"your session only lasted 10 seconds"

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
zealbert
Level 1
Level 1

"your session only lasted 10 seconds"

Post by zealbert »

I suddenly got this message, "your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, ....etc...which from what I see is not an uncommon problem, but under "view details", it says: initctl: unable to connect to Upstart: failed to connect to Syndaemon: no process found.
/etc /mdm/Xsession: beginning session setup...
localuser : paul being added to access control list

I am running Mint 18.3, desktop, installed about 3 months ago, haven't done anything to it, except update everything that shows up that is level 3 or less.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: "your session only lasted 10 seconds"

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
roylond

Post by roylond »

Hi I get the same message except that when I open the view details I get the following
syndaemon: no process found /etc/mdm/x session: Beginning session startup... localuser roy being added to the access control list

I don't have virtual box installed
Like zealbert I only install updates level 3 or less.
This is essential to me to get it running again as it is my only os now I have moved away from windows and up to now have few problems.
The annoying thing is that I tried to log in to do my weekly backup.
roylond

SOLVED Re: "your session only lasted 10 seconds"

Post by roylond »

Hi I read through other post and found that by at the login screen Ctrl+Alt+F1 then sudo apt-get purge virtualbox-guest-X11 cleared the problem
Thanks
Boca
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boca »

I hit this problem when booting up this morning and remembered seeing this thread so was able to be up and running very quickly... thanks to all.

Quick question...
when using Alt-Ctrl-F1 from the login screen, to run "apt remove virtualbox* " , what is the recommended way of exiting from this terminal... i ended up doing a hard reboot which I know is not recommended.

Tony
Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles »

Try Ctrl-Alt- F7
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Boca wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:58 am
when using Alt-Ctrl-F1 from the login screen, to run "apt remove virtualbox* " , what is the recommended way of exiting from this terminal
Press ctrl-d
press alt-left
You are back in the graphical environment.
wizworm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wizworm »

Hey y' all...

For me even though I have virtualbox installed and updated it a couple of days ago there was no need to purge/remove any of the vbox packages.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get -f install

and then

sudo apt remove

some unassociated mesa modules did the trick.

@Moem and Cosmo:

Guys, thanx for pointing the things out. I've been a silent follower for some time, but this is actually a first post for me!
It's a pity though that I'm @ work now and could not paste the Xserver error that I got. I read, between others, screen not found...

Cheers!
Last edited by wizworm on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

wizworm wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:17 am
sudo apt-get upgrade
If you're going to give people that command, you should always add the warning that it circumvents the levels set in the Mint Updater. :!:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

The application VirtualBox is not related to the problem, only the virtualbox guest packages, which are - for most, but not for all users - pre-installed in Mint.
jgg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jgg »

Instructions to remove virtual box Guest worked fine for me, thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”