes up with the Mint logo and then I'm straight into Mint. I don't have to put a username in. I have tried to just press enter when asked and it just repeats Linux Mint 18.1 etc.
You must have auto login enabled. But yes, you do have a username even if you don't know it.

You can boot from the Linux Mint installation DVD or USB thumb drive, open the file manager from there and browse to your hard disk from there and look in the home directory there to find your username. Or instead you can use Timeshift if you have it or boot into recovery mode as I shared above for another member:
If you have Timeshift installed and configured on your system I'd suggest you boot from the Linux Mint installation DVD or USB thumb drive, and run Timeshift from there to roll back your operating system to a snapshot from before March 26th. That should get you back in your system.

If you don't have Timeshift you may try to use the recovery mode root console. For this you must know your root password. In the GRUB boot menu (if you only have Linux Mint on this computer hold down left shift key after turning the computer on, until the GRUB boot menu appears) select recovery mode and then drop to a root console. You may be asked to provide root's password to continue. After you are on the command line run this command to make changes possible:
mount -o remount,rw /
After that you can run the apt remove virtualbox-guest* command. Once that is finished run sync and then reboot.
ng745

Post by ng745 »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:33 am
ng745 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:28 amI am not totally sure if it is my username. I don't have a username as I know of. My password is 4 letters (lower case) followed by 4 numbers. When I normally start the computer it comes up with the Mint logo and then I'm straight into Mint. I don't have to put a username in. I have tried to just press enter when asked and it just repeats Linux Mint 18.1 etc.
You must have auto login enabled. But yes, you do have a username even if you don't know it.

You can boot from the Linux Mint installation DVD or USB thumb drive, open the file manager from there and browse to your hard disk from there and look in the home directory there to find your username. Or instead you can use Timeshift if you have it or boot into recovery mode as I shared above for another member:

mount -o remount,rw /
I don't have the installation disk anymore. Can I just download mint onto a USB stick? Does it have to be Mint 18.1 that I download? I'm not sure what Timeshift is or if I have it installed.
When you say Boot do you mean when the computer is starting I press one of the F keys?
Sorry for all the questions and sounding like a beginner, I want to make sure I understand things. Coming from using Windows, Linux seems to be somewhat hard to get my head around and the terminology is different.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

I use Mint 17.3 on my regular daily computer, but have Mint 18.3 on my second, or "spare" computer. I've been a little slow to update this latter one. I have never used Virtual Box and know nothing about it....

The advice in this thread focuses on what to do to recover the situation if you have already updated Mint 18.x and suffered the login problem.

What is the advice to those who haven't yet updated, on how to avoid the problem? Should we not update at all for the moment? Or go ahead with other updates but not the one which affects Virtual Box and causes the login glitch. Precisely which update is that?

Basically I'm looking for guidance on prevention rather than cure!
Last edited by br1anstorm on Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

ng745 wrote:Coming from using Windows, Linux seems to be somewhat hard to get my head around and the terminology is different.
It can be challenging if you're used to different terminology. :)

For clarity on your username, it was what you chose during installation. See this image for an example, where (from top-down) there's a display name, a computer name, and a username.

Joe
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

br1anstorm wrote:What is the advice to those who haven't yet updated, on how to avoid the problem? Should we not update at all for the moment? Or go ahead with other updates but not the one which affects Virtual Box and causes the login glitch. Precisely which update is that?
As of yesterday (2018-03-26) update manager already addresses this automatically by removing the offending packages before other updates are applied. Just be sure to refresh your list of updates before applying anything to ensure you're getting the latest disposition.

Joe
ng745

Post by ng745 »

ng745 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:50 am
xenopeek wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:33 am

mount -o remount,rw /
I don't have the installation disk anymore. Can I just download mint onto a USB stick? Does it have to be Mint 18.1 that I download? I'm not sure what Timeshift is or if I have it installed.
When you say Boot do you mean when the computer is starting I press one of the F keys?
Sorry for all the questions and sounding like a beginner, I want to make sure I understand things. Coming from using Windows, Linux seems to be somewhat hard to get my head around and the terminology is different.
Have managed to find my username, I had it written down on my phone all along :roll:
I followed your instructions and have got Mint to work again :D
Thanks xenopeek for all your help!!
ng745

Post by ng745 »

JoeFootball wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:06 pm
ng745 wrote:Coming from using Windows, Linux seems to be somewhat hard to get my head around and the terminology is different.
It can be challenging if you're used to different terminology. :)

For clarity on your username, it was what you chose during installation. See this image for an example, where (from top-down) there's a display name, a computer name, and a username.

Joe
Thanks for the info Joe. You're sure right that it can be challenging! Especially when you're as daft as me :shock:
eflester

Post by eflester »

Thank you for the solution.

This is the output that you requested.

System: Host: [xxx] Kernel: 4.4.0-93-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0102
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Desktop
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
ekyu88

Post by ekyu88 »

Had the same issue. Thanks for posting the solution. Here is my Dell Laptop info:

System: Host: IS13254 Kernel: 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Venus XTX [Radeon HD 8890M / R9 M275X/M375X]
bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:6820
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.02hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
traxgen

Post by traxgen »

Greetings , after this horrible virtualbox update i have one problem with grub boot menu and i can not resolve it . I have mint 18.3 x64 and win 7 x86 . As you can see @ pictures when grub shows at my laptop screen as default boot option is Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit . If i press enter im observing bootscreen with linux mint logo and after that my screen remains complete black and nothing happens . Desktop not appears . But when i press Advanced options in grub menu my only solution to use my mint os with desktop is to boot linux kernel as systemd . As recovery mode i can not startx .... Any suggestions ? Thanks !

ImageImage

Return to “Beginner Questions”