What to do if you can't login to Linux Mint 18.x

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
firehawk74
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What to do if you can't login to Linux Mint 18.x

Post by firehawk74 »

Thank you kindly for this solution!!
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I tried to remove virtualbox-guest*, rebooted, and tried again but it gave me the same error. I tried purging virtualbox-guest*, rebooted, tried again, same error. I tried to remove virtualbox*, rebooted, tried again, same error. I tried purging virtualbox*, rebooted, tried again, same error. I don't know what else I could do at this point, please help.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:05 pmIf you're on Linux Mint 18.x and after trying to login you get the error "your session lasted only 10 seconds" that may be due to a very recent update to VirtualBox packages that you would have installed previously. If on the error you can view details and you do that and see "Initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart" this is almost certainly the problem you have.
Is the bold part the case for you? I suggest you create a new topic to ask for support with your problem. While the symptoms may be the same I doubt you have the solved issue from March for the first time almost in July. There can be other causes for the same symptoms.

Return to “Beginner Questions”